The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 24, 2012, 05:21 PM   #1
Hot_Lead

M91 Carcano won't fire.

A few weeks ago, I picked up an old Italian Carcano Long Rifle in 6.5x52mm made in 1900.

A few hours ago, I took it and a few other new milsurps to the range. They all shot great until I picked up the Carcano. I loaded the mannlicher clip and put in the rifle chambered the first round (Prvi Partizan 123 Grain Soft Point), pulled the trigger..... and nothing. I unloaded the round and discovered the primer was hit, so I figured it may have been the round, not the gun; However, it did the same thing to the next two rounds, so I was certain it was the bolt/firing-pin.

Anyone else have a similar problem? Is it something I can repair, or should I take it to a gunsmith?

Thanks.
Old June 24, 2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Goatwhiskers

Disassemble the bolt for cleaning if you can, if not flush the heck out of it and re-lube. Almost guaranteed that it's clotted up with old lube and grease, possibly dating back to when the rifle was put in service. Goat
Old June 24, 2012, 07:00 PM   #3
Webleymkv

Another thing you might try is replacing the striker spring. Many of these old milsurps have been handled by people who are less than knowledgeable about firearms and it may have hung on someones wall for decades with the striker cocked. Wolff sells replacement striker springs for Carcanos and several other milsurps.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?...s&cID=2&mID=85
Old June 24, 2012, 07:02 PM   #4
raftman

I have had the same issue with a Yugo Mauser I bought from a guy who insisted he detail-stripped the rifle and cleaned out it thoroughly. Guess what meant was everything except the bolt, upon taking apart the bolt, found it was completely full of cosmolene, once all cleaned out, it worked beautifully.
Old June 25, 2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Hot_Lead

I took the bolt apart and cleaned it out some.

It was a little bit dirty, but it wasn't full of cosmoline or anything like that. Most of it came from the firing pin and the spring.