The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 28, 2017, 12:29 PM   #1
GWV

New brass

Is it advisable to full length resize brand new rifle brass prior to loading ?
Old July 28, 2017, 12:33 PM   #2
ShootistPRS

To fully resize brass depends on your chamber dimensions and your preference of brass. Most new brass is already sized to minimum dimensions but sizing will make the necks more uniform.
I always resize new brass but I know other who don't. Purely a matter of how OCD you happen to be.
Old July 28, 2017, 01:37 PM   #3
jhansman

For my target rifle (.223), I use Lapua brass and do not do a full resize out of the box; instead I fire-form it and neck size from then on. None of this brass has yet to exceed the OAL spec after several firings, and produces excellent results. If it ever gets to the point where it won't chamber easily, I may start over with it, but likely as not I'll just get a new batch. For my AK, if I keep any of the LC brass I use (it dents up coming out of that rifle), then it gets the full treatment (full resize, trim, ream, etc.).
Old July 28, 2017, 02:13 PM   #4
Dufus

I have never resized new brass. I load 'em up and shoot them then size them to the rifle's chamber that they will be used in.
Old July 28, 2017, 02:22 PM   #5
jpx2rk

I suggest you try the new brass in the rifle(s) you intend to shoot it in and see if it chambers in those chambers to your satisfaction. If it does, just your normal brass prep procedures are needed. If some cartridges don't chamber easily, then you need to determine what needs to be done.
Old July 28, 2017, 03:07 PM   #6
F. Guffey

Quote:
New brass
I suggest the reloader establish good habits. Measuring new brass is a good habit. I have a chamber that is .016" longer than a minimum length full length sized (new) case. I know, most believe that is too much head space but I am the lucky one, my cases do not have head space and when I pull the trigger on that rifle the shoulder of the case does not move; again, that makes me a lucky reloader again.

Manufacturers do not make cases for reloaders that know what they are doing
,if they did they would make cases for my long chamber, I manage, for that chamber I use 280 Remington cases, the 280 Remington case is .041" too long from the shoulder to the cases head so I erase the shoulder on the 280 and form a new one .014" ahead of the 30/06 shoulder, for those doing the math that gives me the magic .002" clearance. This method/technique is soo much easier than trying to bump/move the shoulder back.

F. Guffey
Old July 28, 2017, 04:56 PM   #7
jonnefudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Guffey View Post
establish good habits.
Very important and very well said. Also it will make ammo more accurate if you are cutting mm of groups.
Old July 28, 2017, 05:42 PM   #8
reinert

Whenever I break into a batch of new brass, no matter what caliber, I always run them through the proper F.L. sizing die. Then, I measure each one for proper length and trim if necessary. It's just what I do, and it's just a habit I got into long ago. With that, I'm not a high volume shooter, either.

I just prepped (F.L. sized) 10 brand new pieces of Lapua 30-06 brass a few days ago, and you could still "feel" the case being worked a little. The case length was dead-on after the sizing of each of those 10; no trim needed.

Cases most always come jumbled in a bag when purchased (same with the batch of Lapuas I have) so I like to run them through the sizer to true up any deformed case mouths. Again, it's just what I do, and it works for me.
Old July 28, 2017, 06:40 PM   #9
jmr40

Years ago it was standard practice. Most people find that it isn't necessary anymore. I used to do it, but stopped years ago. Never had an issue.

Winston Churchill
Old July 29, 2017, 06:42 AM   #10
std7mag

I have recently gotten Norma 284 Win brass.

I first full length sized, then trimmed( they were all long), camfered, deburred, uniformed/deburred flash hole then uniformed primer pockets.

Aside from trimming, camfer/deburr it's a 1 time operation.
And i know it will chamber fine.
Old July 29, 2017, 09:13 AM   #11
Don Fischer

With new unfired brass the only one's I run into a FL die are those with a dented neck. Then only enough to true up the neck.
Old July 29, 2017, 09:31 AM   #12
hounddawg

as with most topics on this forum it depends on what discipline you are shooting. What is overkill for the three gun or plinker is SOP for the BR and long range shooters. If you want to spend hours case prepping like the BR and LR guys do then feel free to be as OCD as you want.

I just measured 10 Lapua and 10 Hornady brass straight from the box/bag and they were all within SAAMI specs both at the datum and COL. Before loading I will do a full length resize then trim and chamfer/deburr. Is it necessary? Not at all, it is just how I do things
Old July 29, 2017, 10:14 AM   #13
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Just sayin. I think its best to let new brass fire form than purposely FL die resize. Unless the firearm is semi auto_pump or one having a tight undersized chamber. All are likely too operate flawlessly when such brass is Small Base resized from their get go reloading of.
Old July 29, 2017, 11:27 AM   #14
mikld

I size new brass. I want to know, exactly, what I'm working with. I know for sure what my sized brass s and if I choose to neck size only, then I'll do that, but new brass is F/L sized measured and trimmed if necessary and I know my starting point, no guessing...
Old July 31, 2017, 11:44 AM   #15
GeauxTide

Quote:
I have never resized new brass. I load 'em up and shoot them then size them to the rifle's chamber that they will be used in.
Has been my practice for more than 40 years; however, I do drop on or two in the chamber to see if they'll chamber and eject. If the case mouths are not round (eyeball test), I'll run them through the expander with graphite lube.
Old July 31, 2017, 05:40 PM   #16
hooligan1

New brass is seldom percect, so I run them through and get them to the length I gotta have for my chamber and bullet hold.
Old July 31, 2017, 06:04 PM   #17
RC20

If it chambers we are good.

I may chamfer the lip if its square.

I then measure it after its fired and bump it back accordingly.
Old July 31, 2017, 10:13 PM   #18
Stats Shooter

Quote:

Quote:
F, Guffy
I suggest the reloader establish good habits. Measuring new brass is a good habit. I have a chamber that is .016" longer than a minimum length full length sized (new) case.
0.015-0.020" growth is Standard in the .300 wm , Almost any .300wm for that matter.

I don't shoot new brass in my 1k yard competition rifle for actual competition. I shoot new brass in one of my older .300wm rifles, then size it down to 0.0015" clearance with a body die, then anneal, then neck size. Most guys on the line don't use new brass in competition either, and don't waste barrel life fire forming brass.

Fl sizing it is a complete waste of time in New brass. Even in my "tight" chamber rifles, new brass chambers fine. It pays to run them through a neck die, Especially stuff packed in bags as necks can get out of round.

But FL sizing new brass,that will chamber, makes no sense unless you are doing it because you don't have a neck die.

Always check the length.
Always inspect the neck to for irregularities.
Always inspect the flash hole and primer pocket
Always make sure it is the correct headstamp
Chamber a few to make sure they chamber

But fl sizing for "accuracy enhancement" is a waste of time.... because, again, in the disciplines where brass prep is meticulous, new brass is rarely used in competition. And in disciplines where is doesn't matter as much, then there is no reason to do it in the first place.