The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 24, 2005, 06:36 PM   #1
rnovi

.357 hunting loads and the Hornady 180 XTP

gun in question: 6" Ruger GP100.

I am going to start looking up some heavy .357 loads for some deer hunting, etc. Mind you, this is hunting in So. Cal. which means my chances of finding a deer at any time of the year are miniscule at best. So part of this effort is largely for giggles. Preparation must occur nonetheless.

I am looking at the Hornady 180gr. XTP. My question is: it has TWO canelures, which I presume will allow for greater case capacity when loaded in the lower canelure...is this the case? Will I be able to use the lower canelure with the the GP100?

I have the bullets on order (darn local dealers just don't stock much of anything anymore...) and am looking for any advice that can be offered here.

As an aside, I am considering this for Deer out to 75 yards and perhaps some Catelina Hog hunting. I know for hog penetration is king and that .357 is considered marginal by many for Hog (for that matter I might just go 12 guage slugging instead). Is the 180 XTP overkill for deer? Would I be better suited with a 158gr.?

In terms of wild pig & hog, a .357 is what I have. I know a 44mag is a better choice, but I am also a believer that one works with what one has.

Bottom line, what do I need to know about the .357 when it comes to deer? Any recommendations on loads & bullet Weight?

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old September 24, 2005, 08:37 PM   #2
adobewalls

Better check your cylinder.

On some of these longer bullets, the second canelure is there, like you say to increase the case capacity - but for loading into single shots like the contender and .357 rifles. So, check the overall dimensons and if it looks close - load up a dummy to see if you can load it into your cylinder, and if so will the cylinder turn.

Second, back a more than a few years ago the gun writers were all enthusiastic over the .357 for deer, especially when using the 8-3/8" barrels and the newly introduced 180 grain bullets. Current thinking is less than enthusiastic, with most "experts" saying the .357 is too small. My take is that if you are a good shot, patient to wait for a good presentation by the quarry and you can take out both lungs, the .357 should work. That XTP bullet will do its part, if you do yours. I prefer the 158 gr. XTP and a top end load of W296 or H110, but I still load the heavy weights also. My limit on range would be 75yards, but a 50 yard shot would be preferred.

On pigs, gee its all about the size you are going after and the shot you can make on one. Pigs that get above 200 pounds are tough critters that can soak up a lot of energy from a bullet and keep on going without leaving a blood trail - they will die, but it will be a few days later and maybe miles from where you shot them. I have not shot one with a pistol yet but have shot 200 to 400 pounders with rifles and I have lost a few that I shot going for the traditional "inch-behind-the-shoulder" aim. Now I make it a habit to aim just below the ear hole or the neck and use a .308 or 7 mag.

If I were to use a .357, I think, regardless of pig size, I would try to keep it a head shot - no use having to try and track one on their terms.
Old September 24, 2005, 10:33 PM   #3
HSMITH

Measure your cylinder and make a dummy round. IIRC the GP is a short cylinder gun, meaning it will only take about 1.6" OAL.

With a good load I wouldn't hesitate to use the 357 on a hog or a deer, just know well what your limits are.

Pick up a can of Lil Gun and have at it.
Old September 25, 2005, 09:12 AM   #4
Long Path

From the hunter's angle: No, the 180 is in NO WAY overkill for deer. Realize that there are a lot of us that carry 180g loads in .30-06 or .308 for deer, at around 2600 fps or better. Somehow I doubt that you'll get your .357 to get within a thousand feet per second of that. I think that a stout 180g handload, carefully loaded, is a GREAT way to go handgun hunting for deer and hog, so long as the hunter is sensible in taking his shots. (Let's start by reducing that 75 yard range to 40.)

I agree about the cylinder length dictating your seating depth. What powder are you looking at using? The burn rate and size of the charge will also determine how deep you need to seat it.
Old September 25, 2005, 10:02 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

some actual

I have a considerable body of data; contact direct [email protected]

I have sixteen handguns; why are four chambered in 357?
Old September 27, 2005, 09:18 PM   #6
Ben Shepherd

The 180 XTP WILL NOT fit in a gp100 when seated to the rear groove.

Trust me, my bro-in-law tried one of the long seated barn burners I build for my redhawk in his gp100. The slug hung out the front of the cylinder about the difference in the distace between the crimp grooves.

Talk to 'ol WS2 there, he'll get you squared around, he like making heavy bullets go fast in rugers.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor