The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 28, 2008, 01:26 PM   #1
mastayoou

first shotgun help... trap maybe deer later

hi guys,

i am a newbee and am actively looking for my first shotgun... i will be using it mainly for single shot skeet/trap... (not sure the diff yet) but the range by my place flings a clay from a little house in front of the shooters and it goes right, left or away... 5 shooters at a time

most people there have over unders or really nice looking semis... prob expensive from what i have read on the forums

at some point will be possibly looking at going to shoot ducks...but not sure

i need help looking for something in the 500 range and whether or not to buy used or new... pump or semi...etc....

i know this topic has been discussed many times, but just want to see what if anything has changed in opinions...

i am thinking a 1100 trap??? ... oh yeah... one other question... what chokes do i need for either activity.. i think the answer is full choke for skeet..not sure bout ducks

thanks in advance for taking time to respond
Old October 28, 2008, 08:51 PM   #2
USA123456789

Well here is a little info on the game of trap. The target is goingabout 42mph depends who set them. The range of the target is about 50 yds. My advice it doesnt matter if the gun u buy was the Wal-Mart special this month as long as the gun u buy fits you you will shoot that gun great.
Old October 28, 2008, 11:22 PM   #3
zippy13

Greetings, mastayoou, and welcome aboard.

For info on trap, see shootata.com.

A Rem. 1100 Trap would be better suited for ducks than deer. However, you can get a special deer barrel that will fit your 1100 Trap.

A full choke is the last thing you want for Skeet -- you got it backwards. Briley is one of the most respected choke experts. Here's a link to their target choke application chart.
http://briley.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=51

Last edited by zippy13; October 29, 2008 at 01:45 PM.
Old October 29, 2008, 08:22 AM   #4
Kentucky Deer Hunter

This is coming from a hunters point of view. I have shot some trap, but haven't really gotten into it too much.

I just found a sweeeeeet deal on a mossberg 935 28"/24" combo at Dick's Sporting Goods for $499.00. This gun usually sales for over $600.00. This is the camoflauge version, but I am sure they have the wood grain version as well. You can use the 28" barrel for trap, ducks, and geese and use the 24" for turkey and buckshot. It comes with a set of chokes but like someone else mentioned, briley chokes are where it is at. I also really like the truglo Xtreme gobble stopper choke tube.

Here is a picture from Buds Gun Shop, but you can get it at Dick's Sporting Goods for $499.00. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/14633

It is very important to do some research on choke tubes and learn what you can and cannot use together. For instance, you don't want to shoot steel shot through a full choke. It seems like you are on the right path, so keep reading, researching, and asking questions and you will do fine.

Another thing too, like someone else said, go to a gun store and pick up the guns and see what feels right for you. I shoot Mossbergs because they fit my shoulder better, I tried the Remingtons, Benellis, Berettas, and so on.

Most importantly, be safe and teach the sport to a young one.

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?
Old October 29, 2008, 02:11 PM   #5
BigJimP

Welcome.

In general most good pump guns will cost about $ 500. Most of the popular semi-autos are $ 900 - $ 1,750. Most of the better O/U's are
$2,000 plus.

Picking a first gun is tough - because what really matters is "fit" - so it hits where you are looking - but almost any gun can be adjusted by putting some comb pads on them / shims between receiver and stock.

In the $ 500 range, I would suggest a good pump gun / and there are a lot of them out there new and used. My personal preference is the Browning BPS with a 28" barrel for all around bird hunting, clay target games. In general a Modified choke will work for singles Trap ( from 16 yard line ) with lead shot. If you like a semi-auto Benelli is my favorite - it shoots clean, cycles very fast ( with comfort tech system in it, its a soft shooting gun ).
Old October 30, 2008, 03:00 AM   #6
olddrum1

Trap gun/Deer

BPS Browning or 870 Remington.