The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 15, 2009, 12:32 PM   #1
newguy07

How many reloads per brass?

About how many times can you safely reload brass? I am reloading .38s and .40s with very light loads (below starting loads typically). So how many times do you think they can be safely loaded?

We also have some brass that is once shot from glocks at the police range. Does coming out of a glock affect the amount of times you can reload?
Old September 15, 2009, 12:34 PM   #2
GeauxTide

38's/357 gives me about 8 light loads before trimming because of the stress of crimping. Yes, even with light loads, crimp.
Old September 15, 2009, 12:39 PM   #3
zxcvbob

Quote:
About how many times can you safely reload brass? I am reloading .38s and .40s with very light loads (below starting loads typically). So how many times do you think they can be safely loaded?
I keep reloading revolver brass and 9mm until either I lose it or it fails (case mouth cracks or the primer pockets get loose) Even a complete case head separation is not a big deal in a revolver -- as long as it doesn't happen at a critical time. (use good brass for your defense loads)

Quote:
We also have some brass that is once shot from glocks at the police range. Does coming out of a glock affect the amount of times you can reload?
Yes, it can. It depends how much the brass gets distorted over the feed ramp, and how much support the case gets on *your* gun. I don't reload .40, so I can't really be more specific.
Old September 15, 2009, 12:46 PM   #4
margiesex

Load em...

Hello:

I load 'ems until I see issues with them.

I have noticed no problem with post-Glock brass.

Easily 7-9 times with light loads.

Take care of your brass, and it will take care of you!

God bless.

Margiesex

And remember: Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both and soon!
Old September 15, 2009, 12:57 PM   #5
newguy07

We currently have no been trimming the brass. Do we need to if we are only going to load then 4-5 times? As far as my guns for the 40 they are being shot out of a taurus 24/7 and a SW M&P.

If the brass needs trimmed, where can I buy one for cheap?

Also does brass really need cleaned/tumbled or is it just for looks?
Old September 15, 2009, 01:03 PM   #6
DiscoRacing

i dont trim that brass either.... load aprox. 8-10 times.... dont polish either.... you dont need to polish long as you are not using case lube on them to size...
Old September 15, 2009, 02:30 PM   #7
DWARREN123

Cleaning the brass is for the reloading tooling more than anything else, also easy for inspecting the brass and makes them look better.
I reload 40 S&W and have not had one case go bad on me yet. I have picked up some at the range that had split case mouths.
I do not trim and have had no need to and all my reloads are warm to hot. I have reloaded many Glock fired brass cases and not had a problem with them either.
Just inspect at each and every step of the reloading process to make sure nothing bad sneaks by.
Old September 15, 2009, 03:33 PM   #8
Nowhere Man

Until it cracks.

Dave
Old September 15, 2009, 05:20 PM   #9
BigJimP

Load it until it cracks / or shows a problem. I think you'll find you can get 15 - 25 loads out of a piece of brass as long as you don't get them too hot.

I don't trim handgun calibers....
Old September 15, 2009, 07:09 PM   #10
shooter_from_show-me

Thanks for all the info guy's!!! I have been wonder this myself.

NRA Life Member
Old September 16, 2009, 01:11 AM   #11
ballardw

An article on this from a very early Handloader's Digest had one author stop counting at 30 times for a batch of 30-06 brass. He didn't mention whether they were hot or light loads, whether he annealed or any details but it does show that with care your brass will last a long time.

I have some 25-20 brass that the primer pockets have worn out and won't hold primers but I have no idea how many times they've been loaded as they started with my grandpa.
Old September 16, 2009, 08:29 AM   #12
QBall45

How many times?

This sounds funny...till ya lose em or they fail.

Funny as that sounds, its about the truth.

I've seen pics others have posted that were loaded so many times that the head stamp was worn off...l think that translates to more times than ya want/need to count.

If your loading low/mid range target loads you should be able to load em about forever.

