The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 15, 2000, 08:44 PM   #1
ol blue

Gentlemen, I recently purchased used a Remington 700 PSS in .223. The rifle is a real shooter, and I love it, but it seems to have a problem. When you lift the bolt handle and close it,(as if to dry fire it), it usually will not cock. Occasionally it will. If you lift the bolt and pull it back slightly before closing it, it will cock. The trigger is lighter than factory, I would guess about 2.5 lbs. I don't know how big a problem this is, or if this is something I should be worried about. Possibly the trigger hasn't been set up properly? Anyone know what's going on? Thanks....ol blue
Old December 16, 2000, 06:52 PM   #2
4V50 Gary
Staff

Methinks that the sear is not catching the firing pin. Bring your gun into a reputable dealer and have them adjust the trigger.
Old December 17, 2000, 11:28 AM   #3
700PSS Shooter

Having just adjusted the trigger on my PSS following the instructions posted on http://www.snipercountry.com, it appears to be the overtravel screw is set too tight. Sear engagement could also be at fault, but from my trials and errors, I would go overtravel.

On test for too tight a sear is to cock the rifle, off safe, and drop the butt on the floor from 6"-9" up. It should not fire.

A second test is to cock the rifle, apply the safety, pull the trigger, flick safety off. It should not fire. I then will do the first test.

If it fires, start over and be more conservative. I have mine at 2.75-3 pounds and it is sharp and crisp with no problems.
Old December 17, 2000, 12:30 PM   #4
ol blue

I have tried the tests you decribe with no problems, but think I will get it checked out anyway, just to set my mind at ease. Thanks guys....ol blue
Old December 18, 2000, 12:21 AM   #5
700PSS Shooter

After your post, I tried a Model 7 at a local shop. It did the same thing. I then went into the safe and checked my other 700's. They all do as you say, i.e., if you do not move the bolt back, it does not catch. Of the 3 rifles, 2 are factory adjusted. If you move it even a tiny bit (and I mean tiny) it catches. Probably why I never noticed before, and I have had the one rifle for 25 years with hundreds of rounds through it.

The same thing happens to my new Kimber .22.
Old December 18, 2000, 12:41 AM   #6
ol blue

PSS, I think I have discovered the same thing. For many years I have had Mod 70 Wins., and they do not need The bolt to back up slightly to cock. I talked to another guy on another board who said this was normal, so checked at the local gun dealer, the 700's he has do the same thing. I had heard several negative things lately about the saftety of Rem. 700 triggers, so thought I might have a problem. So,....welcome to the world of Rem 700's I guess! I do really like this rifle. It just lays em in there time after time. Thanks for getting back to me on this....ol blue
Old December 19, 2000, 08:04 AM   #7
700PSS Shooter

I, for one, have never heard a negative about a properly adjusted Remington trigger. In fact, I generally hear they are among the best of the factory triggers for non-full-bore target rifles.

But, in this day and age there is no accounting for operator error and then blaming the hardware.
Old December 19, 2000, 01:19 PM   #8
ol blue

PSS, Here is a link to another forum where the subject of the safty of Rem. 700 triggers is being discussed... http://www.huntamerica.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/003788.html ...ol blue
Old December 19, 2000, 07:44 PM   #9
HankL

Nice post going on over at HuntAmerica. After reading the post here I got curious and did a walk around the room.
Mod 700 Sendero, same deal as ol blue describes. The trigger is factory stock with a 5 1/2 lb. pull. Mod 700 with trigger adjusted to 2 1/4 lbs, same deal. Mod 7 adjusted to 2 1/8 lbs, same deal. {The last two were adjusted by people other than myself.} Mod 700 PSS adjusted to 3 1/4 lbs by me cocked every time.

I don't know what conclusions, if any, I should draw from this as ALL of the rifles will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. All of the Remington 700/7/40x rifles that I have do not have the bolt lock feature that has caused some problems in the past. All of the rifles remain cocked during manipulations of the trigger and saftey as well as being dropped on their butts from 8" onto a hard surface.

Just for the heck of it the 40XBR with 2 oz. trigger cocked every time! Apples and oranges I know but it was there and I wanted to know!
Old December 20, 2000, 09:23 AM   #10
700PSS Shooter

From my review of the HuntAmerica posts, I did not find any empirical evidence that the design is flawed, just that it can be adjusted incorrectly. Some drawings would be nice. And lots of opinions back and forth. Only one post really got into design specifics. However, I will carefully re-read and check my 700's for some of the cited measurements just in case. (Not a believer, but also not a fool. ) (Thanks for a new board! )

Re: adjusted triggers being at fault. Saying this is a design flaw is like saying that if you set the idle of your car at 5000 RPM, that it moves forward too quickly when you let off the brake, that the manufacturer made a faulty design.

<< I know there are 1000's, no 10's of thousands, of lawyers who make a living representing people who are candidates for Darwin awards. That aside, it is still not the fault of the design. A good lawyer could get a jury to convict or award money to a sandwich. >>

I still find that it appears to be "excessive headspace", or more correcly operator (or adjuster) error, couple with some poor gunhandling.

From the previous post my vintage 1977 700 deer rifle has the bolt locked feature, the PSS and LTR do not. I see no difference in feel. I also was drilled that when a cartridge is chambered, always have the gun at the target or downrange when manipulating any of the controls..., bolt, action, safety, trigger.

In adjusting any trigger with screw adjustments, you adjust the screw until it feels and works right, and then back of 1/8-1/4 turn. This ensures it is not at the ragged edge.

Bill
Old December 21, 2000, 02:48 PM   #11
ol blue

PSS, I guess my reading of the posts over to H.A. is a little different than yours. The way I get it, there may well be a problem with the design of the R700 trigger, not having anything to do with the adjustment. (although poor adjustment can be a problem in itself) That being said, proper gun handling safety would have averted most if not all of those tragedies that occured. Obviously, even if you know 100 percent that your rifle safe, you never allow that muzzle to point at anyone, ever. Be safe.....ol blue