The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 11, 2000, 04:37 AM   #1
Oldspeed

I am lucky to own two of these fine pistols.They were state of the art when they were imported. Many years ago I ordered a GB muzzle brake from the distributor of Steyr. It was on order for over 6 months and they sent me a letter stating the Austrian Shilling had gone up and the price of the piece was something like $192. The brake replaced the front cap of the pistol and was a drop in part. I went ahead and got it anyway. I had read that the Austrian Shooting Team used them back then and that they improved the already fine accuracy of the pistol. I don't think that too many of these muzzle brakes were imported and have never seen another. I have never installed it and have never fired either GB. They are sure nice to look at though.
How rare is the Steyr GB Muzzle Brake unit?
Thanks
Old February 11, 2000, 09:25 AM   #2
Greg G

Oldspeed,
When you find out what it is worth now, and if you happen to get tired of it, e-mail me and maybe we can work out a deal on that muzzle break.
Old February 11, 2000, 11:09 AM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

With or without the brake, the GB is very desireable, going for over $1000. The brake should be icing on the cake. I have never seen one and would consider them very rare.

Actually, the GBs were not considered very good pistols, requiring far too much care and cleaning, as do the current generation of gas retarded blowbacks.

There was a copy (of an earlier GB version) made in this country called the Rogak. It had all the Steyr problems and then some. Many would not even fire, and they were universally considered cr-p.

Jim
Old October 6, 2002, 05:03 AM   #4
Austrian

Rogak???

Hi all!
As an Austrian and proud owner of a Steyr GB with brake I have to state that the rogak has really not much to do with the near to perfect Steyr. The connection between both companies seems to be a thrilling story, but the drilling story, the tolerances of actual work on the guns, is really a sad one! Shoot and compare!
Old October 7, 2002, 11:11 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Austrian,

I happened to look in again at this old thread and noticed your reply. I didn't mean to imply that the Rogak was the equal of the GB, and I can't make a comparison test because 1) I don't have a GB, and 2) the Rogak will not fire and never would.

But the GB does have to be carefully cleaned, much more so than the usual 9mm, plus it is rather large and clumsy. Austria did better with the Glock.

Jim
Old February 5, 2009, 03:56 AM   #6
Al Lowe

Wow, what an old thread.

I recently picked up a Steyr GB from a local pawn shop. Everything I've read about it, from people who have and do own them, is they are fantastic pistols, generally speaking. No one has said they require more detailed cleaning than any other pistol. And I've found mine field strips fairly easily. As to size, it's not much bigger than my Taurus PT92. And recoil is very mild. Accuracy is excellent.

I wish I'd picked one up when they first came out, over 20 years ago.
Old February 5, 2009, 01:40 PM   #7
RJay

And when you go to locate a replacement part, well, you will have a new hobbie, trying to find it.
Old September 11, 2009, 09:09 AM   #8
Skans

I know that this is an old thread. But, I'd really like to see a picture of the muzzle brake that was made for the Steyr GB - anyone out there have one of these? Or, perhaps a threaded barrel to fit the GB that they don't want anymore?

Someone really should start making these guns again. The patent's expired!! I'd buy another one if Steyr would just make the identical gun and sell it for a reasonable price...with accessories.
Old November 28, 2009, 07:54 PM   #9
stellite

I nearly bought one of those when I bought my steyr GB new. It was my first gun that I purchased with my own money and I still have it to this day. I love it. Also the BS about feeding issues by someone who doesn't even own one is not true at all. I have shot a couple of thousand rounds through it with no issue at all. Fixed barrel makes for incredible accuracy. Don't use leaded bullets or you will foul the ports, but other than that shoot away.