The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 26, 2014, 02:37 PM   #1
keithdog

Holster belts

I often read in here those who use a holster belt rather than a regular belt. I'd like to know what the advantage of a true holster belt is over say a genuine leather 1-1/2 inch regular pants belt?
Old April 26, 2014, 05:58 PM   #2
nemesiss45

Rigidity, at least the ones I have used. The theorhetical advantage would be that the belt will not flex as much during drawing, allowing for cleaner faster draws.
Are you interested for range use or concealed carry?

If concealed carry, I would stick with leather cor comfort. I do not like wearing a rigid belt all day
Old April 26, 2014, 06:04 PM   #3
Doc Intrepid

As nemisiss45 said, a true holster belt is going to be much more rigid to support the weight of a loaded firearm, help conceal it if you're wearing an Inside-the-Waistband (IWB) holster, prevent items (pistol, spare magazines, multitool, flashlight if you have one, etc.) from shifting on the belt and generally ensuring that your draw and reload movements are consistent.

Aker makes some nice ones - they used to have a spring steel insert between the 2 layers of leather, and now its polymer (the spring steel was working its way through the belt over time - at least on mine).

There are other good ones out there as well. IMO, though, a good pistol belt and holster is as important for CCW EDC as bullets for the firearm. It's part of a system.

YMMV.
Old April 26, 2014, 06:37 PM   #4
keithdog

The belt would be for while I wear an OWB holster for my Shield around the house, and an IWB away from the house. The belt I have right now is a rather sturdy 1-3/8 inch leather belt. For a small Shield, I would think that would be sufficient. Am I wrong?
Old April 26, 2014, 10:40 PM   #5
cheezhed

If your belt set up pleases you and does what you want it to do then by all means keep using it. I use a dedicated gun belt and it seems to last longer than the leather belts that I used to use.
Old April 27, 2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Kreyzhorse

A gun belt is built to carry the weight of a gun as well as the holster. These belts are rigid and in my opinion are the most important part of your carry rig. They are also much thicker than regular belts and that is where the rigidity comes in.

While the Shield isn't a giant gun, I still think your overall carry experience would be better served with a dedicated gun belt. Holster sag, with a regular belt, can be a problem. With a good gun belt, that simply won't happen.

They are more expensive but if you are going to carry often, they are worth the money. A well made one will out last several cheaper ones so you do get what you pay for.

While it maybe more difficult to convince you that you need a gun belt over a thread like this, I can tell you that if you use one, you will understand why they are a must have.

The Beltman makes the best I've seen. I bought a $50 belt that wore out in a year. I bought a $100 belt from the Beltman 5 years ago and it is as stiff as the the first day I got it.

http://www.thebeltman.net/
Old April 27, 2014, 06:41 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

The regular leather belt is just not rigid enough, the weight of the pistol and holster will cause a sag in the belt and also roll the edge over a bit. This causes a slight drag when drawing the pistol, not what you want to have when you have to draw the piece.

I must have bought a dozen good leather belts before I figured it out that one good rigid belt was all I needed.
Old April 27, 2014, 07:10 PM   #8
Airman Basic

Ordered this today:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TOJKWU/..._26725410_item
to replace my tired old Bianchi. Almost everyday use for 20 years. Good stuff.
Old April 28, 2014, 06:28 AM   #9
keithdog

Looks like a nice belt Airman!
Old April 28, 2014, 07:56 AM   #10
Nathan

The main improvement is horizontal stiffness. That causes the butt angle to not change. This is especially true when not cinched down. That makes your back hurt a lot less from gun weight.
Old April 28, 2014, 04:31 PM   #11
oldcspsarge

Milt Sparks makes some of the best IWB holsters in the business and makes GREAT pistol belts....worth the wait !

http://www.miltsparks.com/
Old May 1, 2014, 08:58 AM   #12
boondocker385

I have both double thickness belts and ones with stiffeners. I carry everyday (plain clothes) for work and always use the stiffner belts. My EDC for work on my belt is a full size auto, a primary weapon (mp5 mostly) ammo for both, flashlight, and a sap or baton and cuffs. The double thickness just doesn't cut it for that load out
Old May 2, 2014, 09:45 AM   #13
Marty8613

WalMart or Kohl's

I buy the heavy duty 'work' belt lines carried by WalMart and Kohl's. They do just fine for my IWB 6:00 carry preference.

