The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 12, 2007, 04:17 PM   #1
madmag

Reducing Recoil & Cheek Slap

My Winchester 1300 20ga. synthetic stock was slapping my cheek when it recoiled. The recoil was not bad, just cheek slap. I first tried a Limb Saver Pad. This helped but did not completely solve the problem. So, I packed the hollow stock with Styrofoam pop-corn, then about mid way I added a package of lead fishing weights. I then used more pop-corn packing and just at the end inserted another lead package of lead weights. Of course the added weight helps to tame recoil, but I feel the floating action of the lead weights also counter acts the recoil. Anyway, now no problem. Just stays on my shoulder. I know you can purchase recoil reducers, but I wanted a low cost simple fix...and this seems to work.

Last edited by madmag; February 13, 2007 at 12:27 AM.
Old February 13, 2007, 12:10 AM   #2
banditt007

good stuff, when i put my recoil pad on mine i noticed how big the void is in that stock! can def fit a decent amount of stuff in it.

BTW when you carry the gun (walking through the woods kind of thing) do you notice you wind up hitting the slide release? this happened to me numerous times but i cannot find a more at the ready/comfortable way to carry it.
Old February 13, 2007, 12:24 AM   #3
madmag

Banditt007, Honest answer is I don't hunt much anymore. Use to a lot. Now I just use for SD and fun at the range. So, I cannot say about the slide release, but I see what you mean. With your hand around the bottom of the guard it would be easy to hit.