The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 22, 2011, 06:50 PM   #1
BigJimP

Shooting Boxes - do you have them for the range or club ??

I do ....

For my shotguns ...my box is a 12 gallon plastic rubbermaid storage box / with a lid ...( it used to be an 8 gallon box ) and it grew ...???

In my "shotgun shooting/range box" that goes with me everytime I go to the club / or to the field, or wherever ....I keep:

a. several plastic fishing lure boxes ( with about 8 compartments in them ) and put the chokes in them. One box for Citori Inv Plus 20ga chokes / one box for Citori Inv Plus 28ga chokes / ...one for ...Citori Inv ( not plus) chokes ....or whatever ...
b. a few odds and ends in that box ...to be an amateur gunsmith, if I need to be, at the club...a hammer, a break down cleaning rod, some break free oil, some bandaids, some allen wrenches, some extra trigger shoes, some extra front sight lite pipes, a long screw driver and a long allen wrench to take the butt stock off a gun if I had to .../ a few screw drivers / a nail that could act as a punch ...stuff like that ....
c. suntan lotion ...it lasts about 3 yrs up here ...

What do you guys carry to the range / haul your stuff around in ....??
( I keep my shooting glasses, ear plugs, membership badge - in my shooting vest - and a baseball hat) ---and it goes too / just not in the box - no extra room in there. The box lives on a shelf in my garage / and into the car ....as I load my guns and shells for a range day ....
Old June 22, 2011, 09:17 PM   #2
oneounceload

I have a bag I bought decades ago from a company called "On Point" ( I believe they are long defunct.)

As to plano lure boxes - I have them for each gun, but I ONLY take the ones I need for the gun I am bringing with me.

This bag is your basic nylon/canvas with outside compartments, etc. The main section can hold 12 boxes of shells.

I also bring: hearing protection, shooting glasses, little spray bottle of glasses cleaner with microfiber cleaning cloth, spare foam ear plugs for JIC, a bandana to wipe off the sweat, a choke tube wrench for JIC, sunscreen, bug spray, homemade stuck-wad-knocker-outer, extra pencil for when we lose the one they gave us with our scorecard, shooting (i.e. golf) gloves, small Slip-2000, small RemOil, small syringe of Shooter's Choice grease, empty plastic wad bag for empty hulls, two small rags for wipe down, a small collapsible umbrella, spare batteries for my electronic hearing protection, and a large lawn and leaf bag (emergency rain poncho for me or gun)

That's AFTER I cleaned it out.................
Old June 22, 2011, 10:10 PM   #3
zippy13

Not a box, but a bag. I use a standard Bob Allen shoulder bag for trap or Skeet.
Old June 22, 2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Yes, I have two, one for 12 gauge and one for 20.

The 12 gauge one is a tool box I bought from Home Despot or similar for less than $10 on sale. The big bottom compartment holds about 200 empties, the lift out tray holds tools, tubes, oil and a couple $0.25 coins.

Those last are redneck choke tube wrenches. I have a few of these, one holds some rifle tools and a set of sandbags.

The 20 gauge box was made for hanging files. It holds 6 boxes or so in one layer on the bottom and the lid has some compartments.
Old June 22, 2011, 10:48 PM   #5
oo0juice0oo

not to the range, but we usually shoot on public land so I just keep everything in the back of the jeep. Almost everything goes in my big tackle box: tools, cleaning gear, rags, spare parts, mesh bag for brass, and lots of CLP.

Side note: I like how you said band-aids BigJim because I think that is what we have gone through the absolute most when we go shooting. Usually when we do it it's a big event with all of our friends and whoever they bring(roughly 15-20 people, about 15-40 guns depending) and EVERY TIME somebody's girlfriend get's a nasty scope bite, or somebody's cousin has his thumb on the back of the slide when he shot(never understood that one). But for me band-aids are essential in the gear list!
Old June 22, 2011, 10:56 PM   #6
TheKlawMan

What about a folding chair? I always bring a dowel rod jic, but today did not, when I got a wad stuck in the pipe.
Old June 23, 2011, 07:52 AM   #7
johnbt

I have bags - tool bags, shooter's bags in various sizes, shoulder bags, etc. The smallest is probably a tool bag and the largest is an old iShot Tournament bag with removeable inserts and exterior pockets for muffs, a water bottle and such. It even has a mesh-bottomed bag for empties.

A buddy uses a heavy duty rolling suitcase. It's packed full and so heavy that he can barely lift it out of his truck.
Old June 23, 2011, 11:47 AM   #8
BigJimP

Ok, now I'm laughing ...

It seems like there is no end to what migrates into my "shooting box" ...I have some crush activated hand warmers in there too ...and a small box of misc "stuff' in there as well ...a pencil, choke tube wrenches that I never use, a name tag that says "Dick Head, but its Richard to You ! " ...from my friends ...etc ....

My shells - have their own separate plastic storage bins / 12 boxes to a bin per gague / so there are 2 or maybe 3 bins of shells that go too.

And a gun case for every gun ...and rarely do I go with only one gun / often 2 or 3 ...

