The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old September 11, 2006, 11:52 AM   #1
Hoverboy26

Boght an EMF Hartford 1892 Replica, .357 Mag Lever Action-Anyone seen these?

I was at the Gun Show here in Phoenix over the weekend, and wanted to get a nice .357 lever action rifle. My dad has one of these, and I have wanted one just like his since I was a kid. I searched high and low, but only found an old beat up Winchester, and the guy wanted too much money for it.

Then I found a gentleman that was selling brand new EMF replica rifles. He had one .357 magnum left, blued with the Octagon barrel, 24". It felt great in my hands, and looked to be built well. I bought it, and will get it out to the range on Saturday. Check this link, mine is the 6th one down from the top in the picture.

http://www.emf-company.com/1892-winc...le-carbine.htm

Does anyone else have one of these? How do you like it/how does it shoot? Thanks!

-RC
Old September 11, 2006, 11:58 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

First I've heard of them.

Prices certainly don't look bad.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 11, 2006, 12:01 PM   #3
Hoverboy26

That's exacly why I bought it, the price was great. I got it for $375.00, new in the box. I loved to shoot my dad's Winchester, and this rifle feels a little better, seems a little heavier, and more solid. I've got a .357 Mag Ruger revolver, so i can use the same ammo through both of them.

-RC
Old September 11, 2006, 12:14 PM   #4
Scorch

EMF has been selling replica 92s for a few years. Typically fairly well made. It's hard to screw up a Browning design.
Old September 11, 2006, 12:45 PM   #5
vpjack

I have 2 of the 92 replicas. Both are solid reliable guns that see a lot of use in cowboy shooting. They are also fairly good woods guns in 357. With the proper ammo they get real close to 30-30 ballistics. The EMF is made in Brazil by Rossi, as are almost all of the 92 replicas. The nice thing about the EMF version is it does not have the saftey lever on the top of the bolt like the ones imported under Rossi's Puma brand. You got a good gun at a good price, enjoy.

Jack
Old September 11, 2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Hoverboy26

Thanks for the info, vpjack! What load to you recommend for hunting? I just use the 158 gr. JHP in my revolver.

I plan to use this rifle for coyotes mostly, and just for fun shooting outdoors.

-RC
Old September 11, 2006, 01:43 PM   #7
FirstFreedom

My understanding is that Rossi makes all the 92 replicas for EMF, Navy Arms, and Legacy Sports (Puma). The EMF and Navy ones don't have the silly flimsy safety like the Legacy ones. And they're more geared to CAS shooters.
Old September 12, 2006, 09:38 AM   #8
vpjack

Hoverboy, for hunting you can use any of the ammo that you would use out of your hand gun to hunt with. However to get the most from the rifle you should hand load. My loading books list 357 RIFLE ONLY rounds that drive a 158gn bullet at 1700fps and 180gn at 1450fps. These are more than enough energy for deer size game at ranges to 100 yds. These loads are not available from the manufactorers(sp) due to liability. Some fool would try to use them in an alloy pistol and end up with a stump where his hand use to be. Good luck with the 92 they are fun guns to shoot.

Jack
Old September 12, 2006, 05:18 PM   #9
USMCGrunt

The wife has one she uses for SASS shoots. It works well with .357 Magnum but it can be fickle with the shorter .38 Special rounds. I cast some longer 148 grain slugs for that and it works well but as far as factory fodder goes, we stick with .357 Magnums.
Old September 12, 2006, 08:42 PM   #10
gak

EMF now has safety

VpJack and First Freedom have it partially right. Unfortunately, as of Spring '06 the Rossi import-lawyer bug has finally bit EMF too - after being a stalwart holdout - and all new production is with the silly/flimsy "Legacy/ Puma" lever safety atop the receiver. A very few are still NIB available out there w/o the safety. I cannot speak for Navy Arms. I have had several EMF (and older Interarms-era Rossi-branded) 92s and they've all been excellent. Some out of the box have better actions than others, but those that are a little stiff (after a bit of firing to naturally loosen them up first) slick up great with an action job. Bottom line. Enjoy the EMF - Rossi 92s in all forms are very nice guns, but the non-safety ones are gems.
Old September 12, 2006, 11:25 PM   #11
Gewehr98

I was going to ask about that superfluous safety...

But I also understand there is a gunsmith or two who have been doing quite a business removing them and cleaning up the receiver profiles afterwards.

Neural Misfires
Old September 13, 2006, 12:00 AM   #12
gak

Gewehr98 - I have heard the same. A worthwhile improvement for anyone so burdened.
Old September 13, 2006, 03:12 AM   #13
Gewehr98

Just had to look, because I still want a Model 92 in .44 Special someday...

Here's one levergun smith:

http://stevesgunz.com/ServiceSG.htm

Neural Misfires
Old September 13, 2006, 11:23 AM   #14
vpjack

Have to agree about stevesguns. Steve is acknowledged master of slicking up a 92, and a great guy to deal with. I have one of his race ready guns and will soon be sending him the other one for him to do his magic on. If yours in new, after he gets done with it you will think you have a diffrent gun.

jack
Old September 13, 2006, 12:24 PM   #15
Hoverboy26

Thank again, vpjack. I am not a reloader, and don't know anyone trustworthy who reloads. But, those hot .357 rounds sound good! I have mt CCW course tomorrow, so I will get out Saturday, and put some rounds through it.

FYI.......mine has the silly little saftey on it. :barf:

-RC
Old September 14, 2006, 08:24 AM   #16
gak

Hoverboy, still a very nice gun...but run, don't walk, to Steve's (or someone) for their "improvement" regarding that safety!
Old September 15, 2006, 11:58 AM   #17
Dave Markowitz

I have one of the EMF 1892 Hartfrod Model Short Rifles (20" octagon barrel) in .357. It's made by Rossi. I like it a lot -- next to no recoil, slick action, and accurate.

Mine had insufficient extractor tension so I was having some extraction difficulties. I emailed EMF and they had me send it to a 'smith who does warranty work for them, and I got it back in about 10 days. When I got it back the problem was fixed; it extracts and ejects empties with aplomb.

It feeds .38s OK but I generally put .357s in it. With .38s it's like shooting a .22, both recoil-wise and noise-wise.
Old September 15, 2006, 01:10 PM   #18
Hoverboy26

UPDATE-

I went out to the range yesterday and put some 357 ammo through this bad boy. I love it! The action is definitely a little notchy, but it loosened up a little after about 50 rounds. I wanted to put some shots on paper, so I started at 50 yards. What accuracy! the 1st 10 rounds were in a 2" group. I moved my target out to 100 yards, and my best 10 shot group was 2 1/2-3 inches!
If the action doesn't loosen up after a couple hundred rounds, I will definitely look into getting some work done on it. The recoil is next to nothing with the Speer Gold Dot 158 gr HP rounds I was using, with a pretty quiet report. I was shooting my Ruger revolvers, too, and they make pretty good noise with the same ammo.
I don't know why, but I have always loved .357's, this is a keeper!
Old September 15, 2006, 09:25 PM   #19
gak

I have the EMF 92 carbine (20" round barrel) variation of the same...and even with the shorter and lighter barrel it's a pussycat--just shoulder pop to let you know it's no pipsqueak round. I also have the same in an EMF .44 Mag (carbine), and while you definitely notice the difference over the .357, despite what some have said about comparisons to .30-30, to me that must be a "paper exercise" 'cause it too is a pussycat relatively speaking (i.e., ain't no .30-30 in the bang and shove department).