The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 7, 2011, 11:29 PM   #1
ftballgod

best concealed carry gun/holster for a big guy

i live in wisconsin and we are just months away from being able to CC!!!! i have gone back and forth about what gun to carry and how to carry it. i originaly liked a small pocket gun like the ruger lcp. but now i am leaning towards a wheel gun. i have 2 model 19 snubbys. but they are a bit heavy. maybe the ruger lcp? i like the 357 model. now for the tricky part. i am a big guy, 6'2" 375 pounds. most holsters are set up for skinny guys or at least guys without a beer belly. i need something that will hide well, stay on, and not pull my pants down. i wear mostly jeans or shorts. and t-shirts or sweatshirts. any help including pics of your set ups would help.

thanks.
Old July 7, 2011, 11:48 PM   #2
bamaranger

seasonal

I am a big fan of pocket carry of small handguns, like an LCR, a Chief's Special, Dick Special, or in autos, a PPK, a Sig 230, or the LCP. Particularly useful in hot weather. Somebody 5'8, 145 lbs is not going to easily pocket carry the above handguns, but a big guy (I'm not to tiny myself) can drop any of the above in a pocket and go on.

In cooler weather, one can up the payload and conceal under coat, jacket, vest, etc.

One thing for sure, take it with you. A four figure 1911 is no good in the vehicle or on the dresser when your incident goes down.
Old July 7, 2011, 11:57 PM   #3
BarryLee

Hey, I too am a little larger than average 6’1” 230ish not really fat, but think out of shape football player. I have experimented with several holsters and sometimes regrettably that is what it takes. Remember to also try different positions on your belt I have found that a few inches one way or the other can make a big difference.

I use the Mil Sparks VM-2 with a SIG P220 & P229 I know they make versions for lots of handguns. Also, had a holster made for my S&W Model 66, which is similar to the model 19, by Simply Rugged. Yes, the M66 snubby is a little large, but I have pulled it off before. Also, be sure to get a really good belt that can accommodate the holster and remember it will have to be a few inches longer than normal.

Pocket carry is also a very good option, but be sure to use a pocket holster I use a cheap one from Uncle Mike’s for my LCP and it works great.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 7, 2011, 11:57 PM   #4
GURU1911

Concealed holster for big-boys

My "sil" is about 6'2" & weighs 240. His carry arm is a s&w-m&p .40 cal. I bought him a "crossbreed super-tuck" holster for birthday #27 & his acceptance to texas a&m university. He really loves his holster !!!

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old July 8, 2011, 07:44 AM   #5
Don P

Absolute pure nonsense. A good sturdy "gun belt" along with a good leather holster. I stated leather for the holster because in my opinion for out side the waist holster they pull in tight the best. Again my opinion. If you choose to go with a inside the waist band holster you will need for comfort to wear pants 1 size larger so your setup is comfy. Again all is my opinion.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old July 8, 2011, 08:45 AM   #6
Jamie B

Quote:
I am a big fan of pocket carry of small handguns
Same here.

Kahr PM45 in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster.

Works great in jeans and cargo shorts.

My Hand can be on the gun, and nobody knows.

I also have the same setup for my SW 642 .38.

Jamie
Old July 8, 2011, 10:08 AM   #7
Nitesites

Congratulations on reclaiming your right to bear arms! If I were you I would celebrate by going big! Get a "Mac Daddy" full-size 1911 and call it a day. With the right combination of quality belt and holster, you will be well served. And give my best to all the new RKBA cheeseheads up there!

Last edited by Nitesites; July 9, 2011 at 01:04 PM.
Old July 8, 2011, 10:41 AM   #8
coop2564

Here's my recommendation M&P 40c and a king tuk. Very comfy and distributes the gun weight so not to pull down pants as bad as a single point holster.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...layErrorView_Y

http://www.opticsplanet.net/galco-king-tuk-holster.html
Old July 8, 2011, 10:41 AM   #9
Wag

Congrats to WI for doing the right thing!

I'm 6'4" and 250# and use a Galco belly band. As with anything it has its pros and cons. Or rather, the things I like and the things I don't like about it! Read on.....

Pros.

-Inexpensive. About $70. My wife bought it for me at the LGS so I'm not certain. Probably cheaper on line
-Doesn't require a belt. (Further reduction in cost, of course.)
-As it doesn't require a belt, it isn't weighing down my belt/pants
-Since it isn't attached to a belt, it's easier to manage things while in a public restroom stall
- It's elastic so sizing isn't a huge issue, really. They do come in sizes, though, so pay attention when ordering
-IWB carry (In both sections because some may prefer OWB!)
-Although you can tuck your shirt in over it, it requires some care to ensure complete concealment
-Can use most oversize shirts to conceal, including a t-shirt
-Conceals large handguns. I use a 92FS and a P220. Have not tried a wheelgun yet
-Can actually adjust my belt/pull my pants up without revealing or "flashing" the firearm
-Sitting with the pistol in place all day is no big deal. On occasion, I can feel it's there, but most of the time, I don't even notice.
-Flexibility of carry method. Just position the gun wherever you want it. I haven't tried to move it up to chest level yet, but I imagine it's possible
-More or less universal as to which guns you can carry in it although I haven't tried any smaller guns, only full size pistols
-Ambidextrous with two pistol pockets. I suppose you could carry two guns if you wanted to do so

Cons.

-Best worn on top of a t-shirt/undershirt to prevent chafing
-Will chafe badly if you don't wear the aforementioned t-shirt
-I don't know yet, but it seems like it could wear out in short order and negate the cost savings. Still pending
-No retention strap. I haven't lost it yet even while working under the car, in the yard, etc. but I worry about it. If you cinch your belt down too tight, it seems like it could cause it to get squeezed out. After several months, though, it seems like its not going to be a huge problem
-Summer heat makes it a bit of a sweat fest
-IWB carry (In both sections because some may prefer OWB!)
-Difficult to tuck in a shirt over it, however, not impossible. Just takes some effort to ensure complete concealment
-When sitting in the car, it can work itself up above your belt line. It will still conceal, but the feeling of having it up that high is eerie and you have to get to a private location to adjust
-Sitting in a car and some seats with the longer barrel pistol can cause some pinching if the gun isn't holstered JUST right
-On occasion, the pistol will move a bit wrong and pinch me. Requires a quick trip to a bathroom stall to readjust
-Speaking of which, depending on the gun, it has to be positioned JUST right in order to be truly comfortable. It can take a while to figure this out. The Sig is easier to get comfortable than the Beretta
-Spare magazine pouch can "lose" the magazine, depending on how you're seated. Not a problem in a car or chair but a cushiony couch can somehow pinch it right out. Fortunately, this only happened at home on one occasion
-Generally, the spare magazine pouch seems to be comfortable enough, but again, takes some effort to figure out how to position it just right.

I carry at just a hair forward of 3:00 with a forward cant. I use the belly band "backward." By that I mean that judging from the shape of the holster pockets it's supposed to be on the "other"side with the velcro in the back and the spare mag pouch up front. My wife uses this holster as well and that's how she wears it.

For me, however, I find it's better for me to turn it so that the velcro is in front and the spare mag pouch is in the small of my back. It's not uncomfortable but YMMV on this point. If I have the Beretta, I don't use a spare mag anyway. With the Sig, the mag is pretty skinny but as mentioned, it can work itself out if I'm not paying attention.

I may be forgetting something. I'm sure all holsters have their share of goods and bads which is likely the reason why there are so many different holsters out there.

Of a certainty, I'm not saying this is your best solution but something to consider.

--Wag--
Old July 8, 2011, 10:59 AM   #10
Wrothgar

Quote:
most holsters are set up for skinny guys or at least guys without a beer belly.
HA!! As a skinny guy, this is a ridiculous statement. I had the hardest time picking out a firearm that wouldn't print. You can conceal everything; there's no way I could conceal a full size firearm without buying a whole new wardrobe. I had an XD40 subcompact that I had for all of 2 months because it was ALWAYS printing. I ended up with a Sig 238 and a S&W J frame because that's all I can hide.

Last edited by Wrothgar; July 8, 2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old July 8, 2011, 11:15 AM   #11
C0untZer0

I feel like I work for the company as a salesman (I don't and I'm not). It's just that the smallest and second lightest 9mm out there seems to get left out of the CCW conversations.

Rohrbaugh R9
Caliber:9mm
Barrel:2.9in
Length:5.2in
Height:3.7in
Weight:13.5oz
Magazine Capacity:6 Rounds

Diamondback DB9
Caliber:9mm
Barrel:3.0in
Length:5.6in
Height:4.0in
Weight:11.0oz
Magazine Capacity:6 Rounds

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DB9-left.jpg (19.3 KB, 1753 views)

Last edited by C0untZer0; July 8, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
Old July 8, 2011, 03:58 PM   #12
trex1310

The absolute most important thing in ccw is a good belt then a good
holster then a quality gun that you are proficient with. A good rig is a
Glock 22 in a Galco Concealable owb holster.
Certified in BBQ on the Green Egg
Old July 10, 2011, 01:16 AM   #13
ftballgod

very cool. i like the king tuck holster and the belly bad so far. also i just bought a LCR 357. so that will be my main carry gun. i am looking forward to fining the right rig for me.
Old July 11, 2011, 07:15 AM   #14
Mobuck

You're 6'2" and weigh 375# and you're concerned that a gun in a belt holster will pull your pants down?
The commitment to carry concealed has it's drawbacks and downsides. If a person is not willing to modify their clothing choices to suit carrying, I'm concerned about their overall commitment and desire.
There's is a tremendous amount of self control involved in carrying a weapon. When I see an individual asking for someone else to tell them about a magical holster so they can carry w/o having to change their attitude or attire, I see a potential problem at some point.
Old July 11, 2011, 07:36 PM   #15
pogo2

Nothing wrong with a model 19

Your existing model 19s should work on a good belt holster - I presume they are snubbies? I have model 19 and stainless 66 snubbies and they work just fine in this PWL belt scabbard holster. The shape of the revolver allows it to conceal very well in this mode, worn at about 4:00 on the belt.

Old July 12, 2011, 12:43 AM   #16
Wrothgar

Quote:
There's is a tremendous amount of self control involved in carrying a weapon. When I see an individual asking for someone else to tell them about a magical holster so they can carry w/o having to change their attitude or attire, I see a potential problem at some point.
What about finances? Do you really expect someone to go out and purchase a whole new wardrobe just because they want to carry? They've already spent about 400 bucks on a gun, plus about 200 for the license, 75-200 on the holster, and NOW a whole new wardrobe?
Old July 12, 2011, 05:56 AM   #17
dabigguns357

it all depends on if you like iwb,owb(inside wasteband or outside wasteband)and how far you are willing to go with both.

There are at least 50 different ways to carry,try different ones to see what you like best.I'm 5'10" and 235 better known as short squatty (i prefer puffy) and i carry a full sized S&W 686 4 inch .357,a glock 22,or a 4506-1 .45 and i carry either owb or sholder holster.

i have a great belt that holds up any gun i have or i just throw them in a shoulder holster (vertical).I use either dun hume,Bianchi or galco holsters and always leather(personal choice,i love leather).

Old July 12, 2011, 06:47 AM   #18
ltc444

You can concealed carry just about anything you want.
Attitude and physcial demeanor are more important than actual method of concealment.

I am 6'1" 250. When I was thirty pounds lighter I packed a GI 1911 in a pancake holster. Covered it with a light jacket. Never was challenged.

My partner, a cocky character, who was shorter but built about the same as I was, would get spotted every time we were working a plain clothes assignment.

It was his attitude, and actions. He constantly had to check his weapon, mag pouch. He had that gunfighter strut. I could never retrain him. Finally we pulled him off all plain clothes activities.
Old July 12, 2011, 11:08 AM   #19
JerryM

If you like a wheel gun there are no better choices than a J-frame. I have a M 642, M 640, and M 60. The latter two are .357s. The 642 is an airweight, and I carry that most of the time when I carry a revolver.
The Ruger SP 101 is a great gun although I don't have one.

You could make your M 19 snub work if it is not too bulky for the clothes you want to wear, and if you are happy with the weight.

I prefer OWB, and I wear an Alessi CQC-S for my J frames. A pancake style holds the gun closer to the body than other styles of OWB. The snap allows easy on/off.

I reject the cute saying that a gun is to be "comforting not comfortable." If it is not comfortable I won't wear it. There are many combinations that are comfortable and comforting. I even carry a Kel Tec P3AT in a Fobus paddle holster much of the time. Yes, I am comfortable and comforted with it.

Probably my favorite carry gun is a Kahr P9 in a Rosen Premier Express. I bought mine off ebay for $75 incl shipping.

A good belt is a necessity, and for me a 1.25" double leather has served well, and fits my dress pants. I have 1.5" belts, but with guns as heavy as a SA 1911 Compact LW the 1.25" are entirely adequate.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 12, 2011, 12:29 PM   #20
45Gunner

You will get as many different opinions on this topic as there are shooters. I'm 6'2" and 240 lbs. I am on the way down trying to get back to my college weight of 225 lbs. I have tried many different combinations and always come back to the Galco OWB holster with a Kimber Stainless Pro Carry. I use a Galco Instructor Belt which is reinforced for pistol carry and the sizing is without limit which works for us big guys with a changing waistline. The combination keeps the gun in nice and close and never prints.

My good buddy that is a little shorter than me but a good 50 lbs heavier swears by the .357 magnum wheel gun in an IWB holster.

A guy your size may want to think about an OWB holster with a shirt worn outside the pants. It should be easily concealable and easy to get at if you ever need it...simply lift up the loose end of the shirt.
NRA Life Member
Old July 12, 2011, 02:17 PM   #21
Ringolevio

Sartorial changes are part of the equation

Wrothgar:
Quote:
Quote:
"There's is a tremendous amount of self control involved in carrying a weapon. When I see an individual asking for someone else to tell them about a magical holster so they can carry w/o having to change their attitude or attire, I see a potential problem at some point."

What about finances? Do you really expect someone to go out and purchase a whole new wardrobe just because they want to carry? They've already spent about 400 bucks on a gun, plus about 200 for the license, 75-200 on the holster, and NOW a whole new wardrobe?
Wrothgar, I have to agree with the quote and take issue with your comment. It's as if a diner in your bistro said, "I'm spending money on cabfare, drinks and dinner; you can't expect me to also afford to leave a TIP!"

Choosing to go armed is a decision not to be taken lightly, and it impacts one's day-to-day life in a myriad of ways, many of which can cost money.

Changing one's wardrobe in order to accommodate a concealed weapon is just another part of the process, and is hardly unreasonable. Rack it up alongside practice ammo, range fees, and (dare I suggest it?) professional training.
Old July 12, 2011, 02:49 PM   #22
Wrothgar

What I'm saying (and what I did) is find something that fits your current wardrobe. That part wasn't difficult at all. I'm 6' 175, and if I wanted to carry a full sized firearm, I would have to wear a shirt that would look like I'm wearing a tarp. I'm just not going to make myself look like an idiot to carry a firearm. So, I got 2 smaller firearms that I could conceal with what I already had. Problem solved.
Old July 12, 2011, 04:29 PM   #23
JerryM

The OP did not ask for a philosophical approach to CCW, but just some help with a holster and gun.
{"There's is a tremendous amount of self control involved in carrying a weapon. When I see an individual asking for someone else to tell them about a magical holster so they can carry w/o having to change their attitude or attire, I see a potential problem at some point."}

I am sure he would appreciate help in answering his questions.

Regards,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old July 12, 2011, 04:54 PM   #24
Wag

A big plus one on comfort. One of the reasons I'm happy with the belly band. Much of the time, I forget I have the pistol on me.

--Wag--
Old July 13, 2011, 12:56 AM   #25
Wrothgar

I really like the Crossbreed Supertuck or Minituck. They're super comfy and very high quality, especially if you get the horse hide.

Tags
carrying , holster