The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 17, 2000, 09:16 PM   #1
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi folks,

We have a chain store called "Dicks" (really) here in Columbia. They have an "OK" selection of sporting guns and ammo. I stopped in last night for a box of .308 and noticed a guy buying these slugs.

He got six boxes as they were priced at the previously mentioned $1.99 a box.

Six boxes came home with me too. Any thoughts as to their effectiveness? Can't verify that all stores have these at that price, but those of you who have a "Dicks" may want to take a look.

Giz
Old September 18, 2000, 04:49 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A decade or so ago, Peter Capstick wrote of taking a Cape Buffalo with Brennekes, said they gave almost complete penetration and stopped the critter well.
I've used them on whitetails, excellent performance.

Good price...
Old September 18, 2000, 05:16 AM   #3
old hawk

brennkes from dynamit nobel are with out a doubt the best slugs i have shot yet next to wasp style ones in a sabot,for 2$ bucks a box i wouldve cleaned them out, i have used them on deer to black bear and they are indeed very effective even more so than a standard punkin ball cup slug.here 6-7 for 5 rounds.u lukked out.........
Old September 18, 2000, 06:18 AM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

OK - took a hard look at the rounds last night. It appears the ammo is loaded by the Kent Cartridge company with Brenneke slugs. I'll put'em on paper this week and see what they do. I like the idea of inexpensive ammo with one of the best projectiles going as a payload.

Giz
Old September 18, 2000, 06:33 AM   #5
oberkommando

After doing barrier tests with a few different slugs I choose the brenneke as the best. BTW what weight are they, I really like their 600 grain version.
Old September 18, 2000, 11:07 AM   #6
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

One ounce..... 2 3/4 length.

Giz
Old September 18, 2000, 03:04 PM   #7
DaMan

Gizmo, that's about half the price of the Rottweil Brenneke 1 oz. slugs.

The Rottweil Brennekes are still the most effective slugs on the market. Very accurate!

Please tell us how these Kent loaded Brennekes work for you!

Regards! DaMan
Old September 20, 2000, 05:51 AM   #8
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I went and got some at the "Dick's" near here. Apt name,I worked there briefly. But the slugs are as advertised, Brennekes from Germany loaded into cartridges by Kent. Price was $1.99, while the usual Brennekes are $6.99.

The "Old" Brennekes shot about the same in my deer 870s as my Winchester duty loads,and to about the same POA. Since I finally ran out of duty loads, I'll try these and some newer Winchester loads to see how they do.

BTW, terminal performance is not an issue for 12 ga slugs on whitetail. ALL work well when inserted properly.
Old September 20, 2000, 10:43 AM   #9
J-Weaver

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gizmo99:
[B]Hi folks,

We have a chain store called "Dicks" (really) here in Columbia. They have an "OK" selection of sporting guns and ammo. I stopped in last night for a box of .308 and noticed a guy buying these slugs.

He got six boxes as they were priced at the previously mentioned $1.99 a box.

Hey Mr. Thompson..guess who? Give you a hint...between me and my buddy we actualy got 9 boxes...which are all but gone now. Still cant get the little lady anywhere near the shotgun:-( BTW, thanks for pointing me in the direction on TFL. Great newsgroup! I can't attest to the terminal performance of the Brenneke KO slugs, but they punched through 4 milkjugs and a few phonebooks quite easily. I wanted to stop one to see how much deformation/weight loss there was. Think I'l have to use water filled 55gallon drums to stop these things.
There had to be some sore of mixup with Dick's pricing. There prices are usuaaly average-high compaired to the gunshops. Cheaper-Than-Dirt lists the exact same Kent loaded K.O. slugs at 3.97 and the origonal Rotweil slugs at 3.99..plus shiping. Gotta be a fluke. Now if they would just mess up and put their 10mm ammo at 9mm prices.
Jason
Old September 20, 2000, 05:54 PM   #10
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

I have seen the KO at good prices from other outlets, even from the (often scalpingly high, and usually dishonest) Sportsman's Guide. I am very interested in their accuracy.
Old September 20, 2000, 07:03 PM   #11
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Hi Jason! Welcome!! BTW, Mr. Thompson was my dad...

