The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 6, 2000, 01:56 PM   #1
hoosierboy

Ok I know I am going to catch hell from all of the reloaders out there. I was and maybe still considering buying a reloading set so someone set me straight.

I was just wondering since One can buy ammo very cheap from any of the various places like bulk ammo, natchez, or ammoman etc... Is it really cheaper to reload?

Ok next question, I understand that some people like the hotter loads and do special loads for competition. Right now, I practice about twice a month, I dont compete and I don't shoot any rare bullets. I don't hunt. I use mostly 9mm, .380, .45acp, .40s&w and occasionly .38 special. I understand .357 and .44 magnum ammo is expensive,but I dont have a gun chambered in those calibers. Do I really need a press for what I am using now?

If I was to buy equiptment for these calibers that I use what type of setup do I need and at what price am I looking at?

Ok this is just for curiousity, do people reload .22 ammo? With the price of 500 rounds for about 8 bucks why would people spend the time?

------------------
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

--Ayn Rand, in "The Nature of Government"
http://hometown.aol.com//jsax13/web.html

[This message has been edited by hoosierboy (edited August 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by hoosierboy (edited August 06, 2000).]
Old August 6, 2000, 02:09 PM   #2
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

You can't reload .22

Per round of .45 ACP, my cost reloading is:
bullet- .031
Primer- .014
brass- free (reloadable 12-20 times)

Powder will last you for a VERY long time when reloading pistol.

Total cost comes to roughly 2.25 per 50.
Price can even be lower if I buy bullets, powder and primers in larger bulk quanities.

Plus with reloading, you can tinker with different charges for your particular firearm. Therefore, you end up with more accurate loads then factory ammo.

For example, with bullseye shooting, I use either 3.6 grains of titegroup or 3.8 grains of bullseye with a 200 grain LSWC. Tell me where you can buy low recoil target loads?

You would save a fortune reloading for .45 and .40 Cost of equipment is initally high but pays for itself within a year. You'll end up being a much better shooter because with the money saved, you can load more and shoot more. So how much you save is almost neglectable because you WILL shoot more.

Personally, I use a Dillon 550B. With it, I load .45 ACP, .40 S&W, 9mm, .38 Super, .223, .308, and soon 10mm.

------------------
Son
1911 Addiction
"The tree of liberty will grow only when watered by the blood of tyrants."

[This message has been edited by ArmySon (edited August 06, 2000).]
Old August 6, 2000, 02:56 PM   #3
Monkeyleg

Hoosierboy, if you can afford to buy "cheap" factory ammo and you don't need to get every last bit of accuracy, I'd say don't bother reloading. But... a box of Federal Match .45 is about $20 or more per 50. It shoots great, but I can produce around 300 or more reloads for that price. And the reloads are more accurate. Since I load light, there's not as much wear on the gun either. If your time doesn't allow for reloading, you might be able to find a retired shooter who would sell you some of his reloads. Come retirement, or something resembling retirement, I've often thought of doing reloading as a source of extra cash. That assumes, of course, that in 15 years we can own guns .

Dick
Want to send a message to Bush? Sign the petition at http://www.petitiononline.com/monk/petition.html and forward the link to every gun owner you know.
Old August 6, 2000, 06:54 PM   #4
Nukem

I reload, but cheap ammo has it's place. I run that crappy Wolf in my 9mm carbine AR upper. Handloads are a waste for that and I don't have to chase the brass. I also use a decent Nato surplus .308 in the HK. I feed the AK the Russian crap too.
You could probably get by just fine shooting Wolf in IDPA, too.
Just the same, I reload for all the centerfire handguns, the .223 ARs on a 650 Dillon and my .300 mag on a Rockchucker.
Old August 6, 2000, 07:36 PM   #5
pax

I think the important question is not, "how much can I save," but "how much would I enjoy reloading?"

If you would not like doing the reloading, then it is worth it to pay the extra money to save yourself the hassle. Reloading does take time. On the other hand, if you would enjoy it, then it doesn't matter if you save money or not.

Old August 6, 2000, 07:45 PM   #6
JimWolford

One point that is overlooked my most people it this-

Do *not* reload to save money, it's false economy<G>

Reloading is cheaper, the tools never wear out so the cost is amortized over the long haul.

What actually happens is this- If you normally spend $100/month on ammo, you will slowly increase your shooting activities untill you are spending $100/month on componants ( bullets, primers, powder ) which means you will be shooting nearly twice as many rounds per month as before.

