The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 7, 2013, 12:43 AM   #1
jabames

Binoculars

What are the best binoculars to buy for de huntin :3 (not too expensive), that are very durable and of high quality optics. About de price range of 300-400 dollars.
Old July 7, 2013, 05:33 AM   #2
bswiv

VERY hard to answer question so I'll only offer so insight from what I've found.

Magnification.....more is not necessarily better. If you will be using them from a STABLE position with support then 10, or even 12 power can be used but if you plan on using them from a boat or moving truck go lower. I've got a pair of 10X Steiner ( Very clear ) but holding them stable is a hard thing. Even the vibration of the truck motor will transfer into a bit of shaking.

Objective lens........bigger may be better.....as long as the size of the binocular does not become a problem. Bigger helps with light gathering, which in hunting/scouting situations may be important.

Eye relief.........if you wear glasses this is well worth considering.

Others will add on but this gives you something to start on.

And do know that if you look about you'll find that the various manufactures will offer "Open Box" & "Salesman Sample" & "Refurbished" models for sale that generally come with full warranties........a great way to go!
Old July 7, 2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

7x35 or 8x40 in a lightweight binocular has always worked best for me. Field of view seems more important than higher magnification.
Old July 7, 2013, 10:17 AM   #4
AllenJ

Quote:
Field of view seems more important than higher magnification.
+1 for that statement. There are many companies making good binoculars in the price range you stated. I would take a hard look at the Vortex brand, the reviews I'm seeing on their products is outstanding and the pair I got to use really impressed me.
Old July 7, 2013, 10:26 AM   #5
skywag

Celestron 8x56

Cheap, fast, good!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321153202445...84.m1438.l2649
Old July 7, 2013, 11:13 AM   #6
myfriendis410

Within the price range you stated, there are a number of excellent binoculars to choose from. My two would be: Leupold Green Ring in a 10X and the Nikon Monarch, also in 10X. I've spent a lot of time behind glass out here and a couple of things to help in your decision. Light binoculars mean more comfort and the ability to hold steady for long periods of glassing. Roof prism binoculars are clearer, brighter, and much lighter than poro prism. An objective size of 40 using a 10X magnification is all you need as the exit pupil (what defines the amount of light delivered to the eye) is actually greater than the human eye. 4 mm is the standard used for this measurement and is derived by dividing the objective by the magnification (40/10=4mm).

Beyond that one pays for: how well the lenses are positioned, how strongly they are mounted, the quality of the glass used and the coating on the lenses. These things will dictate in large part how bright and clear they are and in low light conditions the quality of the glass and coatings can be miraculous.

Spend as much as you can afford. Don't buy variable power. Buy a roof prism. Get a good harness. You'll never be sorry.
Old July 7, 2013, 11:41 AM   #7
jmr40

Buy 2-3 pairs of these.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x30-BX-1-Yo...ar-P48061.aspx

The 6X30's are what you want instead of the 8X30's. I've looked at a lot of binoculars and these are the best buy I've run across. There are better binoculars, but nothing in your $300-$400 price range is any better. You'll have to spend a lot more than that to buy anything better.
Old July 7, 2013, 11:51 AM   #8
Nathan

What is de hunting?

Where do you hunt? Terrain? Distances? Other uses?
Old July 7, 2013, 11:59 AM   #9
big al hunter

I have tried many brands over the years. The best quality for price has been Vortex. http://vortexoptics.com the prices listed on their website are MSRP, you will find them for less at retailers. More than 10 power seems to limit my field of view too much unless they are too large to carry afield. I prefer a 10x50 or 8x40. I hunt in broken timber and open clearcuts. My vortex diamondback in 8x40 works well in close up brush and clearcuts out to 500+ yards. I also had a pair of Wind River (Leopold imported from somewhere, can't remember where) 10x50 that were very good. Price in 2001 or 2002 was $300.

Whatever you decide on, look through them before purchasing. Make sure you don't see double images. And check for clarity. Compare with as many other models as you can, side by side.

