The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 24, 2011, 07:50 PM   #51
rdmallory

Walther P1 1980 or newer

Think outside the Box...

Doug
Old September 24, 2011, 11:13 PM   #52
viper7342

+1 on the Smith M&P and the Sig SP2022 I have both, however, the M&P is chambered in 40 caliber... I shoot both very well and I like the SP2022 better than my XD9 Service model... I also like my Browning HP Practical but that's an all steel pistol as someone pointed out.
Old September 24, 2011, 11:50 PM   #53
SocialAnarchist

I will throw a different spin on this for the OP.

I only own one 9mm and it is a used P89 I bought for around $300. It came with 5-15 round magazines, a case and a magazine loader. This pistol has been completely trouble free, not a single FTF or FTE.

A used pistol from a reliable dealer can be a great way to start.
Old September 26, 2011, 10:11 AM   #54
bitttorrrent

the Walther P-38 is a good piece of history, I have one but serial numbers do not match, so not worth much.
It is fun to shoot, but is a little hard (felt recoil) than I like.

My Beretta Px-4 is fantastic. Great recoil, smooth, feeds all different kinds of ammo and easy to take down and clean. Great gun.

I was thinking of my next as a EAA witness match or CZ. Same but EAA is a copy of the CZ design. The match has a few more options that I am having trouble locating on a CZ - spo1.

Additionally, I have found a sub 300.00 Ruger p95 that looks pretty good. Did have a question for

Quote:
What about checking out the Ruger P95? It is a service sized pistol, but I've heard great things about it and it is less than $400 brand new. I like my P97 [P95 in .45 cal?] and found it more accurate [in MY hands] than a Sig P220. That was MY experience-no one else's I don't claim they are more accurate than a Sig. I only claim that I shot it more accurately than my Sig P220 or Sig P225
Are thes p95's polymer frame or metal? In the Ruger catalog it states polyer or aluminum????? If you have one than you should know. Very poor catalog description for a gun that has been made for the last 25 years.
Old September 26, 2011, 10:30 AM   #55
jmstr

The EEA Witness is nice. I have a Baby Eagle in 9mm that is great. The Ruger P95 IS a polymer frame, just like the P97. The P89/90/91/93 h& 94 have aluminum frames. They only make the P90 (45), P95 (9mm), and P345 (45) now. The last two are polymer. I can buy the P95 new at my LGS today for $360 or less, depending on stainless or blued slide. Check out Rugerforums dot com for specific comments, but they are fanboys, like any other brand specific forums.

Two points of interest: the trigger is a long pull (think revolver in DA), with a longer reset than some of the others I have in SA mode, and the recoil camblock system makes for a light recoil but an odd recoil 'pulse'. My P97 has a DA trigger pull aroun 11lbs, anx a SA trigger pull aroun 4.5lbs, with 2-3000 rounds through it with stock hammer spring. A 19lb wolf hammer spring gives me a SA pull around 3 lbs 12 ozs.
Again, I am more accurate with it than I was with my Sigs. I sold my sig P220 and my H&K USP compact .45 because I was more accurate with my Ruger, my M&P or my 1911s. And the Ruger gave ME the best groups, with the two I sold giving me the worst. Again, that was ME.

For $300 I would get the Ruger if I wanted a good, reliable, basic 9mm, and then buy a lot of ammo. BUT I already have a few 9mms.

Last edited by jmstr; September 26, 2011 at 10:46 AM.
Old September 26, 2011, 10:48 AM   #56
overkill0084

Quote:
I was thinking of my next as a EAA witness match or CZ. Same but EAA is a copy of the CZ design. The match has a few more options that I am having trouble locating on a CZ - spo1.
I have a Witness Match in .45. A heck of a lot of gun for the money. I'm considering another one in YTBD caliber.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old September 26, 2011, 12:20 PM   #57
ripnbst

Don't buy the Taurus. I have seen one with issues and heard of many more. Just hearing about it is enough to keep me away and as a new shooter I would rather you have a positive experience than a bad one. Browning 9mm is nice yes, but any offering from Springfield, Glock, S&W, Kahr, beretta would do you well.

For target shooting only I think a Berretta 92FS would be a great choice as they tend to be pretty accurate guns. Reliability is an issue for some but used on a range only and being able to clean often you should be fine. Glocks and Springfields are cool too but everyone's got them, I like to be a little different.
Old September 26, 2011, 02:56 PM   #58
jmstr

One question I have: when you say 'target', what do you mean?

Are you wanting a 'range' gun that will be used exclusively at the range for fun/accuracy? Or are you attempting to obtain the most precisely accurate handgun you can get, at any cost?

Other than my EDC and House Defense handguns, all the rest are what I consider 'range' guns: fun, reliable and more accurate than I am. However, only one is what I would think of as a 'target' gun, as it will be the most precise I can make/afford: a Caspian 1911 custom pistol.

If you are using 'target' to differentiate between range and home defense or carry, then all the above are good suggestions. If you want the absolute bee's knees in target-grade accuracy, you will probably move yourself above the $750 line to the the $1000.