You decide if this is a good thing <VBG>

Jim

------------------
Lay up some blackpowder and flints
The rest we can build, if need be
Old August 6, 2000, 11:28 PM   #7
Good Guy

<why reload when the price of ammo is so cheap?>

When it comes to 7.62x39 you are right. I can feed my AK with Wolf ammo cheaper than I could reload it(1000 rds @ $80). And I shoot the .380 pistol so seldom that I never bothered to reload it considering all the excellent defensive ammo available today. Just didn't seem worth the effort. I do reload for 9 other calibers though. Many of my guns have never seen a "factory" cartridge.

------------------
Just one of the Good Guys
Old August 7, 2000, 12:15 AM   #8
jtduncan

Talk to some reloaders at your local gun shop. We really do shoot for half the price of factory ammo. So you can either shoot twice as much or use the saved money to buy more guns! No bull!

PS - I tailor my loads for IPSC, steel plates, rifle league, and get greater accuracy and less wear and tear on my gun than shooting factory ammo.

PS - Seems like a lot of the developing country ammo is kabooming so I'd rather pay attention to what I'm making than have some ill-trained underpaid Russian guy go to sleep at the charging bar and double load their "factory" ammo.

------------------
The Seattle SharpShooter - TFL/GT/UGW/PCT/KTOG
Old August 7, 2000, 12:20 AM   #9
jetrecbn1

Doesn't mean you save more, just shoot a lot more. I don't reload for 9mm, but I do for 45, 357, 44. I estimate it cost me around $2.50-$3.00 a box. For a bolt action I would definetely reload. I think centerfire rifle cartridges(match) could be duplicated by reloading your own pet loads for a lot lower.
Old August 7, 2000, 11:08 AM   #10
Mikul

I reload for 9mm which is one of the least cost effective rounds, however, even with this round, I can save the $600 in equipment within 18 months, and know that my rounds are more consistant than the cheap stuff I usually buy. If I begin reloading for other stuff, I'll make it up even sooner. If you shoot some rounds (like .44 Magnum), you'll save LOTS of money.

Good reloading equipment will outlast you even with HEAVY usage.
Old August 7, 2000, 11:33 AM   #11
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

I reload .45-70, .45ACP and .303 British. Not exactly the cheapest stuff going.

I get better consistency and accuracy with my loads, which I developed for my specific guns (a Springfield V10 and an Enfield No 4 Mk I). With factory .303, I can't get better than 1MOA out of the Enfield. With my own loads, I get .5. On the .45, my groups shrink from 2" @ 7 yards to 1.5".

And the .45-70... I save $.50 per shot, get one-hole groups at 50 yards, and don't beat the hell out of my shoulder doing it.
Old August 7, 2000, 12:01 PM   #12
Hutch

Given the parameters the original poster gave, he may never recover his costs. So what? The best reason for him to reload is this: It pisses off all the right people. Right, Senators Schumer and Feinstein?
Old August 7, 2000, 04:42 PM   #13
Rezdog

I began reloading as a means to escape the wife (when I had one) and came to enjoy the solitude of my reloading shop. After a divorce and many years of running wild (mid-life crisis) it now keeps me off the streets and out of the bars. All the money I save goes to components and guns! I've owned a lot of reloading and bullet casting equipment over the years; reloading DOES NOT really save money at my house.
Old August 7, 2000, 07:04 PM   #14
hoosierboy

Thanks for all the replies. I don't really shoot that much, about 2 or three times a month and only shoot for about 45 minutes. To you guys its not much, but to my friends I am ready for war. I have about 20 pistols and 3 rifles and a 20 guage and 12 gauge so pistols are what I use the most. I wouldnt mind putting out the money it would probably be the cost of a pistol, so I might want to check out prices and then see if the outlay is worth my money.

------------------
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."

--Ayn Rand, in "The Nature of Government"

http://hometown.aol.com//jsax13/web.html
Old August 7, 2000, 07:18 PM   #15
Bottom Gun

I reload because I can make exactly what I want to shoot. Have you ever had to compromise when you bought factory ammo because they didn't have exactly what you wanted?
Factory ammo loaded with premium bullets such as Nosler hasn't been available until recently and the selection is still limited. I wanted to try some of those high performance Federals, but couldn't find them today.

