The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 9, 2014, 03:54 PM   #1
JJNA

S&W 686 Grips for Small-Handed?

I recently purchased a S&W 686 and found that the stock rubber grips are less than ideal for my small-to-medium hands, especially after many trigger pulls.

After some research, I narrowed down to three prospective choices:

Jerry Miculek grips: http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?...oducts_id=8083

Altamont Round Conversion Target: http://www.altamontco.com/experiment...son_kframe.php (specifically this one: http://www.altamontco.com/experiment...s/SKC-TO07.jpg)

Ahrends Retro Target: http://ahrendsgripsusa.com/retro.htm

Does anyone here have experience with one or more of these stocks and provide some feedback? Thanks!
Old June 9, 2014, 06:55 PM   #2
357 Terms

Eagle Secret service grips are good.

http://www.eaglegrips.com/guns/Secre...Frame-Rou.html
Old June 9, 2014, 07:34 PM   #3
amd6547

The small K-frame Magna grips with a Tyler T-grip make for a great shooting combination for small to medium hands.
Old June 9, 2014, 08:16 PM   #4
ckpj99

I have pretty small hands though I think you'll find after shooting a lot you want a grip that feels a teeny, tiny bit large. It just works better for quick double action shooting.

I have to K/L-frame guns (the same frame size as your 686). I have a standard magna grips, the thin panels which used to come stock on S&W revolvers, paired with a Tyler-T grip on one gun. And I have the Miculek grips on my second gun. They both work great and sort of have a similar feel. The Miculek grips are pretty long (which doesn't really matter for your grip, but does if you want to carry the gun concealed). So it just depends on how you want to use the gun. If it's just for the range or home defense, the Miculek grips are probably best.

Finally, I really don't understand why anyone would suggest Eagle Secret Service grips to anyone with small hands. They offer a two-finger grip on a gun that's more than large enough to allow a three-finger grip. These grips were extremely awkward for my hands. I believe they are only appropriate for people with very large hands. I may be wrong, but I did not like them. I see no reason to go with a two finger grip on such a large gun, and frankly any grips I've tried with finger grooves don't fit my hands correctly.
Old June 9, 2014, 10:53 PM   #5
JJNA

Thank you for all the suggestions, but I am really interested in experienced opinions regarding Miculek grips, Ahrends Retro Target and Altamont Round Conversion Target.

ckpj99, are your Miculek grips the smooth type or the checkered?
Old June 9, 2014, 11:16 PM   #6
ckpj99

My grips are smooth, just a personal preference. If I were shooting a lot of .357 magnums, I might want some checkering to help me hold on to it.
Old June 9, 2014, 11:27 PM   #7
JJNA

You know, I used to prefer aggressive checkering on grips because I sweat profusely on my hands, but would experience a lot of rawness on my palms and fingers especially because I'd really grip tightly to counteract the sweat-induced slipperiness.

Now I have come to the view that the hard-gripping was increasing the sweatiness of my palms and the checkering, combined with the tightness of the grip, was abrading my hand badly and just worsening the situation.

I am considering going smooth for all my guns. Thanks again for your input.
Old June 10, 2014, 02:12 PM   #8
ckpj99

JJNA - yeah, I think it's really a matter of the function of the gun. If it's a defense gun, and the checkering helped me shoot faster, then there you go. For a range gun or something I'm shooting a lot, I'd go smooth.
Old June 10, 2014, 06:52 PM   #9
JJNA

Anybody try Ahrends Retro Target or Altamont Round Conversion Target and provide feedback?
Old June 10, 2014, 08:27 PM   #10
bhcarl

I have a set of Altamont round conversion target grips on a S&W model 65, look great, fit perfect and fit my hands perfect, love them.
Old June 11, 2014, 05:28 AM   #11
Salmoneye

+1 on the Magnas with or without the T-Grip...
Old June 11, 2014, 05:38 AM   #12
salvadore

sign me up, thats what I do with my new smiths...Altamont can also attach a S&W logo badge just like the old days.
Old July 30, 2014, 08:13 PM   #13
JJNA

So I have a pair of Ahrends Retro Target (in Tung oil). It's an attractive set of grips and ergonomics are definitely improved over the S&W factory rubber grips for me. However, I still find the trigger reach a bit on the long side (manageable, but not exactly comfortable like Ruger GP100 with Altamont/old style grips). Also the grips don't quite fit flush and there are some gaps.

Are Miculek grips thinner than Ahrends and, therefore, allow for a shorter trigger reach?