The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 2, 2002, 02:15 PM   #1
Ceol Mhor

Cracked stocks

Ok, I bought a NIB Stoeger 12ga coach gun a few days ago. The stock on it had cracks on either side right behinfd the triggers. It appeared that the stock had been bolted onto the frame too tightly. Anyway, I took it back to the shop and they replaced the stock. I got it back three days ago, and today I noticed another crack! This one's at the top of the stock, next to the opening lever. I know it wasn't there when I picked the gun up from the shop...and I still have yet to fire the thing. Am I unlucky here, or is there some chronic problem with Stoeger's stocks? I'm planning on taking it back again, but if this is likely to happen a third time, I will probably just return it and get a different brand of gun.
Old January 2, 2002, 04:14 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Here's what causes stock cracks....

Badly fitted wood to metal.

Poor wood prep, as in not enough drying time.

Abuse.

Too much shooting with heavy loads.

Overtorquing screws.

Since this hasn't been fired, it's 1,2 or 5, of more than one of those three.

I suggest shooting the thing a bit(light loads) and seeing what happens with the cracks. If they get worse, return it. If you're hitting well with it,decide whether you want a good looker or a good shooter.