The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 21, 2012, 10:27 AM   #26
Pilot

I think it is wise to be careful what you post and say in public. It can and will be used against you if you display careless attitudes. Facebook, Twitter, etc are not your friends for many different reasons. Want to talk to a buddy, give him/her a call.
Old October 21, 2012, 11:10 AM   #27
buck460XVR

Quote:
I guess it's a good thing I do not have a FB or Twitter account. I have no need to share my life with fake online friends, or people from my past who I could care less about.

....and that is any different than making posts on a internet gun forum? On FB your posts are read only by folks that you allow to see them. Here, the whole world can read what you say. Truth is, what one says over their computer is no longer their property, nor is it forgotten tomorrow, regardless of venue.
Old October 22, 2012, 02:42 PM   #28
Beagle45ACP

The only time I've ever mentioned anything firearms related on FB was to "discuss" the merit of being able to own semi-automatic firearms. Even then, I only did so because the original status was posted by a law student who I am truthfully afraid of becoming a politician (she's wicked smart and ambitious) and writing some piece of legislature that would be able to find a loophole in the 2A and steal my guns. Did I get through to her and dissuade her from such an action? Sadly, probably not.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old October 25, 2012, 01:26 PM   #29
Skans

No facebook, myspace, twitter, or other type accounts for me.

Still, I suppose if someone got hold of my computer they could see that I have been to this board, and then subpoena the owner of this board for a list of posts with my IP address.
Old October 25, 2012, 01:34 PM   #30
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Good tip thanks Doublea A._
Old October 25, 2012, 02:50 PM   #31
RickB

We had (what appears to be) a road-rage murder recently, and shortly after the story broke, a video from a local USPSA match, featuring the accused, showed up in the news. 1000 miles away, the video clip was at the top of the story on news websites. It apparently played a part in the bail being set very high, as the demonstrated marksmanship abilities were determined to make the suspect a greater-than-normal danger to the public. Of course, he'd be a danger only if he were, in fact, the killer.
Old October 26, 2012, 08:43 AM   #32
Rifleman1776

It is paranoia.
What a lawyer seeks and what he gets are very different matters.
Social networking sites are not private. Any intelligent person realizes that and posts accordingly. You would not talk loudly in a crowded restaurant about an illicit affair, why do it on FaceBook?
Complete non-issue in my opinion.
Old October 26, 2012, 09:51 AM   #33
Glenn E. Meyer

Got a link or more info Rick B. We like to collect such for our private data bases.

Thanks

Glenn
Old October 27, 2012, 02:47 PM   #34
federali

Doublea A has a valid point.

While we have a 1st Amendment right to post what we please, your words can indeed be used to impeach your credibility and character. I participate in about eight firearms forums with a combined posting total of about 4000 items. I choose my words carefully, always encourage people to work within the law and to consider an armed response an absolute last resort.

I don't do anything in Facebook, twitter, etc. So, the lawyers can look. I'm perfectly confident they'll find nothing that can help them. But yes, they will look if they are competent lawyers.
Old October 27, 2012, 08:19 PM   #35
chaim

I'm a teacher. Not only can a person be denied a job based on what they say on Facebook, but teachers have been fired. Teachers have been fired for even non-controversial stuff: a teacher in NJ for posting European vacation photos of her having wine with dinner, a teacher in the midwest (I think MI) who had all the right privacy settings was fired for refusing to turn over her password to administration, a teacher in NJ is on suspension for posting against a gay rights exhibit (OK, controversial, but what about the 1st Amendment), and many teachers have been fired for statements critical of parents, administration or students (even if they don't name names). These are only a few examples. I learned before I even got on Facebook to be extremely careful of anything I say (I am even quite limited in the most appropriate and careful political statements on FB). I am quite aware that everything you say online can be found, used against you by someone, and that they never really go away (even after they are deleted).