The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 7, 2013, 09:52 PM   #1
SigSauerKraut

Suggestions for Compact Range Bag

Hello all - I am a brand-new member to this forum and am most happy to be here (gun people are GOOD people!).

I thought that I would ask if anyone can suggest a quality, compact range bag. I'm not new to shooting but had been away from it for many years. After picking up a Springfield XDm 9mm (which I really like), I bought a "tactical" range bag on Amazon. I got it for a good price but it is just WAY too large - over 20" long and almost 12" deep. My stuff just gets lost in it.

I'd like to find something much smaller and I'd really like it to be "squattier". I don't need anything really deep. Ideally, I'd like it to be ~14" long (I could live with 12"), ~10" wide, and ~8" deep. I don't expect to find something exactly this size, but hopefully you get the idea.

In addition to the XDm, I recently purchased a SIG P938 (which I REALLY like). So I've got the two pistols, a Leight collapsible hearing protector, two spare magazines for the Springfield and one for the SIG, and a few boxes of ammo to carry. I like to carry a can of Barricade and a cloth, too. But that's about it.

I don't mind shelling out the cash for good quality but I don't want to spend a fortune.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old December 7, 2013, 09:54 PM   #2
TXAZ

Welcome. As far as a compact bags, look at 5.11. They have several. I've also seen several use large fanny packs with 2-4 compartments.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old December 7, 2013, 11:06 PM   #3
RPEmmert

I've got one of the compact MidwayUSA bags and really like it. Not sure what the sizes are for sure but I don't feel like my stuff gets lost in them. I've got the larger one too, but really don't use it now because its almost too big for quick trips to the range.
Old December 7, 2013, 11:53 PM   #4
ClydeFrog

Range bags, cases, etc....

For good bags & range items, Id look at the following websites;
www.uscav.com www.blackhawk.com www.midwayusa.com www.nra.org www.natchezss.com www.brownells.com www.5.11tactical.com www.csmgear.com www.galls.com .

5.11 Tactical & Blackhawk have some good kit.
I'd look for bags you can lock or secure & models with re-enforced stitching.
Range bags need to carry many items & hold up to the elements.
Cheap gear bags or cut corners will let you down.
Spend the $$$ to get a decent brand.
My friend in NY just picked up 2 new Browning Black Label range bags.

I used a MTM plastic case with security lock for nearly 20 years but now I'm looking at a decent milspec range bag.
Old December 8, 2013, 11:02 AM   #5
SigSauerKraut

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions and the prompt replies! That's what I love about the internet and this kind of forum.

Here's one that I found that seems to be exactly what I'm looking for:

http://www.galatiinternational.com/product/MSRB.html

I forget where I first stumbled upon it - Cheaper Than Dirt, I believe. But the size seems perfect and the reviews that I've seen seem pretty good with respect to quality.

I found one on Amazon from GPS (G Outdoors) that looked promising, also. Amazon did not list the dimensions so I went to the manufacturer's site. They don't show the dimensions either (are you KIDDING me?). Then, to top it off, you go to their "Contact Us" page and they tell you, "Please contact one of our associated retail accounts." They get the big "F-Y" from me. I promptly removed it from my Amazon cart.

But, again, thank you VERY much!
Old December 9, 2013, 10:40 AM   #6
jmr40

Go to Home Depot, or any place that sells tools. Check out the canvas tool bags. It isn't for everybody, but you can find an assortment of sizes and styles that will work. They are typically cheaper than a bag designed as a range bag and don't scream "guns inside" if someone sees one in your car.

I found this worked better for me.
Old December 9, 2013, 01:44 PM   #7
diablo508

this is the one I use:

http://www.condoroutdoor.com/136_tac...sponsebag.aspx

think I got it for like $20-30 at a Surplus store years ago...is perfect for the range
Old December 9, 2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Spats McGee
Staff

I think I'm going to use a diaper bag for my next range bag. Nobody breaks into a car to steal a diaper bag.
Old December 9, 2013, 04:31 PM   #9
southjk

Quote:
I think I'm going to use a diaper bag for my next range bag. Nobody breaks into a car to steal a diaper bag.
Good idea. I've seen people use them and you are right, no one wants to steal a diaper bag. And they have lots of pockets for extras. Spill some strained peas and some milk on it and it will really look the part.

edit: the Eddie Bauer brand is good because it's not too feminine.
Old December 10, 2013, 10:42 AM   #10
Gaerek

[quote]the Eddie Bauer brand is good because it's not too feminine.[quote]

Just get this!

http://www.lapolicegear.com/lapg-jum...FQuRfgodfXIAlA

Old December 10, 2013, 05:30 PM   #11
sserdlihc

I use a diaper bag too. Found a nice Eddie Bauer bag at Ross' dept store. It's not padded like a typical range bag, but it works for me.
Old December 11, 2013, 12:15 AM   #12
GermanShep

Quote:
Nobody breaks into a car to steal a diaper bag.
Up until about a month ago I would have agreed with you. However, I had a friend of mine who got his truck window smashed while it was sitting in his driveway and all they took was the Cabelas diaper bag that was sitting in the back seat.

