The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2011, 08:33 PM   #1
DHAWK

Lee Turret Press Lube Help

I have just seet up a Lee Turrett press. Does the ram need to be lubed? the manual does not address that. Also, I read on previous posts that white lithium grease is recommended for the turrett. Can anyone help me with this? Thanks in advance for helping a newbie.
Old September 24, 2011, 08:45 PM   #2
m&p45acp10+1

A bit of light grease would not hurt I am sure. I used food service grade white grease on the ram of my Breech Lock Challenger, and it has held up for a year with no problems. If in doubt call Lee's Customer support. I am sure they will give you an awnser.
Old September 25, 2011, 10:18 AM   #3
overkill0084

On the ram I simply apply a few drops of synthetic motor oil and wipe off the excess.
I've found that motorcycle chain lube works well on the on the turret actuating rod (whatever it's real nomenclature is, I can't remember). It stays put rather nicely.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old September 25, 2011, 11:00 AM   #4
coptersteve

Lee Turret Press

I've had my turret press for 2 years now. I clean and lube the ram every couple of hundred loads. I use a light oil like Gibbs. After decapping a lot of casings I'll clean it. I removed the rod that turns the turret, it works better for me to turn it by hand. Some powders do not meter consistently, so I run the turret by hand. I have never lubed the turret, probably never will. Just keep it clean... I don't want any oil or grease around that part of my press.
Old September 25, 2011, 07:23 PM   #5
dickttx

I got my Classic Turret about nine months ago. The instructions said to use a light oil on the ram. I did that and it still has lube from that. It is much smoother working now. It was pretty rough when I first started using it.
I don't believe you are supposed to use any lube on the turret actuating rod as it only works in the little square plastic thingy. I have not used anything on any of my turrets.

This is what the Lee instructions say for the Classic Turret:

"Lubricate the ram and all pivot points with a lightweight
oil—gun, sewing machine or any weight motor
oil will work. Avoid water-displacing oils such as WD-
40. Coat bare metal parts with oil for storage like you
would any fine firearm."

Last edited by dickttx; September 25, 2011 at 07:28 PM.
Old September 25, 2011, 07:38 PM   #6
azphx55

You put ammo in it, so I treat it like a gun.

I clean and lube it with patches soaked in gun oil and even run bore snakes through the dies from time to time (no oil in the powder channel).
Old September 25, 2011, 07:41 PM   #7
Jim243

A couple drops of 3 in 1 oil on the ram is all I use, worked well for me for 7 years now, no problem.

Jim
Old September 25, 2011, 11:09 PM   #8
Hook686

Same here ... a couple drops 3-in-1 oil every few hundred round on the ram using a cleaning patch and a drop at the pivot points. Seems to work just fine for me.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old September 25, 2011, 11:10 PM   #9
Kyo

i spray mine with ballistol every once in a while and forget about it
4. Be be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
Old September 26, 2011, 06:29 AM   #10
twins

I've tried synthetic motor oil on the ram and it worked fine but attracted dirt quickly.

Then I tried the Lee Resizing Lubricant and it worked great. It dries quickly and doesn't seem to attract dirt or other grime at all. The RAM now moves smoothly.
http://leeprecision.com/xcart/RESIZE-LUBE.html