The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 20, 2010, 07:53 AM   #1
exphys2010

NEF Pardner Pump 12ga

I was thinking about buying a second 12ga pump for when some of my non-shotgun owning friends go skeet shooting with me. I saw the NEF Pardner pump 12ga with a black synthetic stock at Walmart for $159. I have noticed and heard that they are built and function very similarly to a Remington 870. Does anyone have an opinion on whether or not this is a decent buy, or should I pass it up and go with something else? I was just interested because of the price tag.

I have a 12 ga Mossberg 500 (which is my favorite), and a Maverick 88. Both have functioned flawlessly, but I don't see what it hurts to have a little variety, and you can't have too many shotguns The only problem is that I have my Maverick modified for HD (pistol grip and 18.5" barrel). Thanks for the responses!
Old September 20, 2010, 08:07 AM   #2
jmortimer

The Pardner pump is an 870 clone - all parts interchange except barrrel. It is an excellent shotgun worth every penny. The only complaint I have seen is that it is made in China but the quality is there. Owners love their Pardners. Non-owners complain about the fact that it is made in China but Remington/Marlin/H&R are doing us all a favor by importing the Pardners. You will find that it is every bit as good as your Mossberg 500.
Here are nine owner reviews from Law Enforcement Officers at Police Link and their great reviews are common http://policelink.monster.com/produc...pump-protector
This is the most detailed review I have seen from Gunco.net which will make some people upset as facts are difficult things when you want a different reality http://www.gunco.net/forums/f108/rem...-review-49402/
I love my Pardner Protector and want to get another.

Last edited by jmortimer; September 20, 2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old September 20, 2010, 08:19 AM   #3
exphys2010

Thanks for the advice! I had heard some good things about it, but I just wanted a few more opinions just in case. I am definitely a supporter of purchasing American made products, but I am not opposed to something just because it is not. My Maverick 88 is my HD shotgun, and I trust my life to it, yet it is made with parts from Mexico. I guess I will have to pick up a Pardner Pump then.

By the way, does anyone know if extra barrels, such as a 20 or 18.5" barrel can be purchased for these?
Old September 20, 2010, 08:25 AM   #4
jmortimer

You have to get them from H&R but for the same $$$ a whole new Pardner Pump is about the same as a new barrel for a Mossberg 500 or Remington 870.
Old September 24, 2010, 05:54 AM   #5
rab

Love It!

I got one from W-Mart a while ago just for home-d. I was pleasantly suprised. Am spending more time than I with my AR. I was just supposed to get some b-shot for h-d. I'm gonna test two more brands of slugs this weekend(Just in case I decide to chase deer). Not that I'm really gonna do that...... last thing was a BSA red-dot. It sits right on the recvr. Just got it it's own case yesterday. Cheap gun, cheap case, cheap ammo, cheap add-ons = lots of fun!!!! Hope my AR don't get jealous..
Old September 24, 2010, 08:27 AM   #6
jmortimer

For me, there is nothing like a shotgun.