Giz
Old September 21, 2000, 05:23 AM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Re Brenneke performance on whitetails, a coupla actual shootings...

Large button buck, dressed weight about 85 lbs, 20 yards quartering on,slug broke L shoulder, penetrated to impact R rear leg. Deer went maybe 15 yards.Total penetration close to 30 inches even with impacting major bone.

Yearling doe,FDW about 100 lbs, broadside at 10 yards,slug entered at shoulder crease,40 yard bloodtrail and exit wound of major trauma.

2 1/2 year old buck,FDW of about 120-30, broadside shot,40 yards, broke both shoulders and exited. DRT.

Mature doe, FDW close to 160 lbs,shot in shoulder crease at 25 yards, 50 yd trail,lungs shredded, slug exited.
Old September 22, 2000, 11:55 PM   #13
LiquidTension

Wow lots of you local guys here. I worked at the Dick's in Columbia for a couple of months, and you are correct that it's an appropriate name. I worked back in the lodge but that was before all the buckshot came in. I'll pick up a few boxes next time I'm in there. Every now and then they have some decent sale prices. Handgun ammo is decently priced, especially on sale. .380, 9mm, and .38 were on sale for $8/box. Not bad for factory loaded stuff (not reloads like that blue box crap) in a retail store.
Old September 23, 2000, 07:41 AM   #14
45King

Hey Giz, where the heck is "Dick's," and how come I've never heard of it 'till now?

Geez, I gotta get out more often.

------------------
Shoot straight & make big holes, regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center
Old September 23, 2000, 05:03 PM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Richard, Dick's Sporting goods is a chain with branches in many states, One's here in Columbia, Md. Another seems to be in Columbia, SC.

Dick's carries a variety of goods,including golf,workout,biking, hunting and fishing. The downside is that no handguns are carried, when a customer buys a gun an employee has to carry it out of the store for him or her, and while they proclaim a policy of hiring people experienced in the sports they sell stuff in, they're more interested in selling just as much as possible regardless of whether it's waht the customer wants or needs.

Example, a customer came in with a bow the manager had sold him and set up. The man, a sedentary middle aged man, had been sold a 75 lb,ultra short length compound that required him to aim it at the sky to draw. Accuracy was a joke.

I turned the thing down to about 66 lbs, set the draw length to the right one for this customer,took all the pins off the expensive sight except one, set that one for 20 yards and got the guy shooting. He walked out smiling, and I got my butt chewed by the manager for "Wasting time". I quit not long thereafter.

Now I use Dick's when a 20 miles trip to Guns R Us is not possible.
Old September 24, 2000, 03:06 AM   #16
LiquidTension

Haha didn't think to look at your home state. My retarded self figured you were talking about MY Columbia.

Seems that all of the stores in that chain are the same. I got chewed out for helping a guy with a rifle he'd just bought at a pawn shop. He had been told that it was a 7mm Mag, but when I tried to boresight the scope the 7mm adapter was too big. I tried the 6.5 adapter and it fit, but just to be sure I pulled the bolt off (something he hadn't been able to figure out...was a first for me too - 1905 Mauser) and tried to fit a 7mm and a 6.5 on the bolt. The 6.5 fit perfectly and the 7mm was way too big. That aside, we started sighting in the scope and found that it was no good - windage and elevation adjustment knobs didn't move the reticle at all. He bought a new scope and we mounted and boresighted it, and he left very thankful that I had discovered the real caliber. Afterward the manager bitched at me about how if something goes wrong with the gun the guy can blame it on me and sue the company. Shortly thereafter I quit (other assorted nonsense related to the business practices of management were involved).

BTW, I bought a box of those slugs today. Gonna test 'em out Monday =)
Old September 24, 2000, 09:58 AM   #17
DaMan

I see the Brenneke/Kent "K.O." slugs in the Cheaper than Dirt catalog for $2.99 per 5 rds. That's still a pretty good price. That $1.99 must have been a fluke. Maybe some stock boy had his labeling machine set incorrectly.