You'll enjoy accuracy you might not otherwise achieve.
Certain rifles shoot best with specific loads. You may or may not find the ideal load for your rifle on the shelf.
I don't always like to shoot ammo out of my .44 that throws a fireball which singes my toenails when I jerk the trigger, try finding a good midrange or moderate load on the shelf.

Of course I enjoy the economy of it too. I like it when my ears ring more than the cash register does.

Give it a try. It will be a valuable education and a handy skill. You'll find yourself learning more and more about cartridges and what makes them tick. You'll be glad you did. If not, you can always sell your equipment after you've loaded enough to offset your loss.

And yes, you WILL shoot more.
Old August 7, 2000, 10:33 PM   #16
G35

I got into handloading (not reloading) to have powerful defense ammo. I make .40 cal (Short & Weak ???) ammo that makes 750 ft lbs energy. That is a 135-gr Sierra HP going 1600 fps. No commercial bullet maker would dare to make these Insane Loads.
Old August 7, 2000, 10:49 PM   #17
WESHOOT2

G35,

Wrongo!

Hahahahahahhahahhahahahaha!

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Old August 8, 2000, 07:19 PM   #18
johnwill

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by G35:
No commercial bullet maker would dare to make these Insane Loads.[/quote]

I dare say that most of the folks that hang around here would also not dare to make those insane loads!

Old August 9, 2000, 10:29 PM   #19
BIGR

I reload because I like to shoot alot and save lots of money.I also hunt so it is a feeling of acomplishment when I have sucessful hunts using my own reloads.It is also a great time to get away from everything and have some peace. Being I have a good supply of reloading supplies, if the anti gun people ever put a big tax on ammo I will be set for years to come.Imagine trying to defend your family and property and you didn't have any factory ammo beacuse the anti's banned ammo.If they can't get your guns they might try to cut off the blood supply(ammo) to them.
Old August 11, 2000, 08:36 PM   #20
bcsd372

It's simple for me.....I reload because I enjoy it. I've found it to be a relaxing hobby plus I can reload on rainy days when it's not fit to go to the range or late at night if there's nothing on TV worth watching.
Old August 12, 2000, 09:56 AM   #21
plinkr

G35,do you shoot the loads yourself or had off the gun to someone else?? I'd sure hat to be shooting with you.
WAAAAAyyyyy too hot. IMHO
Plinkr
Old August 12, 2000, 01:43 PM   #22
paratrooper

I have not seen ( or maybe I missed it ) anyone say that they reload .223 . I would think that at least varmint hunters that are forced to shoot 250 yards or more would want the consistancy that reloading affords . If you compensate for wind and distance the powder charge should surely count for something . If I'm all wet I deserve to be punished . Please feel free to smack the guy next to me . I promise to feel guilty . Thanks .

------------------
TOM
SASS AMERICAN LEGION NRA GOA
Old August 13, 2000, 01:30 AM   #23
G35

plinkr,

Yeap, I fire those "Short & Weak" loads personally. BUT, the Range Officers are always hanging-around at the other end of the range for some reason when I am testing my Insane Loads.... go figure.
Old August 13, 2000, 08:25 AM   #24
Patrick Graham

I reload because it's one of my hobbies.
Old August 13, 2000, 04:55 PM   #25
Paul B.

Hoosierboy. Let's look at the cost of components. Primarily the cartridge case. Bullets. powder and primers don't change much, but the brass casing is the most expensive piece of the puzzle. Looking in the current Huntington's catalog, .45 ACP brass will cost you 16.5 cents a round, it you buy 100 rounds. (this is just new brass, not loaded ammo) By the 1,000, it will cost you 13.2 cents a round. That is what just the brass will cost you for the first shot. When you reload it the second time around, the cost is exactly half of the original price. The third time around, it will be halved again, and so on down the line. By the 10th round, you might as well say the brass is FREE! There is where the biggest savings come in. I have gotten as many as 20 loadings from full power .44 Mag. brass, and I'm still using it. I have found a source of free wheel weights, and cast my own bullets, so for all practical purposes, the bullets are nearly free. (Time to clean the W/W and electricity for the melting pot.) I've had my reloading stuff, some of it purchased 45 years ago, so the costs have been amortized a long time ago.
Another point. If you ever want to play with a wildcat cartridge, you will have to handload your ammo for it. It won't be found on your dealers shelves, that is for sure.
As far as the cheap Russian and Chicom ammo? I won't buy the stuff. I had too damn much of it shot at me in "Nam." Anyway, why support your country's enemies?
Paul B.