The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old May 4, 2011, 02:26 PM   #26
jmr40

You don't have to be jumping out of helicopters to break a stock. The only synthetic Iv'e ever seen anyone manage to break was a B&C. The guy was shooting groups off a bench when it broke from recoil at the grip.

I realize not everyone wants or needs an expensive stock. The simple solution to that is just to use the stock that came on the rifle. They work just fine and spending $200 on a B&C is not an improvement. I have 2 and if it were an option on the guns I have I'd use a factory tupperware stock any day over the ones I have.

I have no personal experience with MPI, but have heard nothing but good things about them. My personal choice is McMillan because they are about $150 cheaper than MPI and they deliver a stock to your door ready to go. Just take it out of the box, bolt it to your action and go shooting. The Brown Precisons, and High-tech's require a good bit of final fitting and finish work either by you or your smith and will usually end up costing more after all is said and done.

The 1 B&C I ordered came with the holes for the action screws drilled at an angle and required hours of work just to get it to fit the action. Then many range trips and stock tweakings to get it to shoot straight. After all the time, money and profanity it took to make it right, it would have been cheaper to have bought a McMillan.

The other B&C I own came new on a Winchester EW rifle. I found a used McMillan and put it on the Winchester and moved the B&C to a FN Patrol rifle. I still don't like it, but it was a major improvement over the Hogue that came on the FN.

Weight is a major consideration to me. Most of my hunts involve backpacking into remote areas. None of my rifles weigh over 7.5 lbs including scope and mounts. Some are under 6 lbs. You don't do that with a 3 lb stock. And after walking 5-15 miles a day in the mountains while carrying all of the other gear needed it is worth every dime.
Old May 8, 2011, 10:47 PM   #27
Colorado Redneck

Factory stock compared to Duramax

Well, I disagree Jimr40. The Savage model 12 I have came with a cheap floppy synthetic that looked like heck, and was about as classy as a squirt gun. I replaced it with a Duramax and the first group of 3 shots was 3/8 inch. That gun with the original stock shot groups like that, so improvement in accuracy wasn't on my list. There were two things I wanted in the new stock: something more rigid and something that makes me smile when I look at it. The Duramax did both. For a whopping $124 plus shipping. It took maybe 20-30 minutes to get it mounted. Had to sand the barrel channel on the right side, and the trigger slot needed some work. Well worth the money.

I am replacing the stock on an old model 70 that had the same issue. The original stock sucked for looks and was cheesy. A laminate stock from Richards is going on that gun. It has been a project for several months, as I just pick away on it when I have time and feel like it. The gun shot fairly good with the original stock. Hope it shoots as well after all is said and done. This is a "pimp" job, as it is really colorful. And doing the inletting and fitting, pillar bed, and maybe glass bedding, sanding, finishing etc is a learning process.

CR
Old May 9, 2011, 03:55 AM   #28
hooligan1

FWIW I have to send my B&C Duramax back, TERRIBLE FIT!!!! I worked for two hours with it only to decide I couldn't make it fit my action properly!