The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2011, 09:07 PM   #26
Slamfire

Quote:
One of the reasons I use car wax (NuFinish) is because I feel the rounds go through my dies a lot easier. Just my opinion.
Don't doubt that at all. The surface of the cases has a thin layer of wax on them.
Old June 20, 2011, 09:42 PM   #27
TXGunNut

I use crushed walnut shells and the current batch has had a few birthdays. When I add polish I use Hornady's and let it run awhile. I use blue shop towels to clean the media now and then. I like shiny brass and this batch of media has delivered a huge pile of it for me.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 22, 2011, 01:04 PM   #28
OleGar48

Media and Polish

I run a Lyman 1200 tumbler and I use 2 lbs of walnut that I get from a pet supply (cheap, 7lbs for $9.00) I put my dirty brass in the tumbler and let it run for about 2 hours. I then add 4-6 dabs (little finger-nail size) of Mothers Aluminum and Metal Polish. (comes in a red and white tub, $5.00) Another two hours of tumbling and the brass looks better than new. The "dabs" of Mothers quickly disapates into the media. The next batch or two of brass just needs 2-3 hours of tumbling and seldom needs anymore Mothers.

This formula has worked great for me for many years.

OleGar
Old June 22, 2011, 04:35 PM   #29
poline

Shame on me, I forgot got to mention that I also use used dryer sheets. One each time, split into four strips two inches wide.
poline

Posts: 137 NuFinish car wax and mineral Spirits this is what I use with crushed walnut,
this works great! One cap Nufinish and half cap of mineral spirits.
I used corn cob once and end up picking it out of every .223 shell.

Oh almost forgot add the two to the crushed walnut and let it mix for twenty mins before you add the brass this keeps it from stricking to the inside of the shell.
Old June 22, 2011, 11:06 PM   #30
ragwd

Here is a link to a very similar thread that I started, seems as the mistake I made was using pet store media and pouring the polish in with the .223 cartridges at the same time. It expanded in side the bottle neck cartridge and it took me a long time to dig the media out of rifle cartridge. Dont think it would matter with a straight walled pistol cartridge or a larger caliber rifle.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=448432
Old June 23, 2011, 08:20 PM   #31
medalguy

Yeah straight walled will build up polish and media if it's all dumped in together. Don't even ask.
Old June 23, 2011, 09:14 PM   #32
sserdlihc

Quote:
DO not pour it on your Brass AND media. Pour it on the media, let it run for an hour and then add brass.
DITTO!

I also use Mequiers Cleaner wax. Like UncleBuck, it helps the brass to slide a little easier into the dies.
Old June 24, 2011, 04:21 PM   #33
B-RAD

Please show proof...

I don't use any wax in my tumbler, I just use 60% Lyman's Walnut with jewelers rouge and 40% Lyman's corn cob and a few used dryer sheets, for 5 hours and the brass is immaculate...

I use Hornady One Shot for lube as it doesn't harm powder or primers.

Is there any proof that car wax doesn't hurt powder, or neck tension, or holding the primer in the case?

Mostly worried about the wax hurting the powder as the others can be fixed easily.
Old June 25, 2011, 08:52 AM   #34
Uncle Buck

The wax is completely dry. I do not need to wipe of any lube (Except on rifle cases). There is nothing to left to interfere with the primer, powder or neck tension.

I am not sure how you think the dried wax could hurt the powder?