The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 16, 2005, 10:50 PM   #1
Rodger Peterson

I shot my Alpha Chrony Master

Ok, now that you are done laughing. I have some questions. Will they fix it?
I'm guessing since I have the Master, I shot the inexpensive part. Anyone have any experience with this? Is it worth fixing or should I just replace it. Ok, it was a 45 colt 250 grain cast 946.7 fps bottom left corner. Don't know how I did it, everything was going great. By the way, plastic tripod blew up too.
Old January 16, 2005, 10:53 PM   #2
Kyote

Nope, not done yet!

I've had mine about 6 months and I was wondering about that too.

I don't think they will "fix" it for free but with enough $, anything is possible!

Good luck!
Old January 16, 2005, 10:56 PM   #3
Jim Watson

I think they charge around $35 for a bullet hole, call 'em up.

Lower left corner?
You anticipated the recoil, heeled the gun and yanked the trigger.
Old January 16, 2005, 11:24 PM   #4
Nnobby45

Oops

When I had the Pro Tach by Competition Electronics, the unit plugged into the sensor with a long cord. Any damage was to the sensor mounted on the tri pod, and not the control box, and they readily replaced it for me at a reasonable price. With hot .22 centerfires like the 22-250, I was constantly aiming as low as possible to get close to the sensor, or the velocity wouldn't always register. Pistol or big bore rifles were never a problem. I put a bullet thru the 1st sensor on a couple of occasions with my 22-250.

Now, I've upgraded to their Pro Chrono digital, which is an all in one unit. A low bullet here would be fatal to the entire unit. The good news is that this model is far more sensitive, and I can aim plenty high, get accurate readings, and not endanger the unit--even with Varmint rifles. I'm not familiar with the Alpha Chrony Master, so I don't know how bad your damage is. I think they might help you out as best they can. Competition Electronics is certainly a pleasant Company to do business with, and the Pro Chrono Digital is very small and accurate. They even gave me credit for sending in my old unit.
Old January 16, 2005, 11:42 PM   #5
Rodger Peterson

Nnobby45 you are right on target. I was aimimg low, as I have only had the unit out twice prior to this. Both times with an 06, no problems shooting about in the middle. This time I took a 22 with me to get it adjusted, unless I shot about 4" off the sensors I would get errors. Just after I shot it with the 45, I put 2 and 2 together. On the way back to the house, all I could think about was my wife saying I told you you would shoot it.
Old January 17, 2005, 01:01 AM   #6
Doug242ti

Rodger, to be honest, I wouldn't feel bad. Im sure there are plenty of "shot" chrono's out there... kind of like the time I filled my dodge diesel with 55 bucks worth the premium... then pulled out into traffic lol

**** happens, try not to beat yourself up over it.

(the best part of that diesel story is, once I got a buddy of mine to pull my truck out of traffic, I had to jump over the tow strap. When I did, my pants split (already had a tear in it) at the crotch and lost an entire pant leg.

in traffic. rush hour )
Old January 17, 2005, 01:11 AM   #7
Robert M Boren Sr

Yes you can send them in and have them replaced. In the back of your manual it has the instructions on how to do it. You send it to a place in New York state, and then they fix it. I believe it's cheaper than buying a new one so it's worth checking out.
Old January 17, 2005, 01:25 AM   #8
MTMilitiaman

.44 Mag whaaa...

Quote:
Yes you can send them in and have them replaced. In the back of your manual it has the instructions on how to do it. You send it to a place in New York state, and then they fix it. I believe it's cheaper than buying a new one so it's worth checking out.
Sounds like you're talking from experience
Old January 17, 2005, 01:30 AM   #9
Robert M Boren Sr

yup
Old January 17, 2005, 05:59 AM   #10
steveno

at least with an Oehler all you have to worry about shooting is a screen. I have an extra that has never been needed
Old January 17, 2005, 08:18 AM   #11
Thirties

In the PACT chronographs, the brains are not in the firing range. The most you can do is shoot the "eyes" which are about $5 each and replaceble with the aid of a phillips screwdriver.
Old January 17, 2005, 10:19 AM   #12
griz

You can check with them at their website.
I got them to replace all the electronics on mine and as I remember it was only about $40.
Old January 17, 2005, 11:02 AM   #13
Rottweiler

Welcome to the club.

