The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 31, 2006, 01:58 PM   #1
rahtreelimbs

Contaminating Primers???

I just used a bullet puller to take apart some .300 Win mag ammo that I no longer have a rifle for. I have the empty cases sitting in water to contaminate the primers before resizing. How long should I let them sit???
Old December 31, 2006, 02:14 PM   #2
snuffy

As long as they stay wet!

Primers are very hard to de-activate. If you let those wet primers dry out, they would still be live. The only thing I know of for deactivating primers, is a solvent that will disolve the sealer applied to the primers as the last step of manufacture.

You could have eased the live primers out of the cases while resizing without too many worries.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old December 31, 2006, 05:19 PM   #3
TimRB

I let a dozen or so priimed cases sit in kerosene for several weeks, and even that didn't kill all of them. I gotta believe that water wouldn't hurt them much.

Tim
Old December 31, 2006, 06:41 PM   #4
3XBT

popcorn

I had about a 100 very old primers ,they started to misfire looked alittle fury down inside them so I soaked them in WD-40 for about a week then thought they must be dead so throwed them in the burn barrel then trash and lite , For about 15 min. it sounded like I was popping popcorn . They don't Die easy
Old January 1, 2007, 02:36 AM   #5
mrawesome22

Do you have a rifle you can shoot them in? Pull the bullets and powder then light the primers off in a gun.
Old January 1, 2007, 09:50 AM   #6
singleshot

The folks are right... primers are much harder to kill than we've been led to believe.

I'm currently doing some testing and it seems as if Hoppes #9 is most effective although it still takes a lot of time