The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 24, 2015, 01:53 PM   #1
AZRoger

Is Hydrashock's Day In The Sun Over?

Certainly ShootingTheBull thinks it is, at least for 3 in. barrels. I think his testing in ballistic gel with and without heavy denim is as reliable or better than anyone else is doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wFN...ription-upload
Old February 24, 2015, 02:04 PM   #2
Venom1956

no.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old February 24, 2015, 02:20 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Hydrashock's started out as a cast/swaged .38 HP, 30 years or more ago. They didn't really do what they claim any better than any other JHP then either.
Old February 24, 2015, 03:10 PM   #4
Stevie-Ray

I won't quit using it. Best accuracy, and best shot to shot repeatability in my weapon, compared to another half-dozen of today's best SD rounds. Proven track record, also.
Old February 24, 2015, 05:09 PM   #5
Guv

I have a box of the original made by Scorpion, they are hollow base WC's seated backwards with a center post.
Old February 24, 2015, 06:25 PM   #6
RickB

Hydra-shok went through a number of iterations; I've used at least three distinct variations of the 230gr .45 load, and the latest version was presumably an improvement on the first and second.
I still have a couple of mags stoked with the last version that I bought, and I suspect a hit with one of them is a lot better than a miss with something else.
That said, I've changed to Winchester SXT as my load of choice, and that may have also been superseded by something REALLY effective?
Old February 24, 2015, 06:34 PM   #7
AZRoger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guv
I have a box of the original made by Scorpion, they are hollow base WC's seated backwards with a center post.
Interesting. 40 years ago I used to handload a defense load for my Mod 60 S&W s/s .38 Spl which consisted of 135 gr. hollow base w/c loaded backward in the case. Strickly a 10-15 ft. protection round cause beyond 15 feet they tumbled so bad you couldn't hit a barn with them. Up close, though, they really caused a mess.
Old February 24, 2015, 06:34 PM   #8
Snyper

Hydrashocks have worked well for decades, and a Youtube video won't change that
Old February 24, 2015, 06:37 PM   #9
AZRoger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
That said, I've changed to Winchester SXT as my load of choice, and that may have also been superseded by something REALLY effective?
I have stayed in the family... using std vel. HST 124 gr.
Old February 24, 2015, 06:50 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

IMHO, Hydrashok's day in the sun ended five or six years ago. I would use them if that's all I had, but I think there are much better choices today.
Old February 24, 2015, 07:28 PM   #11
ninjarealist

I do watch these videos and take them into account. I have heard that Hydrashocks feed well and if it was the only type of JHP that my gun liked I would use it without hesitation.

But yeah, the consensus from most youtube gelatin tests seems to be that Hornady Critical Defense is one of the most consistent performer in most calibers. It's also, in my experience, the cheapest and most widely available, so it's what I use.
Old February 24, 2015, 09:25 PM   #12
Crankgrinder

It probably works as well as anything else but lots of other things have come out since then. It's not the latest and greatest anymore, but neither is solid lead swhp and we all know how well they say those work.
Old February 24, 2015, 09:34 PM   #13
AustinTX

Quote:
It's been over for quite a while.
Old February 24, 2015, 09:54 PM   #14
skizzums

hydrashok is the only bullet I couldn't get to expand from .38+p.

hyrashok up top, flattened from hitting the concrete after 2 feet of water. I know it's not the most scientific method of bullet testing, but it has made EVERY other bullet expand perfectly except the hydra. tried twice.
Old February 24, 2015, 10:06 PM   #15
orionengnr

Fifteen years ago...
Old February 24, 2015, 10:20 PM   #16
FairWarning

I wonder if a Hydrashock can even still stop a thug (or even hurt him) since it's apparently no longer fashionable, and therefore no longer dangerous?

Ditto for the infamous Federal 357B Mag load that has an enviable record against bipeds, but can't seem to win praise from certain dwellers on message boards.

Have humans become tougher in the last 15 years?
Old February 24, 2015, 10:27 PM   #17
skizzums

I don't think anyone is saying that any bullet isn't deadly or dangerous. but hydrashok's are sold at the same premium as other "defense" ammos, I want the BEST option that I can afford to protect myself. if we are talking plinking ammo, I wouldn't give the same level of scrutiny. carry ammo needs to be strongly evaluated IMO
Old February 24, 2015, 10:35 PM   #18
Shadi Khalil

While I totally agree with the sentiment of, "humans are not any tougher" you also have to take in to account that ballistics is a science that's constantly being researched. People study short falls in ammo and try to fill in the gaps; hence the gold dots, HST's, ect. I have no problem carrying Hydrashok but when it cost the same as its better performing competitors, it's a no brainier.
Old February 24, 2015, 10:50 PM   #19
Siggy-06

Hydrashocks or Golden Sabers ride in my pistols still.
Old February 24, 2015, 11:29 PM   #20
Dragline45

I have one of the mags for my Beretta loaded up with Hydrashocks, I honestly wouldn't feel any better off with the mag full of Gold Dot's over it. I don't get caught up in the latest and greatest HP's, in the end that is really the least of your worries.
Old February 25, 2015, 12:39 AM   #21
AustinTX

Quote:
I wonder if a Hydrashock can even still stop a thug (or even hurt him) since it's apparently no longer fashionable, and therefore no longer dangerous?
Yeah, because someone made that argument. Let's keep our posts at adult-level around here, please.
Old February 25, 2015, 06:10 AM   #22
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairWarning
Your argument is like comparing a 1963 split window coupe to a 2015 Corvette. In 1963, the then-new split window coupe with mechanical fuel injection was one of the (if not THE) hottest American cars around, and certainly one of the most sought after.

Today? The cheapest 2015 Corvette is orders of magnitude faster than the '63, handles infinitely better, and has far better brakes. Is the '63 still a classic and highly sought after? You bet. Is the 2015 a better vehicle in just about every possible aspect? Yes -- and nostalgia for the '63 split window can't change that.
Old February 25, 2015, 07:22 AM   #23
dahermit

Quote:
Interesting. 40 years ago I used to handload a defense load for my Mod 60 S&W s/s .38 Spl which consisted of 135 gr. hollow base w/c loaded backward in the case. Strickly a 10-15 ft. protection round cause beyond 15 feet they tumbled so bad you couldn't hit a barn with them. Up close, though, they really caused a mess.
How many dead bad guys did you examine to come to that conclusion?
Old February 25, 2015, 08:18 AM   #24
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I still meet old timers who chant "They all fall to hard ball."

I switched over from Hydrashoks to HSTs when I saw the gel test differences. Hydrashoks always had difficulty with clogging on clothing and failing to open.
Old February 25, 2015, 08:26 AM   #25
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB
Hydra-shok went through a number of iterations; I've used at least three distinct variations of the 230gr .45 load, and the latest version was presumably an improvement on the first and second.
Don't give ATK more credit than they deserve.
More bullets are changed to reduce manufacturing costs than to 'improve performance'.