The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2002, 03:22 PM   #1
NoBite

Winchester Model 12 - Value of?

I have an old Winchester Model 12 given to me in the 1970's by my Grandfather. He used it extensively as a young man. I am not sure of the age of this shotgun, but on the right side of the barrel where it lists the patent dates, the last date listed is July 22, 1913. This is a 12-gauge, nickel steel. Serial number is 271xxx.

The shotgun has seen a lot of action, but is in very serviceable shape. Can anyone tell me what sort of worth it may have (beyond sentimental!).

Thanks,
Old November 10, 2002, 03:47 PM   #2
LF&Co. MG

Around here, Model 12s usually go for between $400 to $600 in good shape. This is just for standard guns. This is not the Blue of Gun Values, just what I see around.
Old November 10, 2002, 04:22 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

$300 up here as a SEG. But, since it's a family heirloom, you should keep it.

The 12 is one of the great ones. Little goes wrong with them, and they point nicely. Shoot it in memory of your grandfather.

Some of the oldest ones were chambered for 2 1/2" shells. Since all old guns should be checked out by a decent smithe before firing, he can check this then.
Old November 10, 2002, 05:06 PM   #4
NoBite

Dave, you have given me good advice. I really don't want to sell the shotgun and taking it to a gunsmith before getting to know it better is a good idea!

My Grandfather really liked to hunt. I bet the gun knows lots of stories!
Old November 10, 2002, 05:22 PM   #5
HSMITH

Value of Model 12's is a lot like old cars. Unless you really know them it is really hard to tell. One you see might look like hell and bring $1000 or more, and a cherry will bring $500. They were made for a LONG time and there are LOTS of variations. There are several books out if you are curious as to just exactly what you have, or you could look for an old guy shooting one at the club. Very few model 12s are seen at the range anymore being shot by someone that is not into them. Great shotgun BTW, I would love to have one.
Old November 10, 2002, 10:36 PM   #6
Steven Mace

NoBite, just so you know, your Winchester Model 12 was made in 1922.

Steve Mace
Old November 11, 2002, 04:53 AM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Nobite, family guns are part of our heritage. Think of your Granddad when you use it. And you should use it, they were made to be shot.

I was shooting trap last year when a young man showed up with his GF's Model 97. It was a simple field grade, and he used it just a couple times a year hunting and target shooting.

My GF left me no guns, but there's a couple split bamboo fly rods that were his in the house. I take them out once a year or so for a little nostalgia.
Old November 11, 2002, 06:47 AM   #8
NoBite

Wow, 1922! Then, this gun is in very good shape for its age. That does it. I'm taking it to a gunsmith to be thoroughly checked out and then I'm going to find someone to give me a few tips so I can use it.

Thanks, fellows, for rekindling my interest in the old Model 12. It was obviously made right and I do believe I should learn more about it.

Regards,
Old November 11, 2002, 08:42 AM   #9
LF&Co. MG

I echo the sentiments of this advice. I would hang onto it. A model 12 is perhaps the finest mass produced, American pump gun ever made. The machining and materials it would take to make the gun today make it cost ineffective to reproduce. Definately have it checked by a competant smith. I had one a few years back that had a nasty habit of going off when you shucked a round into it. Your finger needed not to be on the trigger. I thanked God for me always maintaining proper muzzle control
Old November 11, 2002, 11:27 AM   #10
rick_reno

Winchester Model 12

All 12 ga. model 12's were chambered in 2 3/4 inch length. The first M12's were 20 ga. only and were chambered in 2 1/2 inch length, 12 and 16 ga. guns were offered in 1914, with the early 16 ga. guns having 2 and 9/16th inch chamber. In 1925 the 20 ga. guns were switched to 2 and 2 3/4 inch, in 1927 the 16 ga. guns were moved to 2 and 3/4 inch. In 1935 Winchester offered the 12 ga. M12 in 3 inch "Heavy Duck" model.
These are great shotguns, I've collected them for over 40 years and still enjoy them.