I've read similar threads were guys have been loading the same bucket of brass for 20+ years without issue.

I stopped counting the # of times I reload my brass for a couple reasons. 1. it doesn't appear to matter. 2. I'm not a comp bullseye type shooter. 3. I lose em before they fail. 4. I truly don't care how many times I load a perticular case.

For me, my concern about brass is simply this: do I have brass on hand that's preped and ready to load?

Good luck & happy loading. Remember to take someone new with you to the range.
Old September 16, 2009, 09:31 AM   #13
Bart B.

Some folks shooting high power match rifles with SAAMI chambers for the .308 Win. have won matches and set records with cases reloaded over 40 times. I know folks who've got over 70. And all with full length sized cases, but not with expander balls. They use a bushing die or lap the regular die's neck out to a couple thousandths smaller than loaded round neck diameter.

Cases so sized have shot 10-shot test groups at 600 yards smaller than benchrest records.
Old September 16, 2009, 04:39 PM   #14
Christchild

Light loads are good. I use 'em all the time, and favor them not only because I've gotten better accuracy, but they're much easier on Your barrel.

But, in using light loads, don't use loads TOO far below minimum listed powder charges. You could possibly get a pressure spike and do Yourself and Your gun, damage. This is strange to me, and I KIND OF understand why overly-low powder charges do that, but I'd be lying if I said I knew why. But despite my limited understanding on that subject, it IS a reality.
Old September 16, 2009, 07:58 PM   #15
A/C Guy

If you anneal your cases, they can be reloaded 40 or 50 times.
Brass has the ability to be reworked many times when properly annealed. Most old timers that anneal, say they lose a case before they wear them out from too many reloads.
Old September 16, 2009, 09:00 PM   #16
csmsss

Quote:
But, in using light loads, don't use loads TOO far below minimum listed powder charges. You could possibly get a pressure spike and do Yourself and Your gun, damage. This is strange to me, and I KIND OF understand why overly-low powder charges do that, but I'd be lying if I said I knew why. But despite my limited understanding on that subject, it IS a reality.
I'd be far more concerned about ultra-light loads leaving squibs behind in the barrel than the much-discussed and little-documented phenomenon you're describing.
Old September 16, 2009, 11:19 PM   #17
Christchild

What do You mean, Squibs?
Old September 16, 2009, 11:30 PM   #18
zxcvbob

Quote:
What do You mean, Squibs?
The round goes "POP!" instead of "BANG!" and the bullet may not exit the barrel. If you are paying attention, you stop and have to deal with a bullet lodged in the barrel. If you're not paying attention, you fire another round behind it and the gun blows up because of the obstruction -- or at the very least, it bulges the barrel.
Old September 17, 2009, 01:01 AM   #19
KBerry

pressure spikes

Those pressure spikes have been duplicated and recorded some 35 years ago.

The danger is with slow burning powders like 4350 and 4831. It doesn't happen every time and is more likely with some bullet and powder combinations.

A good friend did it with a light load of 4831 and 100 grain bullets in a .243. I believe he fired a number of them on different days before one let go. Unfortunately he was shooting off the bench and his left hand was holding the Savage 110 near the end of the receiver. What used to be his thumb was over one of those nice big gas ports. The action held well and he would have been completely unhurt when it blew if he'd kept his hand well away from the ports.

KB

"Grizzly bear, good bear, Mike. You shoot him, he come toward you! Not like black bear, go run in the bushes where you gotta go after him!
Grizzly bear he always come toward you!"
Vincent Johnny - BC guide
Old September 17, 2009, 06:05 AM   #20
jmorris

I have some 45 gap brass that I have been using in one of my 625 revolvers this past season that has 15 matches plus practice sessions on it. Being a moon clip revolver you get every piece back so it’s a pretty good test. My load is around 175pf and using a 230grain along with vv310 so it’s pretty high pressure around 20 of 250 have split so far.

I have never trimmed or annealed anything other than bottle neck cartridges.