The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting > Bullet Casting

Old October 20, 2013, 11:17 AM   #1
skizzums

lee six-cavity

anyone used the lee six cavity mold. they are pretty cheap and i have ALOT of bullets to make. i'm just concerned about the consistency with trying to pour so many at one time. should i ust stick with the double cavity? or are the six cavity's pretty manageable?

thanks guys
Old October 20, 2013, 11:31 AM   #2
Old Stony

I have used one, and found that after getting everything up to casting temp, I had to cut it back some because of the heat of the mold. Pouring that much lead at one time can build more heat, but once you get the hang of it and figure out a good temp, they work good.
Old October 20, 2013, 12:48 PM   #3
A pause for the COZ

Almost all my molds are 4 to 6 cavity now. Once you get their quirks down, never go back to two cavities.
Well unless you really really like casting.
The only LEE two cavities I have left are the ones I cant find a 6 in.
Old October 20, 2013, 04:31 PM   #4
skizzums

cool, thanks. i have only casted with a single since that was the only thing i could find six months ago. i just didn't know how difficult the big 'uns are. and no, i don't REALLY like casting, maybe i enjoy the first 30 minutes or so, but i have 5k in beatiful(actually once fired) brass. i would like to fill it all and have a nice stash of 9mm and not have to mess with it for awhile. i just got into AR's and would like to start loading 223 soon.
Old October 21, 2013, 05:02 AM   #5
Mike / Tx

When it comes in give it a good hot water and comet scrubbing followed by a rinse with some brake cleaner. After that if you have a hotplate warm it up and let it cool a couple of times then wash again. That will clear most of the pores of cutting oil.

When you start to pour just do one cavity for 5-6 pours and then move to the next. This will help warm the blocks up as you go. With a 9 mm mold your going to have to run fairly fast to keep the blocks up to temp. Once you get it down you're gonna love it. Also Don' t sweat smoking the cavities. If it's clean it will pour fine.

Last but certainly not least, be sure to lube the underside of the sprue plate at the corner screw. It is easier to just take the screw out and then you know you got it good.
Old October 21, 2013, 04:36 PM   #6
skizzums

okay, thanks mike. just ordered for a whopping 40$
Old October 21, 2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Old 454

I have a Lee 6 cavity mold for .358 but lets just say its alot to be desired. Its droping bullets in the .361/.362 range. I had to pound them out of my lee .358 sizer with a punch and thats going back to Lee also.

I know the sizer is good because I have a 2 cavity Lee .358 mold that drops really nice bullets, and goes through the sizer very nice.
Old October 21, 2013, 11:42 PM   #8
AlaskanGuy

I have several of the 6 cav molds... Just love them... I kinda wish that all my molds were 6 cav, with the exception of my 375 h&h... That dang thing just uses too much lead and i have a tendency to cast till i drop...lol

The trick to them is getting the mold so it drops nice, and geting the temp correct for both the alloy you are using, and and the mold temp right....
Old October 22, 2013, 01:11 AM   #9
snuffy

Quote:
okay, thanks mike. just ordered for a whopping 40$
You know that mold needs handles, right? They're a separate item for the 6 cavity molds.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 22, 2013, 08:13 AM   #10
CS86

For bigger bullets or steel molds I'd rather use a 2 cav. It gets heavy and my arm gets tired. Also when things aren't up to temp it can be extremely hard to cut the sprue. That's when I take a 2x4 block and beat the plate open. Probably not the best thing for a mold but I get tired of it. One recommendation for when you get the 6 cav; get a hot plate and make sure you get the mold hot enough.
Old October 22, 2013, 09:43 AM   #11
snuffy

busted

Here's what happens if you DON'T pre-heat the 6 cavity lee molds, then try to open the sprue plate.

If you don't have a hot plate, then do as Mike says, cast the cavity closest to the sprue plate pivot bolt first, just that one! Cast it several times, then start casting the second one, progressing back until you're casting all six. There's just too much pressure on that sintered metal cam to shear all those sprues when they're cold.

I sent an email to Lee with that pic as an attachment, they replied, that's enough evidence , we're sending some replacements. I got two new cams in the mail 2 days later.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old October 24, 2013, 07:32 PM   #12
GP100man

Words of experience above for sure !

I`d like to add :make sure the sprue handle is in it`s most closed position ,this allows it to have the most leverage possible when cutting the sprue.

I have 1 cavity HP molds , 2/3 cavity of both rifle & handgun calibers, some of older designs & obsolete designs, & use most for a particular purpose.

But the 1s (calibers of handgun) I have 5&6 cavity molds from Lee & NOE & both WILL make good useable bullets.

The Lee 6 cavitys are a couple of notches better than the ole 2 holers & the NOEs are a few above the Lee 6ers.

The main thing to keepin ya molds in good workin order is to keep em as clean as possible & use a good lube .

BullShop Bull Plate sprue plate lube is unbeatable for this application , some use syn. 2 cycle oil & it works but has to be applied more often (you`ll be able to tell as the mold will wanna hang on the pins & give a different feel while closing.

Just a word on applying this type of lube . Some use a Q-tip , I use a tooth pick (on a warmed/hot mold) then with a dry Q-tip to smear the deposited lube around where it needs to be.

DO NOT get it into the cavitys , you`ll have to stop/cool down & clean the lube out as cleanin a new mold .

I hope this saves some time for ya .

Oh Yeah , they don`t come with handles, so order a set when ya order the mold.

Bet you`ll LUV the 6 banger & wonder "What took ya so long to try 1 !!

GP

Last edited by GP100man; October 24, 2013 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelun
Old October 25, 2013, 09:06 AM   #13
snuffy

Another tip

When you get the handles, and are casting with the mold, do NOT grasp all three handles. Only the two handles that attach to the mold blocks.

Grasping the sprue plate handle while casting, causes it to lift the sprue plate off the tops of the mold blocks, causing a fin on the base of the boolit, and a "tit" on the sprue cut-off.

Old October 27, 2013, 10:59 PM   #14
skizzums

yes, i am aware that i needed to get handles. snuffy, i am not sure what you are talking about exactly, but i will reember what you said when i put it too real-world usage.

i guess your saying, just dont touch the sprue handle, untill needed
Old October 28, 2013, 11:50 AM   #15
snuffy

Quote:
i guess your saying, just don't touch the sprue handle, until needed
Yup, forgive my inability to convey a clear message.

Old October 29, 2013, 02:08 PM   #16
maillemaker

I've got a 6-cavity Lee for .45 ACP with the truncated cone 230 grain tumble lube.

It's fantastic. It really cranks out the bullets. I cast up over 3000 bullets in no time with it.

Steve
Old November 2, 2013, 09:53 PM   #17
totalloser

I'm just getting back into it after five years in another distracting hobby (vff) but when I got started the aluminum molds were to be "smoked" in. I followed the included instructions that came with my molds (six cav for 9mm and .40) and all went well.

The instructions include more than I feel like typing out, so I'll just say follow them. I did and they worked fine.