The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 31, 2008, 01:27 AM   #1
the swede

Bought 700PSS, wanting to know if it's been tampered with. (pics)

Well I got this rifle in a trade. I didn't see the condition before I bought it, and this is the first rifle I've owned of this kind. It seems that where the stock meets the chamber section of the barrel there is a whole bunch on glue all the way around. I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I don't care about it looking pretty, I just want to know if this is stock looking or if it has been repaired or tampered with in some way. Thank you so much-

Old December 31, 2008, 01:47 AM   #2
Powderman

I believe that, rather than being tampered with, your stock was bedded to perfectly match the action. Take a trip to the range and shoot some groups--you might be pleasantly surprised.
Old December 31, 2008, 01:54 AM   #3
the swede

Thanks Powderman. Like I said I don't know much about bolt actions, If it is bedded then tamper is the wrong term. I appreciate it. That definitely is not stock looking though, am I correct?
Old December 31, 2008, 02:04 AM   #4
Antihero47

You are correct, bedding of the action does not come from the factory. The action from the factory very often does not have a full contact to the stock. When there is play in the stock due to inadequate contact, the rifle after shooting will not always 'reset'. The action can move a little.

A lot of people use a epoxy compound and fill the inside of the stock a little, then place the action and the first few inches of the barrel into the epoxy. This then hardens, and if done correctly, the action then lifts, leaving a very very smooth contact area specially made for your action. This will make the action fit into the stock like a glove, preventing movement after firing.

Its done to improve the accuracy... Its a added bonus. If its done correctly then trust me, if you were a accuracy nut it saved you some time and effort.

Now, go to the range and shoot some groups!
Old December 31, 2008, 02:14 AM   #5
the swede

Thank you guys!
Old January 5, 2009, 06:02 PM   #6
Alleykat

Why don't you pull the action off the stock and see what's underneath? I usually bed the tang and recoil lug areas of rifles that feature aluminum bedding blocks, as does you rifle's H-S Precision stock.

You'll want to torque the action screws to 65 in/lbs.
Old January 12, 2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Bosshoff

Be gentle if you decide to go exploring under the action.
Old January 12, 2009, 10:38 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

"Why don't you pull the action off the stock..."

Just hope that the guy who did the bedding job did it right, or the action might not come out of the stock; it might be in there forever, or until you saw the stock off!

Jim
Old January 13, 2009, 10:10 AM   #9
Alleykat

Surely, the bedder used a releasing agent! Could be the action is just "skim bedded".
Old January 13, 2009, 08:24 PM   #10
Powderman

Quote:
Just hope that the guy who did the bedding job did it right, or the action might not come out of the stock; it might be in there forever, or until you saw the stock off!
Hm. Brings to mind when I bedded my Winchester. I mixed the bedding compound, and used automotive wax as a release agent. When I mated the action to the stock, my first warning sign was when a bunch of it came into the magazine well. Instead of pulling it apart and cleaning up, I just got it out of the mag well and left it alone.

The good part is that my bedding of the rifle turned it into a true 1/4 minute rifle--it puts 175 grain MatchKings into under a half inch consistently at 100 yards.

The bad part is that the rifle hasn't been apart in over 5 years.

Don't ask me how I know.....