The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 15, 2012, 10:38 PM   #1
vwwade

NJ impossible to get permit

So i wanted to come on the forum because i would like other peoples advice who have firearm experience. I live in NJ and we have the worst gun laws in country. They are not allowed to have gun shows in this state because of super tight laws. Anyway ive been using a bowtech 2.0 diamondrock bow for hunting and i really want a shotgun so i can go hunting and 9mm glock for home protection. ive tried getting my paperwork to get a gun, but because i got caught smoking weed when i was 19 (im 27)there is no way the state lets you get anything. I believe i have the right to protect my family but because i smoked a joint a longgggggg time ago i cant own a firearm. Everyone what should i do?
Old December 16, 2012, 12:17 AM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

There are a few members from New Jersey here who might be able to point you in the right direction, but my advice is going to be the same as theirs: you need to get in touch with a competent attorney who knows the local statutes and procedures.

Legal advice on a gun forum is worth the paper it's printed on.
Old December 16, 2012, 12:40 AM   #3
war_elephant

as a retired leo from NJ, I will second what Tom said. You will need to try to get an expungement of your record. You will need a good lawyer. Any other advice, would include move out of NJ as soon as possible. No other options.