I carry:
Bersa Thunder 380 - in my dress up days
Bersa Mini Firestorm 40 - Most of the time - small but heavy
EAA Witness 4.5" .45 Polymer - long drives or walks
Old May 2, 2014, 10:51 AM   #14
g.willikers

I chose a thick, but slightly flexible belt.
It holds things well, without biting me when I move or bend.
No stiffeners in it.
It's 5/16" thick and 1 1/2" wide.
I got it from a harness maker at a re-enactment.
Figured if it was good enough material to hold things on a horse, it oughta' do.
And it does.
It holds my full sized pistol and four or five pouched mags very well.
Old May 2, 2014, 11:08 AM   #15
loic

I use 2 different belt, one is from highnoon holster, its very thick and sturdy, works good with kydex holster and you can load it up without problems, doesnt work good with leather holster (owb) because the belt is not very flexible so its actually the holster that flex and its very difficult to draw or put back your weapon.
The 2nd one I use its a leather belt from 5.11 very nice belt, flexible just what is needed, no problems with leather or kydex holster. Cannot be loaded with a bunch of stuff and I had to replace the first one after a little over a year of almost daily use.
Old May 2, 2014, 05:33 PM   #16
keithdog

But is a holster belt really needed when carrying IWB? It seems to me the pressure exerted between the belt and the body is going to keep the holster from moving around or dragging the pants down where the gun lies. Especially a mid size to compact gun.
Old May 2, 2014, 06:48 PM   #17
Marty8613

Iwb

I am a budget guy and posted the work belt suggestions above. I use simple and cheap Blackhawk holsters. They are comfortable. Two of my guns are pretty heavy though. Noting the grooves on the Blackhawk holsters, they actually work best going on the waist band and not the belt at all. The lower part of the clip is meant to ride just below but inside the belt to align the holster. A heavier belt is useful for lighter pants like khakis. With jeans, I can wear normal belts. This way, the clip is less obvious and I am able to wear slightly shorter shirts. I haven't yet found a comfortable solution outside of 6:00. Seems to me deeper concealment is required for carrying up front. Revolvers seem better suited due to their shape for that method.
Old May 23, 2014, 05:23 PM   #18
Top Gun Supply

You should look at you gun, holster and belt as a "system". Don't skimp on any part of that system. You can buy a very good leather gun belt for less than $100. It will last for many, many years of daily carry...if you don't eat too much.
Meprolight, Trijicon, LPA, Ameriglo, EOTech Sights
Old May 23, 2014, 10:03 PM   #19
keithdog

If you don't eat too much? I'm screwed. haha
Old May 24, 2014, 12:22 PM   #20
JimDandy

The word that comes to mind for me when thinking of a "gun belt" is either "Cowboy" or "torsion" depending on what kind of gun belt you're talking about. Most of us immediately think of a big tooled leather cartridge belt with a drop leg leather holster for a Single Action revolver that wouldn't look out of place in a John Wayne movie. Sure that's a gun a belt all right, but it's not what concealed carry folks talk about.

For them the key word is torsion. How much the belt twists. Most gun belts in that sense are made of either horse hide, have a polymer/plastic stiffener between layers, or both. Now a good gun belt doesn't twist when you're wearing it. That's not something to worry about. But the mechanics that keep it from twisting while you're NOT wearing it are often what makes it a good gun belt.
Old June 6, 2014, 08:59 PM   #21
silverstang23

The stiffness is the main difference. I used to carry with a genuine leather belt. Then I got a wilderness tactical belt. What a difference a true "holster" belt makes. I find it much more comfortable as well as the belt allows me to carry bigger guns that caused my other belt to roll. It hold all weapons closer to my body. You might not realize the difference until you experience it.