The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old June 7, 2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Nervy Hitch

NY Handgun Laws in RV

We carry our guns for protection. (I do have a CC permit). Driving through NY, I would pay no regard with gun locked & hidden under the spare tire.

But in my case, what about a towed Camper?

All of what I read on a previous post is clear BUT what if one stops at a camp site for a few days and what, under a worse case scenario, one has to use it. what then? I Speak of the northwestern counties of NY.

-Sandy
Old June 7, 2011, 03:31 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

Are you a NYS resident with a NYS pistol permit?

If the answer is yes, then you can carry in the RV or a camper anywhere in NYS except NYC

If your answer is no, then you may not bring a handgun into NYS unless you are headed directly to another state that allows you to possess a handgun. Possession of an unregistered handgun in NYS is a felony, and you'll not enjoy the food in the county jail...

Overnight stays are completely out of the question.

info: http://www.handgunlaw.us/

Last edited by mikejonestkd; June 7, 2011 at 06:24 PM.
Old June 7, 2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Sarasota as in Florida?

It is unlawful for you to enter the state of New York with any handgun unless you are entered in a sanctioned, organized competition event. I am not certain about long guns, but I suspect you probably can't have them, either.
Old June 8, 2011, 08:55 AM   #4
NJgunowner

Ya, having a CC permit from a different state doesn't mean crap. Each state decides whether to honor another states permit.

Avoid NJ too... Actually just avoid the entire north East and California.
Old June 8, 2011, 02:57 PM   #5
Musketeer

NY requires a permit to own a handgun and honors NOTHING from out of state. If you have it locked away and are driving straight through you are covered federally. If you site see or stay over you are hosed.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old June 9, 2011, 07:21 PM   #6
Nervy Hitch

Yes Sarasota

Yes Sarasota as in Fl. Ex NY'er. we left during the Mario years. Taxes and politics the reason. This gun issue, (freedom / regulations) just more salt in the wound.

Still more salt: Driving up to Western NY via seven states in the interstate system about 1200 miles there are no tolls (except a few bridges). Then I hit the NY border and I90 becomes a toll road. Give me a break.

As for my hand gun (it only has a 10 round clip), I'll just hide it in the RV.

One more thing. I just bought a 1.75 litter bottle of Mt. Gay Rum for 18.99 in Fl its 33.75 in Lockport.

Sorry Didn't mean to get off subject, Still I love western NY (my wife is from there) and love spending the summer on Lake Ontario. I feel especially good about contributing minimally to the tax base. It's a love/hate thing I have with NY
Old June 9, 2011, 11:57 PM   #7
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Then I hit the NY border and I90 becomes a toll road. Give me a break.
It's the worst road I've ever driven on in NY, and it brings in more revenue than almost anything else.

As others have said -
If you don't have a NYS permit, it's illegal to stop over.

I was living just outside Rochester, when the local police departments were staking out the airport (ROC) for passengers claiming luggage that looked like firearm cases. It got really ugly, for the people that did not have permits. Of the cases that were being publicized by 2A groups and the NRA (3+ years ago), I don't know of anyone that ever won their appeals (after being convicted of illegal possession, or similar charges).

Your best bet is to avoid giving them the opportunity to search (if you still intend to take a weapon) - not that I'm advocating illegal actions.
Old June 10, 2011, 05:45 AM   #8
Musketeer

Quote:
As for my hand gun (it only has a 10 round clip), I'll just xxxxxxxx xxxxxxxx xxxx.
Word to the wise, recant that statement. Better off edit/delete it.

1. It would be foolish to believe LEOs and anti's aren't here willing to capitalize on such statements.

2. The rules of the forum prohibit any advocating of illegal behaviour.

3. Should anything happen to you the authorities regularly check your computer.

I see you are new so welcome but please be careful posting.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old June 10, 2011, 07:17 AM   #9
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I agree with Musketeer. It's your life and your call, but considering that the charge if caught is a felony and there won't be ANY way you can beat the rap (and the resulting lifetime prohibition from even touching a firearm), I wouldn't do it.
Old June 10, 2011, 08:46 AM   #10
NJgunowner

Stay over at a federal park that allows firearms Not sure if that would work, but it's all I can think of.
Old June 10, 2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Stay over at a federal park that allows firearms Not sure if that would work, but it's all I can think of.
That won't help at all. The new rule for National Parks is the same that was always in effect for National Forests -- they default to the laws in effect in the state in which the park is located. Non-residents may not bring firearms into New York state except for sanctioned competitions.

Don't make this more complicated than it is. It isn't good law, but it is the law. He cannot (legally) bring firearms into NY for his RV vacation.
Old June 11, 2011, 09:56 PM   #12
heyjoe

its a 3 1/2 year stretch now if you get caught
Old June 12, 2011, 01:32 PM   #13
Glenn E. Meyer

Since the OP seems to implying that he will try to evade the law and decides to tell the world on the Internet -

What to you think?

Closed.