The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 18, 1999, 11:21 PM   #1
skeeter

I have a pre-70 series 9mm Lt. Wt Commander that is in new condition. I was hoping to sell it so I could buy a .45 Commander.As this looks like it won't happen I was wondering if I could put a slide/barrel assembily from a .45 in the 9mm frame. I think the only problem might be the ejector. Will the 9mm one work with .45's?
Also will the 70 series barrel/slide work on a 80 series Officer frame?
Old December 18, 1999, 11:26 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

To answer your first question, no. You would need a different ejector.

Without trying it, I think the 70 series slide will work OK on the 80 frame, but of course the 70 slide does not have the firing pin lock.

Jim
Old December 18, 1999, 11:26 PM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Skeeter, you will have to replace the ejector and if you are getting a stripped slide you will need a different firing pin and extractor as well. Brownells, www.brownells.com, sells a little spacer called the wedge I think that will allow you to use a Series 70 slide on an 80 frame. George
Old December 19, 1999, 10:40 AM   #4
Mikey

skeeter,

Besides the ejector, which has already been covered, you would also need to have the feed ramp recut for the 45. Since you have the light weight aluminum frame, that may cause some metalurgical problems since you're getting past the original surface of the aluminum. George may know for sure.

What kind of problem are you having in selling this little beauty? An IDPA shooter ought to snap it up if the price is right.

Mikey
Old December 19, 1999, 08:58 PM   #5
BillOH

Skeeter, Check your e-mail. Bill
Old December 20, 1999, 12:50 AM   #6
skeeter

Mikey,
Have not shot the 9mm for 30 years and had no problems then.The widson of the years has shone that the .45 is better than the 9mm. As pre-70 series are semi-collector peices, the gun is like new and there may be no more Colts I would not sell it cheap.
Old December 20, 1999, 05:46 PM   #7
Daniel Watters

If you do get a new ejector for use with .45 ACP, make certain that it is specificly for the Commander Model, not the Government Model. The ejectors for the Commander, Officer's ACP, and non-.45 Government Models have a different side-to-side profile than the standard .45 Government Model ejector.

The differences between the Commander (et al) ejectors come down to over-all length and tip-angle.