The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 18, 2023, 12:07 PM   #1
44caliberkid

1858 Remington Kit Gun

My wife found this “in the white” 1858 Remington New Model Army in our attic. Probably something that came home with me from an auction years ago. I recall these were sold as you finish it kits back in the day. There is the usual “Black Powder Only Made In Italy” on the right side of the barrel, but no Italian proof marks or a manufacturer ID that I recognize. The word NUOVA is on the bottom of the grip frame. No other markings. It needs a trigger guard, bolt, trigger/ bolt spring, and the related screws. Does anyone know tha manufacturer so I can get the right parts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_0766.jpeg (89.5 KB, 69 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_0767.jpeg (79.4 KB, 67 views)
Old September 18, 2023, 01:24 PM   #2
Pahoo

Nice; Is that all that stamped on the barrel ??

That is the making of a nice kit. What else stamped on the barrel? Look under the loading lever. My suggestin is to contact Dixie Gun Works, for assist. Regardless of the maker, many of these parts were comon to most. Good luck and and kee us posted .....

Be Safe !!!
Old September 18, 2023, 01:43 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I would suggest contacting VTI Gun Parts. They seem to be the go-to source for parts for the Italian black powder revolver clones.

860-435-8068
[email protected]
Jeepaholic
Old September 18, 2023, 03:20 PM   #4
Hawg

A kit gun won't have any proofs. It was most likely made in the late 60's or 70's by Ameria Nuova. You "might" get other makers parts to fit with some work. Just because they use the same design doesn't mean parts will interchange. It is very highly unlikely you will find original parts.
Old September 18, 2023, 04:28 PM   #5
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
A kit gun won't have any proofs. It was most likely made in the late 60's or 70's by Ameria Nuova. You "might" get other makers parts to fit with some work. Just because they use the same design doesn't mean parts will interchange. It is very highly unlikely you will find original parts.
Pretty much what I was thinking. There are no other markings, I looked under the loading lever. I know there are dimensional differences between Uberti, Pietta and Euroarms. I own examples of all three, so might be able to take off parts and compare, find what fits or is close, then buy those parts.
Old September 18, 2023, 07:57 PM   #6
Hellgate

That gun looks exactly like one of my Euroarms Remingtons. It is almost a Beals version with only about 2-3 barrel threads showing at the barrel/frame cutout as opposed to about 6 on the Piettas, ASMs and Uberti 1863 NMAs. Mine is "antiqued" too (not blued). Maybe mine is a kit gun too. They have smaller grips and lighter frames than Piettas & Ubertis. The dovetailed rounded blade front sight is the same as my Euroarms guns. Take out the cylinder pin and look under the barrel where there might be a maker's mark.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old September 19, 2023, 06:07 AM   #7
Hawg

Almost everybody's guns back then were closer to the originals than Pietta and Uberti. Pietta used to be closer than they are now. They had nice slim grips and a much shorter front sight. There's a lot more to it than barrel threads that makes one a Beals.