But then - there is also a bag that stays in my SUV with rain pants, rain jacket, spare socks, a big hat, an extra baseball hat, an extra shirt ...

and when I shoot sporting clays ....the rugged gear clays cart goes in there / and a spare tire tube, and hand pump ...and cooler, and snacks, ..and ...and ....

(for handgun shooting / I have a whole seperate 40 lb bag that I lug around ).

So I'm pretty well set to invade Canada or any small unknown country on a moments notice !!! --- and I can see all of you guys are just the same...

No wonder our wives or significant others - think we're all nuts !!!
Old June 23, 2011, 12:35 PM   #9
zippy13

Jim, my friend, I may have misunderstood your original question. You asked about all about the stuff you have in the car, and I mentioned just the box/bag that I take to the field.

For a single round of practice, I just take the shells in my belt bag to the field. For multi-round events, I take my range bag (with a plastic bag for the hulls and empty boxes). For additional stuff in the car, I have a general tool box and each gun has specific tools and replacement parts in its individual hard case. Toss in a couple of fuzzy sticks, and I'm ready to go.

If our friend TheKlawMan is serious, Harbor Freight has their $12 folding chairs on sale for $8 until July 4th.
Old June 23, 2011, 12:51 PM   #10
TheKlawMan

Zippy. Those camp chairs seem pretty handy when it gets busy at Prado, at least, or if there is a club meeting or a shoot.
Old June 23, 2011, 12:52 PM   #11
johnbt

"So I'm pretty well set to invade Canada "

You nearly have enough stuff to go duck hunting.

It gets really crowded when it's duck hunting in the morning and fishing in the afternoon.
Old June 23, 2011, 01:03 PM   #12
oneounceload

Klaw - you need one of these:

Several "elderly" gents where I shoot use them while waiting for their turn - available from stateside places as well:

http://www.williamevans.com/Wooden_T...1288625112.htm

and easy to carry/stow away
Old June 23, 2011, 01:25 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

Oneounce. Is that a leash on the end of the camp stool so I can drag it along behind me form station to station. I like the one Zippy pointed out at Harbor Freight. It has a drink holder, magazine holder and I could attach a calmp on umbrella with a battery powered water spay unit.
Old June 23, 2011, 01:43 PM   #14
BigJimP

No Zippy, I meant the " shooting box " - that goes in the veh / not what you carry out to the skeet field ...

Its just no wonder ---in an 8 passenger SUV ....why I only have room for 4 people to ride / after we load all the " stuff " ....and the air-ride suspension seems a little lower ... ...( and not just on my side ..in case you're laughing) ...
Old June 23, 2011, 02:30 PM   #15
zippy13

Jim, when I'm seriously traveling with guns I've got a huge box that takes a bunch of cased guns as well as all the extras, but it replaces the third row of seats in the Suburban.

1-oz and KLaw
The best folding seats I've seen at the range are similar to the one in 1-oz's link, but one of the legs is a cane. They are adjustable and can be easily moved from station to station.
Old June 23, 2011, 03:13 PM   #16
oneounceload

Except my friend Zippy, they have a low weight maximum..............

and Jim, my bag that I take to the club/field IS as described above and contains everything except my vest - which put between the straps.

Now metallic, OTOH, that I have one of those plastic storage boxes with the inter-connecting top as I need to carry a spotting scope, sand bags, targets, more tools and cleaning kit, etc.

But for clays, my range bag and my gun. For sporting clays, I add my folding three-wheel golf cart in the car
Old June 23, 2011, 06:56 PM   #17
zippy13

1-oz, I'm with you, there's more stuff to go with metallics than shotguns. Add black powder to the mix, and I'm bound to forget to take something along. Last week we got to the rifle range only to find that a new .223 Rem load my buddy wanted to test were back on his garage bench!
Old June 23, 2011, 06:57 PM   #18
oneounceload

Zippy - I can relate - can't remember how many times I get to the range and I have guns with the wrong ammo
Old June 23, 2011, 07:06 PM   #19
BigJimP

Keeping the range bags cleaned out is always a hassle ...but yes, there is a lot of stuff that goes to the handgun range with me too ....( but I'm only 10 min from home if I forget something there ) / vs 45 min each way for the shotgun club....so I tend to carry more stuff to the shotgun range.
Old June 23, 2011, 07:10 PM   #20
ZeSpectre

I have an AWP Rolling Cargo Tool Bag that I bought a few years back at Lowes for about $35. I just checked and they go for $50 now.

Roomy and tough as nails.

It's big enough that I could potentially load it up too heavy to carry but mostly it gets rolled anyway so it's no issue.
Old June 23, 2011, 07:45 PM   #21
krimmie

My blind bag doubles as my range bag. Everything to break down and clean my shotgun goes inside.

Similar to this one....
Old June 24, 2011, 08:55 AM   #22
oneounceload

Nice bag krimmie - looks roomy
Old June 24, 2011, 09:21 AM   #23
krimmie

Quote:
Nice bag krimmie - looks roomy
It is, a bit too roomy, esp. at dark thirty, standing in sawgrass searching for the repellent.