For me personally, I am not comfortable leaving a range bag with firearms in it in my unattended vehicle for any length of time. Even in the locked trunk of my car. Its sad that we have come so far from the days of a gun rack in the back window
Old December 19, 2013, 08:08 PM   #13
SigSauerKraut

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to respond. Here's what I ended up buying:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Death-Dealer...item1c3948b003

It just arrived today so, of course, I cannot attest to its durability. But it seems to be very well made with quality hardware.The wife liked mine so much that I am contacting the seller (Kevin) tomorrow to get another one for her.

Thanks again & Merry Christmas!
Old December 19, 2013, 09:56 PM   #14
SVTCobra306

If for some reason you don't like it, look into a Blackhawk! Sportster shooter's bag, like this: http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Spo...,1784,1549.htm

I have one, it fits any of my handguns in it easily, holds 4 magazines each for a pair of them. I tend to put a semiauto in each pouch off the center and a revolver in the middle if I need to carry all three. The side pocket fits more than it looks like it would.. and if you don't fill the side pocket, the whole thing folds out flat with the pistol and magazine pouches to the top. My only complaint is that it is kinda purse-ish looking except for the MOLLE loops. So far it has been durable enough to carry three handguns, eight magazines, and cleaning supplies/ear/eye protection to the range with me for better than a year without issues.
Old December 22, 2013, 04:42 PM   #15
silverstang23

Anything blackhawk or 5.11 makes is a good option
Old December 23, 2013, 05:04 PM   #16
mattlago

Cheap camera bag on ebay. Small, tons of pockets and usually pretty durable.

I have a 5.11 for my full size and love it. But if just want a small one, I used to use a camera bag and it worked well.
Old December 23, 2013, 05:41 PM   #17
Garycw

I got a couple of these and they're actually very nice with lots of inside & outside pockets. I was surprised at the quality considering the price.
http://m.wayfair.com/products/NCS1382
Old December 24, 2013, 11:01 AM   #18
Pahoo

Wal-Mart ???

By now, it's obvious that there are more choices, sizes and pricing. I own quite a number of these and lately, purchased a small one from good old Wal-Mart. it cost me right at $15.00. Our Wal-Mart, is currently caring two different sizes, in black nylon. The one I bought, is the smallest of the two. Lots of storage and the price was right !! ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 29, 2013, 09:46 AM   #19
CZ_Todd

Direct Tools or Fossil

I get Ryobi or off name tool bags (the wide mouth opening ones) at Direct Tools outlet and they work great--for $10 or so, you can't beat 'em! I use those going to the range where I'll be carrying ammo and such, which will be heavy.

If I'm just wandering, shopping, etc. and want to carry off-body, I use Fossil bags which will carry my phone, tablet, camera (EOS-M w/22mm, I'm a photographer and like to have one with me at all times), and my Kahr CW9.

I don't like having anything that looks tactical, military, camo, etc., since that screams "I have a gun!" or "break into my car and steal my gun!".

Camouflage means blending in with your surroundings, being inconspicuous. Camo from head to toe isn't inconspicuous, unless you're out hunting.
Old December 29, 2013, 10:12 AM   #20
Gunnels

Because I shoot Beretta guns my family gave me a Beretta range bag for Christmas a year ago. I love the bag and it has served me well but it is pricey. There are several of them on the BerettaUSA website. Before I got the Beretta bag I used a canvas tool bag I got from Lowes. It also served me well and was much more reasonably priced.
Old December 30, 2013, 01:52 PM   #21
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZ_Todd
I get Ryobi or off name tool bags (the wide mouth opening ones) at Direct Tools outlet and they work great--for $10 or so, you can't beat 'em! I use those going to the range where I'll be carrying ammo and such, which will be heavy.
Welcome to TFL, CZ_Todd!

My only problem with that suggestion is that thieves like to steal tools and guns out of cars. They (tools and guns) are both fairly easy to turn into cash through the black market, or even through the local classified ads.

Nobody steals dirty diapers.
Old December 30, 2013, 09:19 PM   #22
Gunnels

I actually like the idea of the diaper bag. You're right, no one would suspect a diaper bag. However, if you are going to have a diaper bag you have to have a car seat. After all, a diaper bag without a car seat, that would be a dead give away. You will need a car seat. While you are at it you might as well get a minivan. You do drive a minivan, don't you?
Old December 30, 2013, 11:45 PM   #23
skizzums

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i have this one and really like it, its the dimensions you requested, 10.5 x 15x 7.5, darn close anyways