Several chronos have died while I was in the vicinity. An AR 's sights are quite a bit higher than the bore than I thought and my little brother has a pretty good flinch with his .44. Since the last one died someone here recommended that I(or you tape a target to the rear sky screen and shoot the target. I havent seen one die since I started doing this
Old January 17, 2005, 12:50 PM   #14
Guy B. Meredith

A few months ago I received a new bottom end to replace the Gamma I nailed. I do not have the receipt but believe it was under $40.

Funny thing is that the thing kept tracking after a bullet smashed the front panel and another took out the upright pieces. (.38 spl 158 gr. WCB, 5.2 gr Win 231, Win small pistol primers, tracking at 900 fps.)
Old January 17, 2005, 02:26 PM   #15
Oldphart

Dead Chrony

I went through that once too. They don't even bother to repair your unit. They just send a new box and screens. I talked to them before I sent mine in and they told me to not bother sending the old one. I think it cost me $40 or so... and a certain amount of embarassment, of course.
Old January 17, 2005, 03:32 PM   #16
sleeping dog

Quote:
I filled my dodge diesel with 55 bucks worth the premium... then pulled out into traffic
So, it cost more to fill the tank than it'll cost to fix the chrony.

Doug, what was the damage to the vehicle?

Regards.
Old January 17, 2005, 05:30 PM   #17
JNewell

Quote:
the brains are not in the firing range
Same for the Chrony Master series like the Alpha Master that R. Peterson is asking about -- only the screens and sensors. The non-Master ones have the whole ball of wax downrange, more expensive to replace if/when they are hit.
Old January 17, 2005, 06:32 PM   #18
Doug242ti

Quote:
Doug, what was the damage to the vehicle?
depends on the dealers... stealership you go to The one I ALWAYS use (which is about an hour away) once I finally got the truck towed up there charged me 150 dollars. Drain the tank, replace the filters, refill with diesel. My local stealership wanted to charge me 2500 dollars, claiming that the lift pump was "destroyed". Tip, that much preminum will let your diesel run just long enough to pull into traffic before dying... about 30 seconds.

I felt better though, my service guy said everytime he gets a new lot attendent, they do the same damn thing. Dan even calls me to give me a bad time everytime they get one in with gas in it lol... makes me feel better
Old January 17, 2005, 07:51 PM   #19
Poygan

I've shot two chronys to date...you aren't even trying. BTW, fortunately, the second one is still functioning.
Old January 17, 2005, 10:09 PM   #20
Rodger Peterson

I called them today and they are sending me a new chrony housing for about 40 bucks. They didn't want me to send the old one. Next time someone asks me if I save alot of money reloading, well........ I will say this, the chronograph in my opionion is a must for me. If you remember my posts of protruding primers, it proved with the assistance of headspace guages that my Lee dies were creating the problem as many of you said. I was able to rule out hot loads, and light loads. Problem was solved $15.00 headspace guages, $107.00 Chrony, $40.00 shot chrony. For what I spent to solve problem I could have bought 12 boxes of factory ammo which I am tring to recreate. Amazing how much enjoyment can cost. I still enjoy the hobbie.
Old January 18, 2005, 12:48 PM   #21
30Cal

cheap replacable screens are a big selling point IMO. It's only a matter of time...

Ty
Old January 18, 2005, 04:03 PM   #22
Dusty Miller

Words I DON'T want to hear at the range, "Hey buddy, can I shoot a couple of rounds over your chronograph?". I've got my "Nope" all ready to roll off my tongue!
Old January 18, 2005, 04:34 PM   #23
Poodleshooter

Flinching has cost me one chrony, a misjudgement high scope mounted AR cost me another.
The Chrony folks are pretty good about replacements.
Old January 18, 2005, 07:52 PM   #24
JNewell

Quote:
I've got my "Nope" all ready to roll off my tongue!
Well, either that or "OK, but it cost me $xxx and I really need to have a cash deposit to cover the possibility that it's accidentally shot and destroyed."
Old January 18, 2005, 11:34 PM   #25
Robert M Boren Sr

Just say okay but I do the shooting.