The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 7, 2000, 08:25 AM   #1
KilgorII

I'm going to be loading for a .308 in a few days. It has a 24 inch barrel. Is there a good, clean, available powder that will measure accuratly in my LEE powder measurer? I have been thinking about it and it seems that the long, rod shaped powders would not be very consistant. Is this true?

Old June 7, 2000, 10:15 AM   #2
Bogie

The Lee does better than most of the more expensive ones with stick powders. Personally, I'd just use IMR 4895 - You should, with a little practice, be able to throw charges within 0.2 grains of each other. That's good enough - you won't see a whole heckuva lot of deviation, and it's one of the best "harmonic" powders with 165-168 grain bullets... Powder weight really isn't that big a deal with accuracy, especially with the larger cartridges, like the .308 - I'd worry more about just making sure it is the same level in the cases... Uniform your flash holes, seat your primers with a hand seater (the Lee works very nicely), and neck size your brass.

Old June 7, 2000, 11:13 AM   #3
TaxPhd

H4831SC. The SC is for "short cut." It is an extruded powder, but it is cut shorter. Will improve metering in any powder measure.
Old June 7, 2000, 04:31 PM   #4
Mike / Tx

I haven't tried the Lee measure but I do use the Uniflo. I have found at least with it that the Reloader powders will meter through seemingly better than most of the others. They seem to be fairly clean burning as far as that goes. The Hogdon powders with the SC behind them also will work well.

If you are going to be doing at-range loading you might consider making a load chart ahead of time. Do this by setting your measure to the lowest weighed charge for the powder or powders you are using for each bullet weight and record the setting. Do the same for the max loads. Then you can set up at the range and work up your load in 1/8 and 1/4 turns. This can really save a lot of time trying out different loads.
Old June 7, 2000, 05:01 PM   #5
McChainsaw

KilgorII I would like to add my 2 cents worth. I use all ball powders for the reason that they work well thru a powder measure. I have had good loads with AA 2520 in the .308.Also have used H414 and W748. Hope this helps.