Again, ANY handgun is more accurate than I am capable of without shooting 3-4000 rounds a month. And I am lucky to get that per year in any of my handguns.
Old September 26, 2011, 03:37 PM   #59
loose_holster_dan

check out the link in my signature. you know you want to.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 26, 2011, 03:38 PM   #60
loose_holster_dan

the taurus is junk. i owned 2 before i knew what i was missing. i own an xdm. very nice.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old September 26, 2011, 07:01 PM   #61
MikeNice81

Quote:
was thinking of my next as a EAA witness match or CZ. Same but EAA is a copy of the CZ design. The match has a few more options that I am having trouble locating on a CZ - spo1.
That is because the CZ SP-01 is the fullsize variation of the P-01. It is not meant for competition or to replicate a "custom shop" gun. It is meant to be a tough as nails fighting gun for police and military use.

It is a da/sa to allow for safe carry and quick follow up shots. It employs a decocker to eliminate the extra step of reaching for a safety. The SP-01 also has a full dust cover that helps add strength and extend frame life. The SP-01 is designed to handle a bare minimum of 15,000 rounds of +p ammo in some of the most horrifying conditions imaginable while being easy to operate with a minimum of thought.

The Witness Elite Match and CZ SP-01 are apples and oranges.
Old September 27, 2011, 12:07 AM   #62
G&G

What's comfortable in your hand

My 9mm is a CZ 75 BD. Very comfortable to hold. Very accurate.
Very affordable.

The CZ P01 would be another good choice.
From their web site:
After 3 years of the most aggressive small arms testing ever by any manufacturer for any pistol, the CZ P-01 won the honor of replacing the CZ 75's previously used by the Czech National Police.

Reliability: The U.S. Army "Mean Rounds Between Failure" (MRBF) requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols. During testing of the CZ P-01, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired. This is a .05% failure rate or an MRBF of 2142!
Old September 27, 2011, 12:20 AM   #63
AustinTX

Quote:
For target shooting only I think a Berretta 92FS would be a great choice as they tend to be pretty accurate guns. Reliability is an issue for some but used on a range only and being able to clean often you should be fine.
I agree that the 92FS merits a strong look, but I'm puzzled by your statement about its reliability. It's unsurpassed in that area.

Quote:
Reliability: The U.S. Army "Mean Rounds Between Failure" (MRBF) requirement is 495 rounds for 9mm pistols. During testing of the CZ P-01, the average number of stoppages was only 7 per 15,000 rounds fired. This is a .05% failure rate or an MRBF of 2142!
Or he could go with the 92FS, which the latest DOD testing showed to have a MRBF of 21,500 -- or a hair more than 10 times better than the CZ.
Old September 28, 2011, 05:24 AM   #64
svt40

For range or combat the G17,CZ75,Sig226,Hi=power. But for CCW and carry the slim trim easy to IWB the sig239-9mm. The double stacks are thick as a brick. I did try the G26-G19,but the thickness dug at me and they printed the brick.
Old September 30, 2011, 06:58 PM   #65
dgludwig

If you want a reliable, well-made, affordable 9mm semi-auto, give a long look to a used Smith & Wesson Model 5906. But only if you, like me, prefer a da/sa pistol for self-defense. With some looking, you should be able to find a nice one in the neighborhood of three to four hundred dollars.
Old September 30, 2011, 10:28 PM   #66
Crankgrinder

ill throw mine in. my first pistol purchase was a 9mm for me it was a tossup between the xdm and a beretta px4 so i bought the px4 because when i picked it up it seemed to be made for my hand and you can set it up any way you like with removeable back straps for larger/smaller grips not to mention to me it was a great looking pistol as well. berettas are made in italy and is the oldest gun maker with 500 years doing it as far as the springfield xds theyre made in croatia marketed under the springfield name to americans that was another point to me but they do come with alot of stuff when you buy one and ive heard great things about them as well.Then you ve always got glocks, CZs are probably the best for the money, sigs (not sig 1911),walthers(watch out they do the name-marketing thing too on some of their guns),of course also smiths(no sigma)and IMI baby eagles are great too(now owned by kahr arms) all still in the 500 or so range. I also bought a taurus pt111 pro and its a great pistol to shoot as long as you use round nose bullets it does not feed federal hydra shocks they slam into the feed ramp with their flat nose so ill say for your purposes no taurus either.
Old September 30, 2011, 10:40 PM   #67
batmann

I'll take ny Glock 22 (,40 S&W) over anything out there. Light, reliable, EASY take down and lots of after market stuff. You can by mags for $20-$25 ( I have 8).
i just got back from shooting over 200 rounds through my Glock and I cleaned it in 25 minutes and was taking my time.
I also have a Taurus D/S Pro also in .40 that has been reliable as well. Don't let the anti-Taurus comments get to you. They are a lot of gun for the money.

Tags
9mm , springfield , taurus