The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 8, 2000, 10:52 AM   #1
KilgorII

First does anyone have an email address for Remington? I searched and searched their website but could not find one.

As you could gather from my posts in my other thread I am on a search to find a 12 gauge shotgun for my fiance that is light enough, cheap enough, and has enough changeable variables. I am looking at a new Remington 870 Wingmaster in 12 gauge with the 26" vent rib barrel with the rem choke in the end. It weighs 6 3/4 lbs according to their website and it should lose some of that by cutting the stock down.

My questions are:

Is there any mechanical difference between the Remington 870 express and the Remington 870 Wingmaster LC? Or is it just looks? If not then why does the Wingmaster weigh a half pound less? They both shoot 3" shells.

Can the barrel from an 870 express be put on a Wingmaster?

Can a slug barrel be bought for the Wingmaster?

Do you guys think this is a decent choice? I have a Remington 870 express with the 28" vent rib and the 21" rifle sighted slug barrel. I would like to set her up the same way and the Wingmaster looks like the way to go. It's lighter and prettier. The prettier we could do without, but it is a plus as she is female.

[This message has been edited by KilgorII (edited August 08, 2000).]

Old August 8, 2000, 11:10 AM   #2
jthuang

AFAIK, there is no functional difference between the 870 Express and Wingmaster. The only differences are the quality of wood and finish. The "better" wood might be lighter, who knows.

Justin

------------------
Justin T. Huang, Esq.
late of Kennett Square, Pennsylvania
Old August 8, 2000, 11:29 AM   #3
ruger45

Since you brought up Remmmington I thought Id ask
Has anyone heard of a tube extension for the
remminton 1100 autoloader ,ya know 7+1 insteard of 5 plus one.
NO I do not want to hear the 7 to 800 dollar word benelli.
Also is it just me or are the 1100's indentical to the new charle's daley autoloader.
Or actually the CD's identical to the rem's.

------------------
"those who sacrifice
liberty for security deserve neither"
Old August 8, 2000, 02:16 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The LC bbl means Light Contour. There's less steel in the LC bbls, and that drops the weight some. This may be to your advantage, since you're going to crop the stock,dropping the weight aft. Shotguns too light in the front are called muzzle light,and are hard to swing smoothly.

Ideally, the balance point should be roughly centered between the hands, when grasped as if to shoot.

I'm gonna start a thread about the Rule of 96, so you can see what and how weight and balance plays a part.
Old August 8, 2000, 11:12 PM   #5
Jesse168

The Wingmaster 870 is a better gun overall than the Express. Remington takes more time and effort on assembly and fitting of the Wingmaster. They also use American Black Walnut. Not Walnut finish on another kind of wood. Remington also uses closer tolarances on the Wingmaster than on the Express. Inother words the Express is Remington's low grade pump they make to compete with low dollar competition shotguns.

If you are looking for less recoil try a gas operated simi-auto like the 1100 or 11-87 if they are legal in your state.

Jesse
Old August 9, 2000, 02:52 AM   #6
Captain Bligh

With all due respect, I question whether Jesse is correct on this. I believe Remingtons web site states that the internals of the Express and Wingmaster are identical. The only difference is the wood used in the stocks plus the wingmaster has deep blued metal. Functionally, they are the same.

RJ

------------------
"Never turn your back on the crew."
Old August 9, 2000, 06:12 AM   #7
po boy

[QUOTE]Ruger
thought I saw mag extentions in the Brownells catalog #52 & 53
Old August 9, 2000, 06:05 PM   #8
ModIMark0

Ruger45,
Remington Arms has manufactured +2 and +3 round magazine extensions that are available in blue or parkerized finishes. They also included a magazine spring and support bracket. I don't think that they are generally available (I did pick up a Remington law enforcement products catalog at the '94 NRA show that had them as an available item). Sometimes they are advertised in Shotgun News or Gunlist by individual sellers for 50-65 dollars, but I have not seen them lately. Perhaps there is an FFL dealer in your area that can order it from Remington, since I doubt they would sell to individuals.
There are other manufacturers of +2, +3 and +5 extensions that include Choate Machine and Tool, Tac Star, and Wilson's Scattergun Technologies division.