The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2011, 11:07 AM   #1
mapsjanhere

light 338 Barnes TTSX - any experience?

My usual hunting gun is a 7x65R, but I've been unimpressed with that round on elk. Since I drew my dream tag for a trophy bull this fall I'm looking for a stronger alternative. My next gun up is a Win 70 in 338 WM, but I know I'm prone to flinching with that gun, especially offhand. Instead of buying something intermediate I'm thinking of loading some lighter bullets instead of the 210 Noslers that I've been using to tame the gun a bit, and the Barnes solids are available in 160 and 185 gr. Does any one have experience with those bullets, and some load suggestions?
Old June 16, 2011, 01:59 PM   #2
AllenJ

I've shot a M70 in 338 Win Mag using 210 NP's but it had been magnaported. It kicked just a little harder than my 30/06 and I did not notice it being nearly as loud as with some recoil reducers. It kicked a lot less than my 300 Win Mag.

Last edited by AllenJ; June 16, 2011 at 03:02 PM.