The best warranty is with Vortex. For any reason if your optics fail send them back for repair or replacement. That speaks volumes to their quality. You won't stay in business very long with that policy if your product is not the best.
Old July 7, 2013, 12:32 PM   #10
PawPaw

I picked up a Nikon 10X50 a couple of years ago at a big box store for about $100.00.

Great binoculars for my purposes. They've ridden on ATVs, in the back of pickup trucks, been slung around my neck, and have held up wonderfully. Nice and bright, they're my go-to binocs when I want to carry a set in the field.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 7, 2013, 01:40 PM   #11
JerryM

Considering weight, ability to see in poor light, and FOV I am persuaded that either 7X35 or 8X 30/32 offer the best combination for hunting. I have hunted with various people who were so proud of their 7X50 or even 10X50. They might look great in ways , but you have to carry them. They always ended up being left in camp after the first couple of days.

The small bins lilke 10X20/25 do not have the light gathering powr for early and late hunting. In my view over 8 power makes the shake too noticeable unless you can rest over something or sitting.

Porro prisim glasses are better in the moderate price as they are not so difficult to manufacture.

There are some good brands like Nikon, Vortex and Leupold. I have been happy with good Bushnell.

Here is a forum that is a bird forum, but has a section about bins. Of course the requirement for bird watching, considering the size and colors of birds are somewhat different from hunting, and they tend toward 10-12X. But they have a lot of expertise.
http://www.birdforum.net/index.php

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 7, 2013, 03:22 PM   #12
jabames

I hunt in Tundra, marshes, woodland, and the most we can glass out at times is like into meadows and not that far, Im getting a cheap pair of 8x42s and later on I wanna get a lil more spendy ones .
Old July 7, 2013, 04:36 PM   #13
JerryM

Here is a review of mid-priced binoculars. It is interesting considering that the price is not necessarily the criterion.
http://www.birdwatching.com/optics/2...ns/review.html

I continue to think that for hunting lighter and less bulky is better within reason.
Hope this helps.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 7, 2013, 08:24 PM   #14
Cowboy_mo

I will recommend very highly the MINOX brand!! Mine are 10 x 40 and are extremely clear with adjustable eye cups to change the eye relief. I purchased them in 2010 in preparation to going to South Africa.

They are extremely clear and comfortable to use for long periods of time. I think I paid about $250 for them from Camerland of NY. My pH in Africa was using Zeiss and I couldn't tell the difference in the quality of glass and the Zeiss are much more expensive. The pH also commented on the quality of Minox.
Old July 7, 2013, 09:44 PM   #15
fatwhiteboy

I have had quite a few mid-priced binos over the years. I finally gave in, saved up my money and bought a pair of Leica 10X50's for glassing. Expensive, yes. But the first time I used them, it was, "Oh, OK. I understand." When I am walking, stalking, I use a pair of Nikon Travelites. They fit in my pocket and and are reasonably clear...
Old July 7, 2013, 11:27 PM   #16
Nate Shult

I have a set of Leupold Cascades 8x42. I have been very impressed with them. I use them while deer hunting, mostly in thicker terrain from my bow stand. I am impressed with the light transmission and the field of view. I also use them pretty extensively for scouting goose hunting fields. If I see the birds land a half mile out in a section they tell me exactly where the birds landed so I can set up there in the morning. When I see a flock of 12 set down I use them to see how many other birds are already there, and what size the family flocks are. I can do this effectively from somewhere around 600-800 yards and in, looking out into black plowed fields trying to find black and brown birds. If I spend a lot of time looking through them I don't experience any eye fatigue whatsoever. If you are looking at other binocs for comparison I would definitely check out either the Redfield line or the Nikon Monarchs (also supposed to be a very, very good value).
Old July 9, 2013, 06:17 PM   #17
22-rimfire

I have a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x42 that I like a lot for the money. Believe I paid $300 for them and suspect they are a tad more expensive now.

Also have a pair of Leupold Yosemite 6x30 that I use for general use and hunting in the woods. Like them a lot and take them kayaking, canoeing, and other places potentially dangerous to binocs. Inexpensive at about $100-$120. I have been most impressed with these low cost binocs.

