The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 7, 2009, 05:45 PM   #1
EnglishTeacher

Mossberg 930

Hello, this is my first post here at TFL. I've been reading a lot here lately and am glad for such a great resource of knowledge and experience.

I am looking a the Mossberg field/security combo. I have a couple questions about aftermarket compatibility. I am new to shotguns so my questions are out of ignorance.

I have seen Choate's magazine extensions for this model. Is there any reason why these extensions would not work for the combo shotgun? Could the magazine extension in any way interfere with changing barrels, or vice versa?

Mossberg lists a number of 930 barrels available for purchase. Again, pardon my ignorance, but these barrels are interchangeable among all 930 models? This would mean in a sense that the off-the-shelf barrel on a given shotgun is somewhat arbitrary, or sold for its popularity, or whatever reason, but it is not set in stone?

Thanks for your help and it's good to be a member here.
Old January 7, 2009, 06:28 PM   #2
.351winchester

I believe Coate is the OEM for the factory extensions
Any barrel should work but 18 and 28 should cover everything, unless you want a rifled slug barrel (24" with rifle sights, usually)

Great pick, had my eye on the SPX model a while, but haven't been able to hold on to 550. since gaining a mistress and other vices.

Welcome to the forums
Old January 8, 2009, 05:58 PM   #3
EnglishTeacher

Thanks for your reply. You have a good point about the barrels.

I've read that some people find they have to cut the Choate springs in the extensions so they do not push as hard. Has anyone run into problems with this?
Old January 9, 2009, 01:34 PM   #4
strat81

I've heard reports of difficult springs - usually shells get a bit too hard to load. Most guys will cut off one coil at a time until they get a tension they can live with while still functioning properly.

Tags
930 , mossberg , shotgun