The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 29, 2001, 08:57 PM   #1
Kernel

Location: Madison, WI.... "78 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
870 Express in .410 and 28 gauge

Stopped by a favorite gunshop yesterday. They had new Remington Express 870s in .410 and 28 gauge, 3 or 4 each, with a price of 299.00 on them IIRC (maybe it was 399.00, I dunno, was just looking... not looking to buy). I knew they made a .410 from time to time (last one I saw at a gunshow the guy wanted $499 NIB), but I'd never seen or even heard of a 870 in 28 gauge.

The 28ga was the neatest little pump I've ever seen. It was too cool. Very trim and light, but proportional and "built to scale" - like a full sized 870, but miniaturized. Unlike the .410 which looked kinda weird and unnatural - it's spindly pencil like barrel out of proportion with the rest of the gun. Both had vent ribs and full sized stocks. They were in with the regular adult shot guns - not the youth guns.

I already have a 20ga 870, it's a great gun, and though it's built on a smaller receiver it looks about like the 12ga. To tell the difference you gotta hold them up side by side. The .28ga must be built on the .410 receiver, it's Lilliputian!

Anyone got a 28ga 870?

— Anonymous A-10 Pilot, USAF
Old December 29, 2001, 11:56 PM   #2
K80Geoff

AH 28 ga!!!

A 28 GA Wingmaster is on my "If I find one grab it immediatley" list. 28 GA is absolutely delightful to shoot and is surprisingly effective. Experts tell us that the gauge throws perfect patterns and is probably the best gauge to use to break in youngsters.

I have shot the 1100 28 ga and it shot like a 22 rifle, no recoil. The wingmaster will be just as delightful I am sure.

If you buy it, plan on buying a reloader. 28 ga and 410 are not cheap and the cost of shells is keeping the 28 out of the hands of many shooters.

Ask any Skeet shooter about 28 ga
Old December 30, 2001, 07:43 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

In trained hands, the 28 gauge will astound folks. A 28 ga repeater is a trim little pkg and handles like a dream, tho one can overpower a shotgun that light if unused to it.

Ammo can be hard to find and of limited selection when it is located. Save your empties, and see if any of your skeet shooting buds will load them back up for you. S'funny, the 28 takes less powder, shot etc, than a 12 but the ammo is oft much more costly.

Less is more, I guess.
Old December 30, 2001, 12:51 PM   #4
K80Geoff

Both 28 and 410 are expensive. Most of the 410 rounds found in the local gunstore are 3" hunting rounds. They pattern very poorly.

If it was not for the fact that american skeet is shot in four gauges the 28 would probably have gone the way of the 24 and 32 gauges.

A check of the internet ammo distributors shows that 410 and 28 are priced very close. So if the choice is between 28 or 410 the 28 is the better choice. Unless you shoot skeet where you need both.

Most of the diehard skeet shooters I know use the 28 for practice.

I cannot understand why people foist 410 shotguns on youngsters when the 28 is so much better.

OK so I like the 28 and the more people who shoot them the more chance that the manufacturers will start producing more guns and cheaper ammo.
Old December 30, 2001, 07:29 PM   #5
mikey357

The 28 Gauge is VERY EFFICIENT at typical"Upland" or Skeet ranges...GREAT patterns, little recoil...probably my favorite "gauge". FWIW, I believe that there are but TWO sizes of receiver made for the 870...the 12 gauge and the 20 gauge...I think that they build the 20's, 28's and .410's on the same smaller receiver, IIRC....mikey357