The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 31, 2013, 09:00 AM   #1
Dogpatch

.35 Rem expander die

I've been reloading pistol ammo for a long time but just recently started with some bottleneck rifles. I have no problem with 22-250, 30-06, and .223. Recently I dusted off my old Marlin 336 in .35 Rem and came across an old set of RCBS dies for the caliber. SO..... I bought a box of Hornady rn 200g. bullets, #3515, resized the 50 or so rounds of factory brass I've accumulated and am waiting for some IMR 4064 to become available.
While patiently waiting and just to play with things I decided to see how the new bullets fit into the resized and expanded cases....VERY tight fit. Out came the vernier and a problem. The Hornady bullets spec out at .358, so says the box and the vernier, the expander ball in my old (1970's) RCBS "FL" .35 REM die measures .356
Did I buy the wrong bullets or is my old die set for something else?
I noticed that RCBS sells the decap and expanders separately, part # 9820, about $9 for what they say is .35 but they do not give the dimensions, would I be buying another .356.

Thanks for listening,
Old July 31, 2013, 09:23 AM   #2
dahermit

Quote:
just to play with things I decided to see how the new bullets fit into the resized and expanded cases....VERY tight fit. Out came the vernier and a problem. The Hornady bullets spec out at .358, so says the box and the vernier, the expander ball in my old (1970's) RCBS "FL" .35 REM die measures .356
I think you are "buying trouble", that you do not have. When you get your powder and charge one of the cases, try to seat a bullet as usual (very carefully), and see if there is any real problem. If there is, repost.
Old July 31, 2013, 09:28 AM   #3
Jim Watson

The expander is SUPPOSED to be smaller than the bullet.
The bullet is SUPPOSED to be a press fit into the neck of the case. That is what keeps it there until it is shot, not a crimp.
Old July 31, 2013, 02:02 PM   #4
FlyFish

Just out of curiosity, I dug out my old set of Lyman dies in .35 Rem that I've used, with no apparent problems, for the last 25 years or so. The expander ball miked at .3555. Because of the tubular magazine in my rifle (Marlin 336) I do like to crimp my reloads in this caliber, though I haven't done any testing to determine that it's actually necessary.
Old July 31, 2013, 04:58 PM   #5
dahermit

Quote:
Because of the tubular magazine in my rifle (Marlin 336) I do like to crimp my reloads in this caliber, though I haven't done any testing to determine that it's actually necessary.
If it were mine I would apply the traditional light crimp that has always been used for tubular magazines. Inasmuch as lever-actions are known for good-enough-for-deer accuracy, I suspect even if uncrimped were more "accurate", the difference would not be significant and could be ignored. What you do not want to happen (when shooting at deer you are not likely to notice), is having a bullet pushed too deep into the case and you fire it without knowing. Crimping in your situation makes sense.
Old July 31, 2013, 05:06 PM   #6
Dogpatch

Gentlemen, thank you.
One more question if I may, in the "Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook" 4th ed. there are listed two cast bullets both sized to .358, neither is bevel based, one is gas checked. How would one start one of these into the mouth of a case .002 smaller without shaving lots of lead.
Thanks again,
Dogpatch
Old July 31, 2013, 05:25 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
How would one start one of these into the mouth of a case .002 smaller without shaving lots of lead.
Cast lead bullet loading has techniques unique to lead bullets. The case mouth is "flared" slightly, or belled and the flair/bell is removed with the crimp die. There are special dies that will do that. RCBS, Lyman, and Lee (Lee has a "universal" die), all make dies/tools that will do that job. If you wish to do just a few you can get by with just twisting any tapered tool in the mouth of the case while pushing down gently. I have used several different tapered items to do so, like one of the ends of the handles on a pliers. Do not over do it, a slight flair is all that is needed. But, it is best to get the proper tool.
If you have a compelling interest in cast lead bullet loading, you may want to visit the Cast Lead Bullet Association's web site:
http://www.castbulletassoc.org/index.shtml

Look way down on the left-side, near the bottom for "CBA Forums".

Note: "Bevel Bases" are not usually used for rifle cast lead bullets.
Old July 31, 2013, 06:48 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Cast rifle bullets are best loaded after neck expansion with a Lyman "M" die.
That expands most of the neck to slightly under bullet diameter for a snug fit, but the top 1/16" or so to a bit over bullet diameter. That let's the bullet seat without scraping up lead (or jacket) and with better alignment than the bugle mouth flare of a typical pistol expander.