The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 25, 2011, 08:39 PM   #51
Jason_G

Even with $100 off, it's still the price of a whole 'nother rifle. And I'm not sure if you could shave enough $$ off of it to make it look any better to me. As much as I like some of the ideas that went into it, especially the mechanical bedding, and free floated barrel, I think it just ain't for me. Of course, I like wood and iron sights, so what do I know? Hope you enjoy it at any rate.

Jason
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." -Amendment II, Constitution of the United States of America
Old October 2, 2011, 08:57 AM   #52
Famas

It's a very interesting proposal...how much does something like this cost, or is it only in experimental stages still? It does resemble my old service rifle in many ways, as you may have guessed from my user name. I distinctly remember in 1995 being in Metkovic with German soldiers during a joint live fire exercise, during which we played with Famas and Styers all day long. An interesting conversation came up about what if these rifles were enlarged and used 7.62 NATO instead of 5.56?

I'm curious to know what ejection was like on your Rogue M-14. Our Famas never was bad, but ejection was always irregular and almost never consistent. Expended cases went everywhere, occasionally they hit us too.
Old October 11, 2011, 07:28 PM   #53
SR420

BULLPUP SHOOT 2011

Old October 11, 2011, 07:32 PM   #54
SR420

Rogue Ejection Pattern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UioP2EtnYds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_bZv...watch_response
Old November 1, 2011, 09:56 AM   #55
SR420

Old November 16, 2011, 08:48 AM   #56
SR420

Continued @ M14 Bullpup ~ The evolution continues
Old November 19, 2011, 06:10 AM   #57
SR420

Now on Facebook
Old February 22, 2012, 07:23 PM   #58
BrokenSailor

Another Rogue Shooter

I have been shooting a Rogue for a little bit now and it is very nice. I didn't even notice the brass shooting out by my face. Zero concern. It was very consistent.

It is free floated, using different internals for std, medium, and HW barrels. There is no difference in accuracy; It still shoots better than I. It is very balanced, and I like it much more than the Troy chassis, which, is a bit fore end heavy.

I don't know how you can look at a picture of the Rogue and say that it has a crappy trigger compared to the Short Rifle Bullpup. The trigger pull is nice and smooth. I checked the pull before and after the build and the new trigger added a pound. The SRS bullpup isn't even around for anyone to shoot to compare triggers, let alone buy. The thing is a phantom chassis. All I have ever seen were pictures. A lot of these manufactures of new chassis take deposits and than you wait and wait, then hope you can get your money back when they don't deliver. Word is that he owes money to his suppliers. It has been about a year wait for me so far. I had my Rogue in a couple days.

The left side charging handle is a very nice feature although I have not gotten used to it yet. Mag changes are nice and easy. Still gotta rock em, and a foregrip helps manhandle the weapon as it is pretty short. With 15 inches of top rail, you can mount anything you want.

If you don't want to pay the price, I can understand. The price of this stock is the same as all of the others out there. Considering this one comes with the stock and grip it is a pretty nice price. My Troy cost me more to build. The Rogue cost me less then the J Allen. The best part is that you don't have to buy an expensive or heavy scope mount for your M1a/M14. I paid $300 for my steel SEI mount.
Old February 23, 2012, 07:19 AM   #59
SR420

BrokenSailor, welcome back to The Firing Line!

The left side charging handle does take some getting used to for some.
I like it most when I'm firing sub sonic through my sound suppressor
and consider it a must have item for the bullpup conversion.

What barrel are you running in your Rogue and what optics?

Last edited by SR420; February 23, 2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old February 24, 2012, 12:26 PM   #60
SR420

Quote:
BrokenSailor

I have been shooting a Rogue for a little bit now and it is very nice. I didn't even notice the brass shooting out by my face. Zero concern. It was very consistent.

The left side charging handle is a very nice feature although I have not gotten used to it yet. Mag changes are nice and easy.
Still gotta rock em, and a foregrip helps manhandle the weapon as it is pretty short. With 15 inches of top rail, you can mount anything you want.

The left side charging handle does take some getting used to for some.
I like it most when I'm firing sub sonic through my sound suppressor
and consider it a must have item for the bullpup conversion.

What barrel are you running in your Rogue and what optics?
Old March 8, 2012, 07:55 AM   #61
SR420

I've been asked about weight more than once...
The basic kit weighs just over 6 pounds... that's before you install a barreled action and minimal accessories.
A complete Scout barreled action weighs just under 6 pounds... a naked Rogue will weigh 12 pounds and it only gets heavier.

If you are considering buying a Rogue there are a few things you should know about it.

1. It's heavy... it's heavier than any of my SAGE EBRs and TROY MCS that I've owned.

2. The Rogue trigger uses a steel rod to reach back to the rifles trigger, you feel the added linkage and the rod rattles.

3. Mag changes require a 'reach around' technique that is cumbersome and slow.

4. Optics require additional height... I used a riser and a set of tall rings to get proper scope alignment.

5. Unlike the SAGE EBR, the Rogue chassis is not designed to enhance your rifles accuracy.

6. The Rogue conversion kit is expensive, expect to spend around $1k to get a basic kit.

Bottom line:

The Rogue is probably the best conversion kit currently available, but it could be better... it could be a lot lighter.

You can see what I did @ H2O's Rogue Modifications & Upgrades and on my facebook page @ H2O's Rogue M14

The initial ‘grin factor’ when you first start using the JTac Rogue is HUGE and it can last a month or more, but it does
fade away and then you are forced to accept the reality that you are stuck with a fat bottomed girl that rides a Moped.

Last edited by SR420; March 8, 2012 at 09:42 AM.

Tags
h2o man , m14 bullpup , m14hdw.us , rogue