The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Closed Thread

Old March 3, 2009, 06:42 PM   #1
DanThaMan

What's so bad about Wolf ammo?

Upon buying my Rock River Ar 15, the owner of the shop promptly told me if I shot a single Wolf bullet through it, I would void the warranty. I know that the casings of wolf rounds are steel as opposed to brass, but, for the newbie, explain to me all that is so terrible about Wolf. The prices are so great, I really want to buy them in bulk before the prices skyrocket.

Are they unreliable in ARs?
Do they jam easily?
Are they dirty?
Will they damage the gun?
Anything else at all i should know?
Old March 3, 2009, 06:45 PM   #2
ar15chase

It is coated with a laquer. When they get hot the laquer melts causing a awful mess, and more strain on your ejector. I learned this the hard way with my AR-15's. I still have about 400 rds of it that I refuse to shoot.
Old March 3, 2009, 06:55 PM   #3
Doyle

Ar15chase's answer is true with respect to .223. Other Wolf ammo may or may not be coated. One of the problems with Wolf is that they don't manufacture ammo themselves. They contract it out to many subcontractors. For example, I shoot 9x18 Makarov caliber. Wolf Military Classic 9x18 is pretty decent stuff it is made by Prvi Partisen(sp?). The stuff they had prior to that was absolute crap and was made somewhere else.
Old March 3, 2009, 06:57 PM   #4
DanThaMan

I just read on another thread that Wolf ammo does not fragment because that have a thicker metal jacket... that is not good. Can anyone refute or confirm this?
Old March 3, 2009, 06:58 PM   #5
91slicktop

ARchase, i will gladly buy that wolf off you.

I've shot 60 rounds of the wolf through my M&P with no problems. I clean my gun after everytime I shoot. I have another friend whos put several hundred if not throusands of wolf rounds through his Custom AR setup without flaw.
-Remington 700 .308 (Sold)
Old March 3, 2009, 07:09 PM   #6
tooldawg99

Another opinion

I have fired at least 300 rounds thu my S&W AR15 and never had an issue once. Not one FTF or FTE. Clean after every shooting session, as normal, but have found no reason NOT to shoot this ammo. It is affordable and goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

If someone wanted to sell me an AR15 and said it couldn't handle WOlf ammo, I think I would find another AR to buy.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:11 PM   #7
91slicktop

as far as the wolf not fragmenting. This i don't know. But if your just using it to punch holes in paper/targets to get to know your rifle, it doesn't really matter.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:15 PM   #8
TheManHimself

It's dirty and underpowered (low velocity), but if it doesn't cycle an AR reliably something else is wrong. Wolf just shows the problem better because it's dirtier and isn't cycling the action as violently. The only real caveat with Wolf ammo if the weapon is in-spec and properly lubricated, is that since the steel cases don't expand to seal the chamber as well as brass, carbon builds up in the chamber and will need to be cleaned out regularly.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:16 PM   #9
thinkingman

Shop owner is an idiot....find a new shop.
Wolf is dirty, not real accurate, and may have a dud now and then, but unless you are abusing the rifle, not a threat to your warranty.

I wish I had a list of gunshop quotes.

Idiots.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:18 PM   #10
partemisio

I shot a lot of wolf ammo out of my sks and my friends ak with no problems.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:19 PM   #11
shepherddogs

I've checked Wolf ammo with a chronograph and velocities were erratic in 223. The other Russian stuff Silver Bear wouldn't cycle the actions in 2 of my 45s. I won't buy anymore Russian stuff. Other than 7.62 x 39 of course. They've got that down pretty good.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:24 PM   #12
91slicktop

A case of 1,000 wolf rounds you can get for around $300.

I bought a half case of another brand, to lazy to check what it was, brass cased and a that good jaz for $260.

If your target shooting, just do the math on which is more economical to practice with
Old March 3, 2009, 07:28 PM   #13
rshanneck2002

the price already went up, 2 yrs ago or so,miss the old days of 3 or 4 yrs back,1,000 rds $89.99. i have used it somewhat in a few ARs that i own but in generally run it thru 223 AKs mostly same with 7.62x39. i am amazed how everyone on the various boards always worry about their weapons estractor so much, if it breaks replace it along with firing pins or anything else in this area,its not like you have to take out a bank loan or something for these items.the AR is a easy rifle to work on really,now you can spend alittle change like $125 on up to $200 for the whole bolt area if it needs replacing but then again no bank loan.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:29 PM   #14
Spur0701

This is in regards to 5.56.......The older green cased Wolf had a laquered case and would melt and stick in hot chambers sometimes. Current production Wolf has a grey polymer coating on the steel case that eliminates this problem. While it is true that steel cases are harder on ejectors and extractors than brass it's not a serious systemic problem. Over the last 5 years or so I've put about 50,000 rounds of polymer coated Wolf 5.56 through a dozen differt full auto ARs, some were Colt M-4's some where M16A1s rebuilt with commerical part kits. I've had no real problems, maybe a stuck case every 1,000 rounds or so....zinc coated steel cased Silver Bear seemed to be a little worse, 2 stuck rounds per 1,000...this is annidotal.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:36 PM   #15
91slicktop

This was a target i shot at the first time i took my AR out. Not sure If i need to adjust my rear sights or if it was something i did shooting, but seemed a little low right.

Although not too bad of grouping, shots were about 30 yards. At some points I went rapid fire as well. My shots are around the X in the middle. The shots around the 7-8 etc were from a different shooter and gun
Old March 3, 2009, 07:40 PM   #16
45Marlin carbine

Wolf not good in my M30

is dirty when it goes 'bang' and hit-or-miss ejection.
this was from a few boxes I bought at 'fun show' about 10 yrs back.
I've read and heard the 'Military Classic' is much better but have'nt tryed it.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:41 PM   #17
troy_mclure

im a big fan of wolf gold medal match in .22lr.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 3, 2009, 07:45 PM   #18
Slamfire

Oil the cartridges. If the breech friction is too high with lacquer, get some oil on the outside of the cases. You don't need much, just needs a very thin coat. But that will provide enough friction reduction that extraction won't be a problem.

Older machine gun designs had oilers, like the Nambu Type 11. http://www.dragonsoffire.com/photos_...NAMBULIGHT.htm Those things had breech friction problems, and oil was the cure.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:48 PM   #19
Matt19

Wolf also has been known to have some quality control issues from time to time.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:51 PM   #20
Purity

Quote:
The older green cased Wolf had a laquered case and would melt and stick in hot chambers sometimes. Current production Wolf has a grey polymer coating on the steel case that eliminates this problem. -Spur0701
I bought some boxes at a Gun Show of the Poly coat, and not paying attention bought two boxes of the Lacquered coat(I just use them in my single shot rifle)

One problem a friend and I ran across with his Bushmaster was that since the Steel didn't expand and seal as well as brass it left the chamber dirtier. After putting a couple hundred rounds of Wolf through it we had jamming problems when we tried to switch to Brass cases.

After a quick cleaning no problems though.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:52 PM   #21
KROIL

Filthy , nasty , somewhat accurate ammo. I think the powder was made from what they found on the floor in back of a cow. BUT its cheap and if it comes down to shootin or not........
Old March 3, 2009, 07:56 PM   #22
Creature

Buy the cheap GOOD stuff...Prvi Partizan.
Old March 3, 2009, 07:58 PM   #23
Wildalaska

Quote:
Shop owner is an idiot....find a new shop.
Wolf is dirty, not real accurate, and may have a dud now and then, but unless you are abusing the rifle, not a threat to your warranty.

I wish I had a list of gunshop quotes.

Idiots.
Hey lookie, I'm an idiot too, because I think the stuff is crap and have seen it screw up ARs...so we wont sell it...

And IIRC, CCMG and Delton states that Wolf voids warranties, and every AR maker has an improper ammo claim...so guess what happens when your extractor blows, among other things

WildgodiamsostupidtodisswolfthankgodforthenettosetmestraightAlaska ™
Old March 3, 2009, 10:00 PM   #24
3StrikesNC

S&W, M&P15, about 1000 rounds of Wolfe Mil Classic Hollow Points. No problems, no issues, not a single mis-fire, stuck case, or anything. Do get an occassional flyer at 200 yds., high to the left.

That's it. That's my experience.
Old March 3, 2009, 10:17 PM   #25
Wrothgar

So if not wolf (the only AK ammo I can find around here) what kind should I get?
Closed Thread

Tags
5.56 , ammo , river , rock , wolf