The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 2, 2012, 03:05 PM   #26
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
Went to the range again last night and slowed things down a bit. Definitely felt like I made more progress than last time.
My bad, I should have realized you were shooting at an indoor range but the answer is the same. Use a reduced target like this one and really bear down on each single shot by looking at that front sight until the gun goes off. If you have one box of 50 rounds and you don't finish them in an hour but your groups are good you done good.

At 50' use this: http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/pics/B2.gif

At 25 yards use this: http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/pics/B35.gif

or this: http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/pics/B16.gif

At 50 yards use this: http://www.pistoleer.com/targets/pics/B6.gif

I prefer the 3" bull over the 5" bull at 25 yards for slow fire. But I have been doing this for more than 50 years. If you can stay inside 8" at 50 yards you will eat out the center at 25. It isn't a fast process, takes time, lots of trigger time, remember you are shooting for fun so relax and enjoy the process. One day it will click and you will wonder what happened.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old February 2, 2012, 03:25 PM   #27
Sarge

Quote:
My question is: How many rounds per hour do you fire at the range and why?

Enough to accomplish the task of refining whatever skillset(s) I'm working on, that particular day. This also largely determines the speed of fire and volume expended.

Sometimes, I shoot just to have fun. 'all work & no play'...
Old February 2, 2012, 06:33 PM   #28
m&p45acp10+1

For me there is almost never a rush on my range time. I pay for a yearly membership. If the sun is setting then I know there is not much time left though I am not in a hurry. (Well exeapt maybe to get out of there, so I can go home to a good meal, and a cold beverage.) I do not have to worry about this is the only time I get for the month. I know the next few days I will make my way back to the range.

I typicaly spend at least 2 hours at the range. Most times it is even longer than that. I am a casual shooter. I am at the range to have fun. With that mindset my day at the range is always a good day.

As far as how much ammo I shoot depends on what I am shooting at that time. Since I cast lead, and relaod I can burn a lot of ammo on a janitor's pay. Sometimes I shoot fast, a lot of moving, and point shooting. Sometimes it is slow deliberate, and concentrating a small groups. I also have my rifle at the range too. I shoot the handgun for a bit then go shoot the rifle. I take a break for the barrell to cool off, and go shoot the handgun. I have a soda pop and shoot the breeze for a while to kill some time as well.
Old February 4, 2012, 09:02 AM   #29
Cycrops

Thank you for the advice on targets Old Grump. The ones I used in my last session have a small red bullseye and I found it was tough to pick it up beyond 7 yards.

I'm looking forward to the Spring when I can do a little outdoor shooting. The lighting in the range I visit is a bit dim.