The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 11, 2001, 09:52 PM   #1
Dave3006

Anyone taken Cold Steel's "cut and don't be cut" seminar?

I am interested in getting feedback from anyone who has taken the Cold Steel knife fighting seminar "cut and don't be cut". I have 10 years of Karate, 5 years of BJJ, and 1 year of Judo. I don't know anything about fighting with a knife. I figure my Karate footwork, timing, and reaction will be useful. However, I need good instruction.

Thanks.
Old November 11, 2001, 10:13 PM   #2
swsurgeon

If Felix Valencia and/or Ron Balicki are involved in the training, it will be very good. I know both of them and am aware that they have trained with CS before. It would be worth inquiring. For Ron's background, check: www.ronbalicki.com

Ron teaches Thursday nights in the South Bay area, which probably isn't convenient for you, but he also does seminars if one of your schools wanted to sponsor one.
Old November 12, 2001, 11:02 AM   #3
Dave3006

Felix is involved. I spoke to him on the phone. A real professional guy. I am signed up for the Feb 23rd class. Unfortunately, they had to cancel the class in early November.
Old November 12, 2001, 04:22 PM   #4
swsurgeon

Good news, you'll really enjoy and benefit from training with Felix. If you are a fan of Cold Steel's products (several of which I like and own), you might want to bring a few extra bucks. They sometimes have some especially good deals for students. Also, don't be afraid to buy a Cold Steel "cosmetic blem". Their seconds are completely sound and as well finished as some companies' firsts.
Old November 14, 2001, 11:02 PM   #5
Jody Hudson

I agree on the Cold Steel "seconds" they are still the same high quality at an even lower price. Since I only get knives to use, the blemishes are no consequence to me.

I look forward to hearing more about the seminar training from someone who has gone or soon does.