The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old January 2, 2009, 08:56 AM   #1
chadflys

Ruger mkIII bull 5.5 or sig trailside??? or other suggustions

Looking for best and most accurate target pistol I can get for the money. I have read, and read and read post, but still not sure whats going to be the best. I have read alot about S&W 41, but way out of price range. THe sig trailside appear to be very similar in design. But Ruger is by no doubt maybe the most highly praised, but many many own them too...Can enyone give me some good specifics to look for and be concerned about when I'm shopping. I'm no expert yet, but going to be and want something to grow into. Right now from 25 ft standing, I shoot about a 2.5 in group with about 50rnds. at 15ft my group is 1in with a hi-standard sport-king that a friend let me borrow.

Thanks,
Chad
Old January 2, 2009, 02:40 PM   #2
melchloboo2

I think the rugers are more popular nowadays for bullseye. What that means is a larger base of people that can help you tune it.

Also the ruger eats any .22 ammo you feed it. So you can practice with the cheap walmart stuff without problems. The VQ accurizing kit is drop-in.

Be aware the grips on the 22/45 can't be changed without grinding them down and mounting 1911 studs. So consider a standard ruger, and just shooting as is or getting a 1911 style grip (they are out there) for it. The VQ grips are awesome for many people.

One handed my 5.5 bbl mkIII I can hold the 9.5 ring at 50 yards. I'm sure in a rest it will do well.

Plus, the MKIII's nowadays are already tapped for scope mounts if you decide you want to shoot with a red-dot.
Old January 2, 2009, 03:42 PM   #3
mstuhr

Buckmark maybe?

Welcome,
The Buckmark would be another contender.
I'd try to look at everything I could afford and find what suits me best.
Good luck in your search
Mike
Old January 2, 2009, 03:54 PM   #4
melchloboo2

Also, you can grab a used M41 off of gunbroker for about $500 if you're patient and don't mind that it might not look pretty.

However, you may find the cheapest ammo it will eat is cci standard, so factor that in to TCO.

Lastly, if this is for Bullseye, have you considered just putting a Marvel conversion kit onto a 1911 frame? If you already have your .45, or are sure you will get one, then this is very economical. Arguably this is best because you always use the same grip and trigger pull.
Old January 5, 2009, 10:49 PM   #5
johnatl

22/45 "grips"???

Melchloboo2.. I just got a new Mklll 22/45. really didnt know( well did not realize or maybe excited to get it and didnt think?) the grips were not replaceable BUT i can deal with that ... BUT you mentioned grinding them down and using 1911 studs? Looking inside the magazine cavity i dont see much place to SET those mount studs? Id like to know how this done uhmm just in case? any info out there on doing that? Just in case?
and another question... will the reg Mark lll metal frame interchange?? IF.. if one were to find one someday???
I found this forum searching for guidance on swapping the grips. so i am still brand new... You guys have a WORLD of information!!! i have a few other 22 pistols i love to shoot including a 1969 std? and a 1954 colt woodsman match target( jams alot ) and a few higher cap. "toys"
I hope i can fit in and one day contribute back a little. Thanks for listening.
Old January 5, 2009, 11:03 PM   #6
Casimer

The Trailside has been discontinued. But there is a version of the Trailside sold in Europe named the Xesse that's being imported by Larry's Guns in Maine. Larry's also provides parts and services for the Trailside.

They're very accurate pistols, but they're not as robust as a Ruger or 41. I have one but I've never taken a shine to it. It's a very light pistol and the trigger is squishy ( i.e. indefinite, too much play, feels like you're compressing a spring - because you actually are ). People who compete with these in BE typically have an aftermarket trigger assembly installed.

I'd recommend shooting one before committing to buy one.

If you want a nice match pistol in this price range, look for an IZH 35(M).
Old January 6, 2009, 01:26 AM   #7
.351winchester

I like the Buckmark, superb triggers even on the basic, budget price plinker variants
Old September 11, 2009, 02:50 AM   #8
baldbollocks

IZH-35

Dont get a Baikal IZH-35.

Always breaking the extractor and NO-One has parts to fix it.

I had a browning buck mark and although acurate found it a little too light. Great for a girl or very new shooter but no good for an expierenced shooter in copetition.

I too would love to knw a cheap alternative to a Walther GSP ot Hammerlie.
Old September 13, 2009, 07:31 PM   #9
DT Guy

I've sworn off Rugers, at least the MKIII's, since I had a case burst and blow the 'loaded chamber indicator' into my thumb.

Not too keen on it, especially since it's a 'safety feature' that is useless, and removes a piece of chamber wall that could actually prove useful...

Just MHO, of course-

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos
Old September 13, 2009, 08:50 PM   #10
Nightowl

I have a Ruger MKI and a MKIII. They are both very solid, accurate, and reliable firearms and reasonably priced.
Always - Safety First!
Old September 13, 2009, 09:14 PM   #11
TechTeach

Ruger MKII & MKIII 22/45 grips

at youtube there is a video showing how to install aftermarket grips for the Ruger MKII & MKIII 22/45 no grinding required http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRkiSlXdrKM