The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 19, 2011, 10:05 AM   #1
ZVP

The Great Black Powder hunt again...

Well I went through the task of trying to locate some Black Powder again this week! I checked everywhere out to about 50 miles and noone carrys the stuff!
I even tried Bass Pros who sometimes has a can or two, but no luck!
Short of special ordering 4# and paying an extra $20 for special shipping and handling,
I just gave up and bought a $17 can of Pyrodex.
Here in Central California, REAL BP is so hard to buy! I don't know why dealers around here don't order and stock the stuff because they would be swamped with orders if they carried it. I have asked and the dealers just say "too much hassle."
Oh well Pyrodwx is a close second and it cleans-up well!
ZVP
Old May 19, 2011, 10:45 AM   #2
mykeal

"Too much hassle" = "Not enough customers demand it" = "I don't believe in customer service for those who do"
Old May 19, 2011, 11:11 AM   #3
ZVP

Yea there are a bunch of BP shooters in my Club alone but most of us are in the same boat, we get real BP when we can or if we go to somewhere like Sacramento or LA where shops carry the stuff.
I know the Gun Shops around here Do get several requests to carry real BP but they just don't... If I get to Fresno I'll look there for some but that's around 150 miles away.
I think the dealers just don't care about pleasing such a small segment of their customers.
Sure is frustratingn if you shoot on a budget!
ZVP
Old May 19, 2011, 11:36 AM   #4
ClemBert

I don't understand what is soooo difficult about ordering 25 lbs at a delivered price of less than $14 per can then selling it to all those in your club at $18 per can. Seems like a win-win for everyone.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:20 PM   #5
kwhi43

And that's for Goex. You can get "Jacks Battle Powder" for less than that.
I don't understand it either. Mebby I ought to load up the car and take a
little drive to Ca.
Old May 19, 2011, 12:58 PM   #6
mykeal

Quote:
I don't understand what is soooo difficult about ordering 25 lbs at a delivered price of less than $14 per can then selling it to all those in your club at $18 per can. Seems like a win-win for everyone.
Well, for one thing, it's against the law.
Old May 19, 2011, 01:02 PM   #7
ClemBert

It most certainly IS!
Old May 19, 2011, 02:34 PM   #8
Hawg

I don't belong to a club. I don't shoot at a range. I don't even know anybody else thats shoots bp and I cant afford to buy in bulk. I can buy a pound ot Pyro here and there so I have plenty on hand but real black is out of the question.
Old May 19, 2011, 03:15 PM   #9
Slamfire

I am lucky. I am within 20 miles of a fireworks company who will sell black powder to the public.

Don't even think about bringing matches into the facility.
Old May 19, 2011, 03:49 PM   #10
Rifleman1776

I don't understand the difficulty. There are muzzle loading clubs in every state. Member or not, the guys at those clubs are friendly and helpful. Finding where they buy, or attending an event will get you in touch. I guess I am lucky to have about 30 pounds of real bp on hand.
Old May 19, 2011, 03:51 PM   #11
Hawg

The closest bp from me is 134 miles one way.
Old May 21, 2011, 06:09 AM   #12
rosewood

Anyone in ct interested in splitting a case?
Old May 21, 2011, 06:13 AM   #13
rosewood

Maybe I should call it "share" a case.
Old May 21, 2011, 07:00 AM   #14
Roaddog

I gess I'm lucky, I'm 55 miles from Track Of The Wolf.
Old May 21, 2011, 03:32 PM   #15
bobn

can a private person ups a can to another private person without breaking any rules? thanks bobn
Old May 21, 2011, 03:46 PM   #16
Hawg

No.
Old May 21, 2011, 03:53 PM   #17
Rifleman1776

HH, I didn't say it was always real close. My best source is 100 miles away. Even with high gas prices I consider it worth it to drive to the club, visit, trade goods and lies, do some shooting and buy my powder.
I can buy in a local gun shop but price is quite high. Agreed, subtract the gas and the store price is more attractive but does not include the comaraderie.
Old May 21, 2011, 04:00 PM   #18
salvadore

ya know, pyrodex is a great option if you're not a crazed black powder guy...gal...which I can relate to, if ya don't mind the smoke having a bit of brown tinge.
Old May 21, 2011, 04:00 PM   #19
Hawg

Rifleman, in my current situation I have to factor in the cost of everything I do. It didn't use to be this way and it really sucks.
Old May 25, 2011, 11:31 AM   #20
ZVP

My solution is to just buy the available Pyrodex and whenever it's possible grab-up a can of "real" Black Powder when I can find it.
Pyrodex isn't all that bad and staying dilligent ya CAN find the occasional Can of BP around here, you just have to be lucky!
I still can't believe that ONE dealer wouldn't realize the drought of real BP here in Central Calif, and just order a bunch and advertize say in the Shotgun News?
Oh well, Pyrodex does clean-up easilly...
ZVP
Old May 25, 2011, 06:53 PM   #21
Scooch

I'm not in a club but if I was I would suggest this in a club meeting:

Members buy into a club supply of BP, with a minimum total buy-in to support the minimum purchase of 25 total lbs. One person makes the purchase and the bought-in members are allocated their paid ration of BP in 1 Lb increments. You may want to set limits but it's not really necessary.

The catch: The BP remains in the possession of the designated buyer (Preferrably a club officer) so that it's never actually transferred to the individual's possession. However, the individual's allotment is reserved for only their use at club sponsored events or, if the club is sponsored by a range, then at the range where they can use it when they are there. Basically, the alloted ration never goes home with the individual that put in his/her money for the bulk purchase.

That would keep it legal, inexpensive and consistent.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:53 PM   #22
Hawg

I'd never go for a deal like that.
Old May 26, 2011, 08:04 AM   #23
Rifleman1776

Scooch, that arrangement wouldn't work at a monastery. Pretty impractical.
The law does allow clubs to maintain powder magazines and sell powder. It requires an investment, management and diligence to security but it works for some clubs.
Old May 26, 2011, 08:16 AM   #24
mykeal

Quote:
Members buy into a club supply of BP, with a minimum total buy-in to support the minimum purchase of 25 total lbs. One person makes the purchase and the bought-in members are allocated their paid ration of BP in 1 Lb increments. You may want to set limits but it's not really necessary.

The catch: The BP remains in the possession of the designated buyer (Preferrably a club officer) so that it's never actually transferred to the individual's possession
Legal, but unnecessarily cumbersome.

It is legal for a group of people to participate in a bulk purchase and have the powder distributed amongst the members based on their participation. There is no need for 'the club' to maintain possession or storage facilities. The key is that the members must pay in advance of the purchase - no 'buying in' afterwards. All the powder purchased must be spoken for in advance. Once the powder is delivered to 'the club' - which may be nothing more than one person designated to act for a group - the members take delivery from it. 'The club' cannot realize a profit nor charge a fee for the service.
Old May 26, 2011, 10:41 AM   #25
Scooch

Rifleman, Mykeal;

Aren't your descriptions exactly what I described as well?

Anyway, it seemed like a decent solution for buying in bulk and distributing within the letter of the law (if anyone truly wanted to be as tedious as all that). Personally, I probably wouldn't go for it either unless that was the only alternative.

I have not given the issue much thought, as BP seems to be easy to find/buy in Texas.