Don't waste your money on the $39.95 binoculars.

Have looked at the Leupold Cascades mentioned above and they seem like okay binocs.
Old July 9, 2013, 06:37 PM   #18
Nathan

IME, I would spend $300 - $600 on Pentax, Minox, Nikon, or Leupold glass. Those all looked and felt good to me. Watch the field of view. That is a clear symbol of a model where they aren't using the whole lens, but you are carrying it.

8x42 is a great balanced approach. If you are doing much beyond 300 yards, 10x is better, but under 100 yards 6x or 7x is better IMO.
Old July 9, 2013, 06:59 PM   #19
taylorce1

I went from 8X32 Leupold RB800 binoculars to a set for Minox BL 10X42. Huge difference in my ability to spot deer and elk way off in the distance. It was a big difference as well in the field of view.

I went looking for Nikon or Leupold for binoculars but I'm very satisfied with the Minox. I bought them off of SWFA's "The Sample List". Another brand I seriously considered after asking several places was Zen Ray as they seem to have a huge following in the birding community.
Old July 10, 2013, 11:03 AM   #20
Kimber84

Binoculars

I have a set of Vortex Diamondbacks (~$220). They are the best binos I have ever used for hunting. Excellent warranty too, that I tested out .

Low light they are excellent, I've been at points in the day where its dark enough your eyes can't pick up movement well yet the binos grab that last bit of light and allow you to see deer moving.
Old July 10, 2013, 11:22 PM   #21
22-rimfire

My suggestion is to look carefully at the Leupold Yosemite 6x30 bincs. They work really well for hunting under 100 yds. You have to ask yourself what you are trying to accomplish with the binocs... looking for a flicking ear, identifying a white area at 200 yds.... maybe the 8x are better. But overall, I find that I used the 6x30's a lot simply because they are small, traditionally styled, and do well with gathering light.

The look at a more spendy pair. But I find that many people buy too high a powered binocs for their needs and as a result compromise on size or quality.
Old July 11, 2013, 10:06 PM   #22
doofus47

I had a pair of Vortex 6x binos. Maybe they are called vipers?
I dunno, but they are very nice. They cost about 250 or 300.

I used to use a pair of 6x German binos from WW2 so I could use the range finder. (Fyi, the small hash is 5' at 300 yards). The Vortex retired the german binos.
Old July 12, 2013, 08:13 PM   #23
skoro

For woods/outdoors/hiking use, I like Bushnell Elite 7x26 binos. Very compact and lightweight, so they don't become a pain in the neck carrying them all day. Very good glass. A top choice among fussy birdwatchers, who nitpick optics. About $300. I love mine and I'm no birdwatcher.

A little bigger, a little heavier, a little more expensive but definitely the Mercedes Benz of compact binos are the Canon image stabilized 8x25.
Old July 12, 2013, 11:59 PM   #24
Major Dave (retired)

My go to binos vary

with what kind of hunting I do.

For "sneaking and peeking" in thick cover 6 or 8 hours at a stretch, I use the Leopold 6X30 Yosemite. They are light weight, have a wide field of view, and also a deep field of view (no need to change the focus every 20 or 30 yards of distance). Cost me less than $100, IIRC. I have used them for 2 years.

For sitting in an elevated box stand, or viewing open vistas, I recently bought a $480 pair of the new Nikon ATB Monarch 7. They feature ED (extra low dispersion) glass, and extra wide field of view. They are 8X40's, and would be used for longer range viewing. I can't hold a 10 power glass steady enough to prevent blurring the view, especially at longer distances. I just bought them, so haven't used them in the field, yet. I expect them to be good at gathering light in early and late use, and to give me a good enough sharpness of image to count antler points and mass at long distance.
Old July 15, 2013, 11:47 AM   #25
Mausermolt

i usually carry a pair of Redfield Rebel 10X50's with what i call a Bino-Bra.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binocular...-harness-strap

if im using a scoped rifle i dont carry binoculars, but archery hunting or hunting with iron sights its a must have item.