The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2013, 08:39 AM   #1
vito

Just wanting to set up my new Lee press

Received my Lee press the other day and after setting in on the bench and installing the handle I wanted to figure our how to get started. Included with the press are two identical odd sort-of L shaped pieces with a spring piece sticking out of one side. Nothing in the paperwork instructions explains what these are or how to install them. I hope someone reading this knows what I am referring to since I have no idea what these things are called or if I need them. Then I really screwed up just messing around with the die that de-primes a round. I guess I didn't seat the case properly in the case holder, so when I lowered the die it popped out the old primer but the shell case is now stuck completely into the die. So far I have not figured out how to pull the case out and I wonder if I have ruined the die itself. Once I get past these issues I need to find something that instructs me on how to adjust the dies to the proper positions for actually doing the reloading. Help!
Old January 25, 2013, 08:44 AM   #2
Qtiphky

Lee website

Go to the Lee website and watch the videos. They were very helpful when I started years ago. Also, which press do you have? Without that information, it will be hard to help. Are you an experienced loader or is this your first press, or just your first Lee? Also, what caliber are you loading for?

As for the stuck shell. Take the depriming pin out by removing the nut on the top of the die. This will give you access from above the stuck shell to try and drive it back out the bottom of the die. You may need to freeze the die to make the shell case smaller and allow it to move. You may need to spray some lubricant or penetrating oil to also allow it to move. It is not fun and will consume most of your day, but it can be done.

The instructions on how to use the dies should have come with the dies. If not, again, the Lee website should be able to help.
Old January 25, 2013, 08:47 AM   #3
Turbo6ta

1. Which Lee press are you trying to setup? ... 4-Hole Classic Turret Press?

2. Are you useing the Lee Pro Auto-Disk Powder Measure?

3. Are you using the Lee Safety Primer Feeder?
Old January 25, 2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Justified

Primer Seating Parts

The two L shaped pieces are for seating new small and large primers.
the notch rests on the side of the press and as the case is lowered the L shape pivots into position to seat the new primer.

As far as the case getting stuck in the die... did you use the right size case holder? Did you use case lube or are you using carbide dies?

Lee's website has a bunch of how-to video segments worth watching.

Justified
Old January 25, 2013, 09:53 AM   #5
Turbo6ta

Pull the case holder out of the press.

If it's the correct case holder for .45 ACP, it should have a "2" stamped on it (at least mine does). Then once the case holder has been removed, take a .45 ACP case and see if the bottom of the case slides smoothly into the case holder.

As for that L shaped piece ... You should have recieved 2 of them with your press. Look at the little cup (mounted on the little spring) ... You will see that one of the cups is smaller than the cup on the other L shaped piece.

The smaller cup is obviously for small pistol primers and the L shaped piece with the larger cup is for loading large pistol primers.

If your using the Lee Safety Primer Feeder, you got 2 of them ... One is for large primers (the one with white plastic on it), and the other is for small pistol primers.

Anyway, to start off, you need to make sure you are using the correct case holder and the correct parts for either large or small primers.

As you have already been told ... you need to look at the various videos on how to set everything up correctly.

You should have recieved instructions with your set of dies. Read those closely (even though they can be confusing a little).

If your using the Lee Carbide 4- Die set, here is basically some easy to understand setup / adjusting instructions:

1. Sizing / Decapping Die:
Screw the die in until it touches the shell holder and tighten the lock ring.

2. Powder Through Expanding (Flare) Die:
Screw the die in until it touches the shell holder, then back it out 1 full turn (for a small flare) and tighten the lock ring.
Screwing the die inward increases the flare. (mine is set to only 1/4 turn in order to achieve enough flare)

3. Bullet Seating Die:
Screw the die in until it touches the shell holder, then back it out 3 full turns and tighten the lock ring.

NOTE: If a crimp is desired, now screw the die inward slightly and test until the proper crimp is formed.
This additional crimp should NOT be needed when the Factory Crimp Die is used (see below).

Cartridge overall length (COL) is adjusted by screwing the top knurled knob either in or out.

4. Factory Crimp Die (FCD):
Back out the top knurled knob. Screw the die in until it touches the shell holder and tighten the lock ring. Insert a finished round in the die. Screw the top knurled knob in until it touches the case mouth. Then remove the cartridge from the die and screw the top knurled knob in an additional 1/2 turn for a light crimp or 1 full turn for a heavy crimp.
Old January 25, 2013, 05:47 PM   #6
vito

Thanks for the advice. I have the Lee 4-hole Classic. I didn't find the very short videos on the Lee site helpful, my next try will be on You Tube. As for the stuck case in the die, thanks for advice. I removed the depriming pin (harder to turn that bolt than I expected) and was able to knock the case out of the die. I guess I need to figure out how to attach the primer feeder and the auto disk powder measure and then it might be clearer how to proceed. To get started I don't want the turret to turn so that I can do a batch of each step before moving to the next step. I'll check the instructions again to see how to do that.
Old January 25, 2013, 05:52 PM   #7
Vance

To keep the Lee Classic Turret from auto indexing, remove the turret, remove the indexing rod, reinstall the turret. Now the turret will index manually meaning when you want it to.
Old January 25, 2013, 06:12 PM   #8
Fire_Moose

Also, the primer feed does not attatch to the pro auto disk. Your Pres should have come with a little plastic piece and an odd shaped washer. I believe you pull out the bolt on top towards the front, put plastic piece on then washer then reinstall bolt.

Sent from my CZ85 Combat
Old January 25, 2013, 09:16 PM   #9
hk33ka1

You will need one of those primer levers in the ram if you are sizing/decapping brass even when not priming with new primers. It deflects the old primer down into the ram so it is caught in the tube below.

Ammosmith has a lot of good Lee Youtube videos as does Iraqveteran8888

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM54KBOf4IY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iW9z1LaKM4
Old January 26, 2013, 01:42 PM   #10
CrustyFN

Quote:
Included with the press are two identical odd sort-of L shaped pieces with a spring piece sticking out of one side.
Those are the primer seaters. They go in the ram before you install the shell holder. One is large and one is small primers. You need to leave one installed to keep the spent primers from coming out of the slot and going on the floor.

Quote:
Then I really screwed up just messing around with the die that de-primes a round. I guess I didn't seat the case properly in the case holder, so when I lowered the die it popped out the old primer but the shell case is now stuck completely into the die.
Just loosen the nut on the top of the die. Then take a punch or something the same size as the depriming pin and a hammer and drive the case out of the die.
Old January 26, 2013, 03:05 PM   #11
snuffy

Man, you need to back off, slow down, and do some studying.

Reloading can be very rewarding, but is NOT easy. You have a lot to learn, do that before you hurt yourself or somebody else.

It sound like you tried to size a case WITHOUT a shell holder in the ram. No other reason for the shell to NOT be pulled back out of the die!

It also sounds like you do NOT have a reloading manual. Reading the front portion of ANY manual would have prepared you for your first try at sizing. Best bet is to find somebody that is experienced at reloading, have he/she come over to get you started.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?