Cheaper than dirt also carries the Winchester 1 oz. "Foster" type slugs for $2.97. These aren't bad slugs either, but my slug guns (smoothe bore cyl. and imp. cyl.) prefere the Brenneke slug. I believe the Brenneke might have more "knock down" power, but it's like Dave McC said, discussion about which 12 ga. slug is more effective is purely academic.

If you shoot slugs in a smoothe bore, try both of the above mentioned slugs.

Regards! DaMan

Old September 24, 2000, 05:12 PM   #18
PVerdieck

I bought a bunch of them (12g 2.75 1oz.) for 2.49 + tax today, at Bass Pro Shop. I have also been trying Remington, Winchester, and Remington reduced load slugs.
Old September 24, 2000, 05:27 PM   #19
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

DaMan, if stores three states apart have the same price, it's not the stock boy's fault.
My deer 970 was zeroed for the Winchester slugs, they were my duty load for years. But I shot them up, then bought some more at Dick's a month or so ago.

Also, the Rottweil Brennekes shoot to the same POI at 50 yards as the Winchesters,so my zero MAY hold with both of these slugs. If not, I'll zero for the tighter grouping and keep the others in case Mastodon season comes back(G).

BTW, my most spectacular slugging was with the Winchester load. Hit a meat doe at about 35 yards,high shoulder, left a crater 4 fingers deep and 3 wide,very short blood trail. Hunting buddy witnessed it, asked if I was using some secret load only available to Law Enforcement.
Old September 24, 2000, 10:18 PM   #20
PVerdieck

Speaking of Law Enforcement... Yesterday when I was at the show, I was checking out slug prices. One ammo dealer had a box of Federal "LE" reduced recoil slugs. He said they were the standard. 35 for 50 (10 boxes).
Old September 25, 2000, 10:42 AM   #21
LIProgun

So far I'm really happy with the Federal Tactical "Law Enforcement" slugs. Good accuracy and greatly reduced recoil. Hopefully the HydraShok slug will perform as advertised, if needed.
Old September 30, 2000, 02:47 AM   #22
LiquidTension

Shot one of those KO slugs at the range earlier this week. It put a BIG freakin hole in the target. Most of you won't think that's a big deal (after all, it IS a slug), but I have a Mossy Cruiser with a pistol grip, and the target was at 36 yards. Needless to say, I was very happy with myself for hitting a target that far out when shooting from the hip! No, it wasn't luck...that's skill baby! That's my story, I'm stickin to it.... I should have a real stock on the gun on monday so I'll do some more testing next week...not that it's needed, seems everyone agrees that they are decent slugs for the money.
Old September 30, 2000, 07:03 AM   #23
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Glad you've come to your senses about that PG, LT. Just sell it to someone you don't like(G).

I think I'll go get another $20 worth. Even if my deer 870 doesn't like them, something will here at Casa McC. Hitting the range next Sat or Sun, will report the results.
Old September 30, 2000, 07:07 AM   #24
45King

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="arial,helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LIProgun:
So far I'm really happy with the Federal Tactical "Law Enforcement" slugs. Good accuracy and greatly reduced recoil. Hopefully the HydraShok slug will perform as advertised, if needed.[/quote]

I had the pleasure and privilege to be present at some testing of Titon's Quick Shok slugs a couple of years ago. The test medium was ballistic gellatin and beef quarters, as well as some beef shoulder bones. (If it hits bone, there's going to be just that many more fragments zipping 'round inside the target.)
Un-freaking-believable! You DO NOT want to be on the receiving end of one of those babies unless you have a severe and immediate death wish.

------------------
Shoot straight & make big holes, regards, Richard at The Shottist's Center
Old September 30, 2000, 11:51 AM   #25
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

That sounds like an interesting test, Richard. Were any other slugs fired for comparison?
There's no ineffective 12 ga slugs, to the best of my knowledge. Best choice is the cheapest one that groups well. Will report on these KO slugs next week. And, probably after shotgun season at the end of November also.

Maybe some of the Tactical folks can do a car shooting test at the junkyard or something. A test involving say, sabots, Brennekes and Forster style slugs might shed some light on good tactical ammo selections.