The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 8, 2012, 03:38 PM   #1
tobnpr

Cleaning spray lube off a case block?

The Hornady spray lube I use is just a mess all over the case loading block.
I could spend an hour cleaning in all the little holes...

But I was hoping someone here knows of a solvent that will dissolve the lube without softening or harming the plastic block?
Old February 8, 2012, 03:43 PM   #2
Uncle Buck

I put my blocks in the dishwasher. It gets all the crud off of them pretty well and so far none of them have become soft, deformed or brittle.

NOTE: I do this when my wife is not home.
Old February 8, 2012, 06:49 PM   #3
tobnpr

Good idea...

It's probably wax based or something like that- and I'll bet the heat/water dissolves it.
Old February 8, 2012, 06:56 PM   #4
uncyboo

I think rubbing alcohol dissolves alot of those spray lubes, but the dishwasher sounds much easier,
Old February 8, 2012, 07:36 PM   #5
Hog Buster

Don’t spray them in the block. Dump ‘em in a cardboard box, spray ‘em, shake around and spray again. Unless you’re using copious amounts, by the time you’ve sized them most of the lube has rubbed off. No mess.
Old February 8, 2012, 07:59 PM   #6
Blind Dog Jake

I do about the same as Hog Buster but use a plastic grocery bag.
Old February 9, 2012, 04:53 AM   #7
Mike / Tx

IF you have a small drill press and a scrap piece of 1x8 you could build a spray block like I did.

I simply measured off the holes on my loading tray, then used a tri-square to lay out a matching grid on the wood. I then used a 3/16" bit and drilled 50 holes and inserted a 2" piece of 3/16" dowel into them.

I stand up all my cases neck down on the dowels, then spray, allow to dry, and then put the loading block over the bases and flip the whole thing loading all 50 in the block at once.

Works like a charm and I don't have to mess with the lube on my regular block.

Nice thing about it is I can hit all sides easily, and any excess runs down the cases onto the board.
Old February 9, 2012, 09:19 AM   #8
wogpotter

The lube is lanolin. (sheep grease)
I get them in hot water with dish detergent (not in the dish washer), let them soak for 5 minutes or so then agitate vigorously removing & returning to the liquid. Follow with a hot water rinse dunking again & dry on newspaper.

Once in a while I use a commercial degreaser called "I.D. Red" to completely strip the residue.

Pickup factory ammo case holders from the range make good disposable spray trays too.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 9, 2012, 05:03 PM   #9
spclPatrolGroup

Ive put my loading blocks in the dishwasher trying to get the one shot off of them, it didnt really do a very good job, they were still tacky.
Old February 9, 2012, 08:05 PM   #10
m&p45acp10+1

Soak in a tub of hot water with some dish soap, and little shot of Simple Green. Let is soak a few mins as has been said before. Rinse in clear water and let it dry.
Old February 9, 2012, 08:28 PM   #11
tobnpr

Spraying them in a bag will not get lube inside the case mouths.
Won't work for me.

Simple Green sounds like a good idea too...great degreaser.
Old February 11, 2012, 10:16 AM   #12
m&p45acp10+1

I usualy just hand lube my cases with RCBS lube, and I lube inside the case necks with a pipe cleaner. Lubed go in a Super Big Gulp cup. Sized go in a bowl. Once done they go into a sonic cleaner to get the lube off. As for cleaning the bowl I spray a shot of Simple Green in it, then wash in a sink with dish water, and rinse. It works just fine.
Old February 11, 2012, 01:31 PM   #13
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Carburetor cleaner is cheap, just spray till clean and you are done.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 11, 2012, 06:13 PM   #14
m&p45acp10+1

Oldgrump I think he is talking about cleaning off the loading block. If it is a plastic one the carb cleaner can make the plastic brittle after a few times of using it. The Simple Green, and dishwater method will not.
Old February 12, 2012, 10:36 AM   #15
FatWhiteMan

You are supposed to clean the dried spray lube off of your reloading blocks?....interesting.
Old February 12, 2012, 11:32 AM   #16
m&p45acp10+1

I never get lube on my reloading blocks. I do not put lubed cases in them. I put them in a bowl, or a large cup after they are sized, then measure them. I trim them if necessary. I wash the bowl, andcup out when I am done with them.
Old February 12, 2012, 11:33 AM   #17
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Oldgrump I think he is talking about cleaning off the loading block. If it is a plastic one the carb cleaner can make the plastic brittle after a few times of using it. The Simple Green, and dishwater method will not.
Gotcha, so the next question is what kind of plastic? It might still work depending on composition.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 12, 2012, 11:34 AM   #18
TXGunNut

I spray 20-40 cases in an old medium-sized saucepan. Give it a 2 second spray, shake pan, repeat once or twice. It doesn't take much. I sometimes use talc to lube inside case mouths but have had good results polishing the expander ball and treating it with One Shot gun cleaner and dry lube from time to time.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.