The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 25, 2006, 10:32 AM   #1
rgjujitsu

Challenging boar hunt?

In sw florida is there such a thing? It seems that they are all fenced in and the dogs catch them within minutes. Even though it is only my second time hunting, I want it to be challenging. I don't want to shoot something sitting there eating from a feeding bin you know? Does anyone know of a good place for a challenging hunt for boar? Thanks and merry christmas.
Old December 25, 2006, 03:03 PM   #2
ammo.crafter

Consider hunting w/o dogs. It's much more challaging. Also, take a ride up north to the Carolinas. Take enough gun!

Last edited by ammo.crafter; December 25, 2006 at 03:04 PM. Reason: .
Old December 25, 2006, 03:36 PM   #3
dixierifleman

come out to citrus county. pulled in a 200 pounder last weekend. we use dogs to and they catch them pretty easy. hardest part is findin a fresh trail for the dogs
Old December 25, 2006, 04:25 PM   #4
Bigfatts

I wanted to do a guided hunt but they all seem to be either dog hunts or one where they drive you around til you see something and you shoot it from the vehicle. Where's the sport in that?

Load up and go to a WMA. No guide, no dogs, no tree stands. Just you, your cammies and your rifle, or shotgun. They are ALL OVER the Green Swamp, sign is very easy to find. I just got back from an overnight trip but alas, the weather turned quite sour and my wife already being sick we had to pack it in early, or else I would still be out there. The closest we got to them today was squealing, fresh digging and poop. We never caught them, the wind was too shifty and kept giving us away. They're there, alot of the time right off the side of the roads, you just have to catch up with them.
Old December 25, 2006, 06:29 PM   #5
Buckeyenomad

A WMA might be a good start. If you place the shot well a .357 will do the trick easily. A .44 mag is probably the most popular because of the fact that so many people believe everything that is written and so called "dangerous game" will make a man out of the hunter. A recent outdoor magazine just finished hyping up the wild boar. Good reading, hunting preserve owners will profit from it and I'll guarantee that some crazy hunter is going to be packing 2-3 guns, a huge knife and kevlar from the ground to their waster thinking they are going to risking their lives hunting these dangerous man eaters.

I first started hunting wild boar in 1979 and for some reason it's still my favorite. Like any wild game in North America except for maybe the grizzly, they'll run away from any noise or hint of a human. A lot of the boar in TN or the hunting preserves around the country, come from trappers in Florida or some other southern state.

Just remember this ...deer kill more people than bear in north america.
Old December 26, 2006, 01:17 AM   #6
banditt007

wild boar once wounded, i hear they have a tendency to not try to run away and come after you? any truth to this or is it just more hype?

i mean i've read this from people on forums like www.texasboars.com so i'm inclined to beleive it is true, but again it could be BS like anything else.
Old December 26, 2006, 02:10 AM   #7
Fat White Boy

My experience tells me that if they are cornered, they will come at you. If there is an escape route, the pigs will normally use it...Not always, but usually.
Old December 26, 2006, 12:40 PM   #8
dixierifleman

ive had sows and boars charge me when they werent cornered
Old December 26, 2006, 02:32 PM   #9
john in jax

They'll run AWAY if nor cornered. Last year I stalked a whole pack - - 2 @ around 50#, 2 around 70# one big sow around 100# and way too many little ones to count. I was able to get a shooting lane in a ditch, and shot the wrong head bobbing in, took one of the 70# pigs instead of the big sow. Before I knew it the whole herd was bearing down on me (kneeling in the tall grass alongside the road). As soon as I stood up, they all changed direction directly away from me.

I'm not sure about SW FL, but here in North FL WMA's offer good challenging hunts hunting. Going home empty-handed is the status quo, makes getting one real special.
Old December 26, 2006, 03:09 PM   #10
rgjujitsu

thanks, I actually live in illinois but don't know where to hunt boar around here. what is wma?
Old December 26, 2006, 09:14 PM   #11
Bigfatts

Wildlife Management Area, aka public land. You have hogs in Illinois?