The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 20, 2011, 07:45 AM   #51
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Might want to review this thread from a fellow member as well:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441283

It's merely one of many. (I miss when Kimber was really Kimber...)

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old September 29, 2011, 07:32 PM   #52
Fargazer

Well, I got the call from Kimber today; they replaced the slide, barrel, and recoil assembly, test fired it with a total of 5 magazines without failure, and are shipping it back tomorrow. Basically, it sounds like they replaced almost every thing they could without actually giving me a new gun.

Once it returns, I'll try running a couple hundred rounds through it (since the test firings constitute the break-in), and let you all know how it goes. If it fails, it goes back. If it works, then I have to decide whether to keep it or sell it. Given I now have a Walther PPS that I'm highly pleased with, I'm slightly leaning toward sell.

I'll keep you all posted how it works out...
Old September 29, 2011, 07:38 PM   #53
IMTHDUKE

Everyone has to do what is right for them. Kimber sent me a new Solo as a replacement, but I am selling. I just can't trust it after all my problems and three trips back to CS.
Ed Brown Alpha Carry| Sig P238, P938, P232, 1911 C3 | Colt Defender, Mustang Pocketlite, 1911 | Rohrbaugh R9 | Browning, Buckmark 22LR(suppressed) | Kahr PM9 Black Rose | S&W|M&P C.O.R.E RMR Trijicon | Dan Wesson ECO
Old September 29, 2011, 07:41 PM   #54
oneounceload

Kimber's quality has been in the toilet for quite some time now - they are hurting and cutting corners on top of the corners they have been cutting. While they look good on the outside, they have been having serious issues on the inside
Old September 29, 2011, 07:54 PM   #55
checkmyswag

Really love the look and idea of this gun. I appreciate those that are willing to tinker w their guns to get them to work right...or otherwise send them in for repair. Reliability is priority one for me.
Old October 4, 2011, 07:27 PM   #56
Fargazer

I just finished test firing the Solo. I put 150 rounds of American Eagle 147 grain 9mm and Remington Golden Saber 147 through it without a hitch; add to that the 30 rounds test fired at the factory, and it appears to be now working as intended.

To get to this point, Kimber replaced the slide, recoil assembly, and barrel.

After some thought, I think I'm going to sell the gun; now that I know it works, I can do so with a clear conscience. The package will be the Solo, 4 magazines, and a custom IWB holster by HBE. I have a friend who would like to purchase it; for him I figure $650 will be a generous price for the whole set, particularly since the gun has just proven itself.

I currently have a Walther PPS filling the role I originally envisioned for the Solo, so I'm not sure what I'll put the money toward, other than it will go toward firearms in some fashion (house rule - cash from guns goes toward guns). Possibilities include
  • a SR1911,
  • refinishing my father's 1911,
  • tuning up my 20 gauge SD shotgun with a couple Police parts and a Robar coating.
  • some deal I just stumble over

Tags
9mm , kimber , review , solo